“Food OK, Empty on a Saturday night.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chiquito - Port Solent - CLOSED

Chiquito - Port Solent
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Food OK, Empty on a Saturday night.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I visited this restaurant for a work Christmas Party, however, it was simply lacking any Christmas Spirit. We had a democatic vote to see which Port Solent establisment was most popular, this time we proved that democracy is not the best policy! We walked in to be shown to our table, we have pre-booked a table for 17, but were shown to a table of 15 and even that was a little cramped, especially since it included a circular booth at one end where four people were expected to sit.

So, after finally sitting down and getting ready for our food, we thought, 'right, let's get into the Xmas spirit!'

It was a little difficult since the establishment had no Xmas decorations, I think there may have been a small tree at the entrance, but I vaguely remember that. We had no christmas crackers, no party hats or party poppers, it was like we had gone there for no particular reason! Very disappointing!

We managed to look past this as we eagerly awaited our food. Unfortunately, and I really hate saying this, but it was more disappointing that the lack of Christmas spirit.

We ordered drinks, which we had to chase up because they never appeared after nearly 20 minutes. As explained, it was pratically empty so the serving staff were not over stretched.

I had the mushroom starter....I can explain it in one very simple analogy. Do you remember 'Fun House' with Pat Sharp? They always had that game with a large bucket of gunge and you had to find small objects to win the game. It was a bit like that. Plenty of sauce, very few mushrooms.

For the main course I had the burger. That was very well cooked and very nice. I also enjoyed the seasoned fries. I cannot complain about the main course, it was too my taste and very filling, but around me I could see plates being past forward and back. They were returning to the kitchen as they were cold. Again, we need to appreciate that there were very few people in the restaurant. at this time.

I was very keen to try the Churros. We all know Chiquito has not been as good since they removed 'Deep Fried Ice Cream' from the menu, but I'd paid for a dessert. Churros are like a deep fried mexican doughnut. Mine were not. They had an over greasy crust, but the middle had seemed to have disappeared. The texture showed that they had been cooked some time before being served leaving them a dry hollow shell.

I don't like giving bad reviews, so I will add some positive points.

I love the decor, and a really like the drinks options.

Staff were friendly and attentive.

The food was flavourful and if served hot, would have been excellent.

Bring back Deep Fried Ice Cream.

I would still visit here again, but always on the side of caution, but I definitely wouldn't have a Christmas party here again!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Anglokurisu

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Tired and shabby”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visited mid afternoon on a Saturday and although the restaurant was almost empty the floor in our area was in dire need of a sweep, with spilled food that stayed trodden underfoot throughout our visit. Service was pretty slow considering the lack of customers, but the food was quite nice, especially the sweet potato fries that came with my mango cod. The décor was tired and dull, especially compared to the vibrant folksy ambience at the Gunwharf Chiquito's, I think I'll stick to that one in future.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Fiona D
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I love Mexican food, however I might never go back to Chiquitos. I went there on a Sunday afternoon, it wasn't so busy, even though, we waited for 20 minutes at the bar so the waitress could find us a table. While at the bar, we ordered some drinks.
We were on our table and ordered the food (and no drinks yet). The food came after 20 minutes or so, and it was just ok, nothing I would go back for. And then, only then, we got our drinks...
There was a birthday party on a table next to ours, and the woman was yelling at the waiter because of the food... It was really bad.
Overall, service and food are poor, I will probably not go back.

• Visited October 2013
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable, but pick your dish carefully”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I like Chiquito's. I have lost count of the number of times I have eaten there but I can honestly say that I have never had a bad meal yet. The reason for my cautionary note in the title of this review is that this is Mexican food you are eating and the Mexicans do like their spices. However, if you are careful when ordering you do not have to spend the next two hours with a burnt tongue. I usually choose the fajitas but do watch the filling. The beef can be tough and some of the other fillings too hot but the prawn, standard chicken and vegetarian are fine. Fajitas are a messy meal to eat so be prepared and grab every table (paper) napkin you can reach.

The desserts are particularly tasty and I really like the one with cinnamon and ice cream.

One thing I must mention is the Drinks Menu. At too many restaurants these days you are invited to choose your drink almost before your bottom has made contact with the seat. Resist! Chiquito's has a great selection of cocktails which make a very tasty long drink and are great value for money, so study the Drinks Menu before ordering your beverage.

Service is cheerful. Atmosphere is noisy, noisier than I would like, but for that quality of food and drink I can forgive a lot.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank DoctorBrian2013
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Good food but old and dated ..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

As we walked in the atmosphere looked good and inviting .. The restaurant was busy but only had to wait about 4min to be seated, the waitress was very friendly and polite ... My wife and i were taken to a table that seated 4 .. The 2 bench seats either side were so worn that the fabric on both sides had rescinded and bared only the foam padding underneath and many of the lamp shades around the restaurant were either twisted or bulbs not working ... But that aside we sat down and looked through the menu which from the start made my mouth water .. A tad confused with the back ground music though, one minute it was Mexican and the next it was English pop ?? Now for what we went for !! Nooo complaints about the food at all .. we chose a mixed combo to share for starter and it was perfect .. The wife and I chose different mains which were also beautifully cooked .. A melt in the mouth experience ( and I am fussy ) I chose the lemon sorbet for desert and that was good too .. The whole bill for the 2 of us came to £72 but that was our fault due to the wine we chose ( told you I was fussy ) The only let down for the night was the worn out seating and tired décor and the somewhat mixed music for a Mexican restaurant ... But all in all the food was excellent, beautifully cooked and well presented ..
The waitress we had was how ever waitress should be .. Attentive but not intrusive, so much was I impressed by her professionalism and unlike me .. I gave her a £15 tip ... But how sad the company could let the furniture and décor get so worn and dated when they get get everything else so right .. All said and done .. Well worth the visit ..

• Visited November 2013