“Wedding Reception”
Review of Queen's Hotel

Queen's Hotel
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We booked our wedding reception at the Queens Hotel after it was recommended to us by a friend. It was the perfect day all around and having it at the Queens really made it that much more special. From the minute all of our guests arrived until the last one left the following morning everyone recieved 1st class service. Having a wedding at the Queens is never going to be cheap, but this really was a case of "you get what you pay for." And was worth every penny. Every member of staff that dealt with us was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and they were never far away if you needed them for anything. The food was great and all of our guests commented on how nice the food was. The lay out of the table with all the decorations was perfect and made one bride very happy! We even had a member of staff Chris who was in charge of looking after our wedding giving us advice on the best way to set out a wedding reception such as the best time to cut the cake etc. That made such a difference as the reception had a far better structure to it than we had planned. Another nice touch by the Queens was that we hadn't thought of hiring a wedding cake table. When we arrived the cake was sat on one at no extra charge and no member of staff even mentioned it to us. A real classy touch. The director of the hotel even came over and asked how it was going and took a genuine interest in our day, which we thought was nice. All in all a fantastic day had by everyone and just so glad we made the right choice and had our big day at the Queens.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Queens last week,and the beauty of the building always amazes me. Our room was beautifully clean and its the sheer size that makes it feel liike a very special treat. We ate in the restaurant and the food was ok. Passable. Moving on to the service. We had the pleasure of being looked after by Melanie and it is care and absolutely nothing is too much trouble that made us feel so welcome and at ease.
All i will say is i do love the Queens but to add ,that upon receiving such wonderful service and care we will be back sooner than expected with some very dear friends so as to share this experience.
Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was the worst carvery I have ever had in my life. I had just finished the Great South Run - was exhausted and starving - and thought a lovely carvery would end the event wonderfully. What a disappointment. We five had to wait 20 minutes to be shown to a table for four in an large room filled with empty laid tables. Despite waiting they still had to lay a further place as we sat. No menu's were forthcoming. Drinks were requested and the waitress said "I'll be right with you" went to the back of the room and subsequently engaged in conversation with her "mate" and never came back. The food was dreadful, tepid, dry, tasteless and ridiculously expensive! When drinks came they were in juice glasses to would barely slake a thirst. The vegetarian option was almost thrown at my niece. We couldn't even pay at the table but had to go to the till where the hand held was because "everyone uses it so we can't bring it to the table!" I am NEVER going back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Great location within walking distance to shop, beach and many other attractions. We had a very large room with a view to the beach. Very clean rooms with Large bath and king size bed. Bed comfortable with nice linen. They also have tea, coffee and biscuits in the rooms. Free internet that can be used in the room. Not a great variety to choose from for dinner. Meal was average and a over priced fro what you get. My husband and I ordered and paid for two drinks at the bar and then sat down for a meal. During our meal my Husband got up and got two more drinks and also paid for them at the bar. Just check you bull as they charged us for the second lot of drinks again on the meal bill.. Staff are a bit young and really do not know what they are doing. A shame as it is a lovely clean big hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We came here for Sunday Lunch the day of the Great South Run. After a minor confusion with our seating, we were promptly served drinks and given our tickets for the Sunday Carvery. The Beef meat was tough- (the Chef even remarking "Well it is overcooked"!!) the Ham however was lovely. "The Roast" potatoes were deep fried. There was no carrots but the staff were very obliging and upon request brought over a bowl of carrots and runner beans. Service was very friendly but confused. The decor in the main restaurant seemed quite nice but in the room we were in we were sat on cheap conference chairs. We asked for a tea which didn't arrive and the bill took about half an hour to come, with several staff members coming over and asking if we a) had it and b) what table we were on. Might return in the future as the price was very good.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Going to a reunion in Portsmouth so decided to spend the weekend but found we couldn't get Saturday as everywhere was all booked because of The Run. Just stayed 1 night in a building that we find very inviting. Mixed experience. Girl at the desk was very friendly, signed us in and we got the parking permit..........won't stay in any hotel that doesn't provide parking. We were about to enter the lift when she came up behind us and said the hotel took payment in advance! Sorted and up to our room which was very spacious and clean apart from a smut on the brilliantly white pillow. Odd no one chose to change it as it glared greyly at us. Tea and coffee and TV provided and a couple of comfortable chairs. The room looked out over the front door to the beach with views of the Isle of Wight and the harbour entrance. There was a large wardrobe with only six hangers of the non-stealable variety (hate them) and one had actually been removed anyway. On this occasion I could have used more. Why such a big wardrobe? A brief walk took us to the shops at Palmerston Rd, bit of shopping then back to prepare for an early dinner. Nice bathroom but I can never manage those strange arrangements that feed water either to the bath of the shower, so had a bath. I like what they've done to the bathrooms, seemingly the hardware was fairly new but the style of the wash basin and taps was very old fashioned and fit the hotel well. The taxi booked by the receptionist was on time (she hadn't told us that there was a courtesy phone to the taxis but had done it for us herself). We returned about 1am and had to ring for admission and waited quite a while. Nice comfy bed if a bit bouncy, but my husband found it a bit short. We both slept well. The room was very warm although the heating was not on at all. Breakfast was served in a lovely linen cloths sort of room with high ceilings and a great view over the gardens and the beach and there was a fair spread on offer. Being on a low carb diet I had to chose between cereals or a croissant (my husband said they were really nice and fresh) or toast and settled for the toast at the end of my meal. So I drank coffee while he had his cereals and watched the girls at work. They were very slick at removing used plates, nothing was left sitting about for long and vacated tables were quickly cleared but they did have about 5 people on duty. They were all very pleasant and cheerful but one with very long tied back hair had long loose side bits that weren't tied back, not what we expected to see in a dining room. Time for eggs and bacon which were provided in abundance but grilling and then keeping it warm for any length of time does tend to toughen it. Surprisingly the fried eggs were still a bit runny in the middle which was nice and there were mushrooms, tomatoes and the now obligatory beans. Then to the toast, self service in that escalator sort of machine which I always mess up, so we both left the table at the same time and while we were away the nearly full coffee pot was cleared away. Guess the young girls haven't learned to keep an eye on what the diners are up to. Still it was readily replaced. Plenty of food was available in good variety. A very mixed sort of stay though pleasant enough. The building itself warrants more we think. Didn't like all the advertising in the lift and there was precious little information readily available in the room. The place was clean but the windows hadn't been cleaned for ages it looked like and where previous guests had damaged things it was just left anyway; torn upholstery in the dining room and it looked as though someone had tried to kick in our bathroom door and several bits of wood had been chipped away (a touch of stain would have meant that I never noticed). Plusses are location, parking, friendliness and the building itself and the view and comfy beds. Service is a bit hit and miss and the staff are very young.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Spent 4 nights here last week. On arrival, payment was demanded from me. The girl behind the desk just stood there and smiled. I was on business and this should have been taken care of by the company . There was no suggestion of giving me the night and sorting it in the morning. I phoned my company and they said they the payment details had been already sent and payment confirmed by fax. Clearly the hotel hadn't processed it properly. As this was being sorted, a smarmy gentleman stood looking at me. I think he was the porter but he didn't offer to take any of my bags despite struggling with them. He continued looking at me until I asked him if I could help me. He said nothing and walked away.

Bed was nice and comfortable, however was short. The biscuits were equally nice for a mass produced product (ie: nothing special). Tea/coffe as standard and 3 pots of milk - this was excellent to see as the 2 normally given is not enough - this was the highlight of my trip.

The WIFI is complete RUBBISH!!! You cannot do any work without it taking 10 hours.

I was told nothing about breakfast on arrival and the girl couldn't check. I phoned in the morning, who said I didn't. I therefore missed breakfast and bought my own. I checked with my work who said I did. I spoke to reception, and she said I did. I asked why I had been told I didn't. She again just stood there, smiled and said sorry. Literally nothing else. She was a waste of time.

Anyway, I continued my stay. I was viewed with suspicion when I came in from a run, asking if I was a guest. I replied yes. This was the same girl I spoke to about breakfast!!! Breakfast the next morning was nothing to write home about. It suited its purpose. However, no hash browns! Got selection of yoghurts.

The house keeping was hit and miss. One day my room was cleaned/bed made etc at 09:00 but then when I was back from work at 14:00. I find this unacceptable. I want my room made up, but it should be done when I am not there. I also missed out on milk/tea/biscuits as a result.

To add to the awful stay, I returned to the hotel at 11pm and found the front door locked. I rang the bell many many times and nothing. I tried pull the door hard, nothing. I then stood there for 20 minutes until a member of staff saw me. No apology but he did say 'Good Evening'. Not good enough. The bell doesn't work!

Overall a poor stay.

Benefits:
Youghurts
Biscuits
Car Parking where you park wherver you want - don't display the 'permit' they give you, if means nothing.
Short walk into shops

Negatives:
Everything again. I won't be returning.
Clueless staff

For business people it isn't good enough. For the older folk who want a holiday, maybe it is good enough for them - especially as it's a nice grand structure.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business