Queen's Hotel
$120
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$87
$128
$136
$113
  • Breakfast included
Number Four Boutique Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$56
Best Western Royal Beach Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$76
  • Pool
$138
Priceline
Travelocity
All reviewssea viewsunday carverylovely old hotelisle of wightsea frontthird floorbuffet stylelovely roomgunwharf quayshistoric dockyardedwardianweddingtlcfoyerseafronthovercraftvenue
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 25, 2009

The Queens was far better than I expected. We had a family room (233) on the 2nd floor at the back of the hotel. Our room was huge and had a separate single bedroom off it for our 10 year old son. The bathroom was also huge. Decor and bathroom all looked newly done and very clean. The position of the hotel is excellent on Southsea common. We ate in the restaurant both in the evening (2 courses for £11.50) and for breakfast and the food was excellent - the staff in the restaurant were also excellent. I agree with other comments that some of the staff could be far more friendly. On trying to check in early the first reception was most unhelpful and looked utterly miserable - however other two receptions were much better. Customer service and staff training could make all the difference to the front of house. Overall we had a great stay. Free parking was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We had a 1 night stay at Queen's Hotel, Portsmouth - this was booked for my husband's 40th birthday by his work colleagues. I was dubious about our stay as I'd previously read the reviews on Trip Advisor. From what we could tell the location is fine, we walked to Gunwharf Quay which took about 20 mins once we asked a passerby directions - no maps or guides in the reception. Upon arrival to the hotel, we drove passed who I take to be the manager, he looked in the car at us and we smiled at him. We checked in at 2pm (check in time) and went up to the room. My husband is 6 ft and we were allocated a tiny Queen bed room. My husband didn't fit on the bed! I immediately went downstairs to reception to ask if we could change to a King room, after the manager staring at me blankly for a while, he asked me how tall my husband is - I said "6 foot" he said "tell him to dangle his feet off the end of the bed" and laughed (to himself) and argued that they are big beds, I said it wasn't big enough if my husband won't fit in it though, he just looked away and hoped I would disappear, he then said "how long are you staying for?" I said "1 night" to this he rolled his eyes and shifted about a bit more! He said they were full to capacity and if we'd come and asked 10 mins ago then there may have been a chance he could do something and gestured towards a hen party checking in (he saw us arrive remember so he knew full well we'd only arrived 10 mins ago), and if he could change us they would and if they couldn't he'd give us a bottle of wine and we could make sure we were drunk and wouldn't care or notice! In total he asked me 4 times which room number we were in, only the last time with reference to getting drunk did he make an effort to write down our room number - begrudgingly to show he was appearing to do something about it, obvious to me though that he couldn't give a stuff if we paid him £90 to sleep on a bed of nails, so long as the room had been paid for (which it was upon check in! - no wonder they want people to do this as people must have legged it). This is absolutely appalling customer service. And the shower in the morning was a trickle which took 5 mins to heat up and no way could it have hung from the wall. Ladies - forget trying to wash your hair under it! The communal areas were very tired looking and the lift smelt of a wet dog. There's a Holiday Inn just up the road - come out with your back to the door and turn right and follow the main road and you will see it opposite the Green, see if they're available instead of staying here and gracing this obnoxious man with your good money!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wantlottowin
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We have just come back from a weekend 2 night stay at the Queens Hotel, and couldn't be happier with our stay. We stayed in a Superior Deluxe Sea View Room which had a private balcony and views across to the Isle of Wight. The room was huge with an enormous bed, table and 2 chairs, leather chair, desk, wardrobe, 2 bedside tables and a tall boy, plus flat screen tv. Very comfortable, modern decor with a historic feel to the building. Breakfast was delightful, everything you could want. Bus stop next to hotel takes you to the Station/Quay for £1.30 per person (takes about 5 minutes) although you can easily walk it. On both nights of our stay there were functions in the hotel, we could hear the music from our room - but it didn't disturb us or keep us awake. I would recommend trying Mozzarella Joes which is a 2 minute walk across the park on the seafront. We were so happy with our whole trip it really was a bit of a disappointment to come home!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Had a great 1 night stay at this hotel - and I'm so glad we did! Great room with balcony overlooking the sea and the Isle of Wight. Room had very large comfy bed, fantastic heavy brocade curtains that must have cost a bomb! Incredibly clean, nice bathroom with everything you needed. 2 criticism's though - no mini bar for those that way inclined and the controls on the shower were pretty non existent! Free parking though was a real bonus!!

Staff very friendly and helpful - breakfast staff very good and breakfast was really excellent value! Bacon and Sausages good quality, nice fruit in the fresh fruit salad, yogurts sourced locally. I would return to this hotel again and happy to recommend.

As an aside - please be careful of the local 'convenience' shops - I was ripped of by change of a fiver not a ten as I had given!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Stayed here on the 15th April part of our sight seeing trip around the south of England, Hotel looked great from the outside and did not lets us down we picked this one purely by driving by and walking in, rate was £74.00 room only, room was Ok clean and well appointed, we were tired so had room service food was good, also parking was free.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple