Queen's Hotel
  • Pool
$115
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$89
HIExpress.com
$98
  • Breakfast included
$170
$150
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Royal Beach Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$66
$59
$99
$117
$49
$48
Duke Of Buckingham(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$67
$65
All reviewssea viewsunday carverylovely old hotelisle of wightsea frontthird floorbuffet stylelovely roomgunwharf quayshistoric dockyardedwardianweddingtlcfoyerseafronthovercraftvenue
Reviewed October 23, 2007

We stayed here for one night as part of an arrangement that was booked for us . Built in the Edwardian era, the hotel obviously used to be opulent but I think has seen better days, although it appeared to be having a renovation. We were lucky as Iwe had a refurbished room with flatscreen TV etc, but a phone that didn’t work. It was a room overlooking the seafront and the Solent, but a colleague had been allocated a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the street and right above a noisy nightclub. Our room was OK but not very spacious. It had been refurbished to an adequate standard and appeared generally clean. The hotel was only partially refurbished and parts of it looked really worn out, perhaps they will finish the job one day? The staff were friendly and helpful but the food was just about OK at its best. No air-conditioning which in summer will be a big problem. Lots of free car parking within walking distance of all the attractions at Southsea, and for those with the energy, walking distance of Portsmouth itself. The street at the back of the hotel was somewhere I would not advocate walking out in the dark with all the run down properties etc it looked really shabby. All in all it was OK but I won’t put this place on the top of my list for Southsea.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Whizzer50
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Just returned from a 3 night B&B break. Hotel is in a great location and our refurbished room was very agreeable.

During the stay the communal corridors were being re-carpeted which will be finished by the time anyone else books, but the relevance was the blatant neglect of guests' health & safety. Landing Fire Doors would not close, corridors and fire exits were blocked - I raised this with management who brushed it off saying it was unlikely the building would catch fire.

Our TV did not work but this was rectified, the cleaner ignored the 'do not disturb' sign & on the second day our room was not cleaned properly - old towels left in bath etc. We returned at 5 pm and had to call to sort. Complaints were responded to once made but this does taint the service on offer.

This hotel could be so much better with improved supervision and that's a real shame.

I really enjoyed my break and did not allow the hotel's failings to spoil my stay. Breakfast was good. It is only a 3 star - so please remember that and you will be ok. The grandeur of the building is not matched by the evident niggles.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarkBarnes
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Stayed for one night late July (Room 356) for a business meeting in Porstmouth - no other hotels were available at short notice which proved my good fortune as the Queens was great stay.

Fantastic location, being a very short distance from the sea and close to Portsmouth for my meeting the following day

The room was well decorated, clean and very pleasant, although not a sea view, which will be something I'll rectify next time. A good sized double room, with good use of the space, including a wall mounted LCD screen, mounted on a hinged bracket so you can angle the screen to the seating area rather than having to sit on the bed to watch TV - I know it's a small thing, but it shows the hotel are actually thinking about the customer :-)

Dinner in the restaurant was well cooked with good portions. Service was good, but then there were only 2 diners eating at the time so I would have been very disappointed to wait as long as other reviewers seemed to have. Breakfast was okay, but not the same standard - I was somewhat surprised that the chef was not able to provide poached eggs, but I think that may have the waitress who didn't really understand what I was asking for.

All in all a great stay and I will be booking this hotel for future stays.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank StuartCD
Reviewed June 1, 2007

We spent 5 nights at this hotel, our main reason for staying being to attend a wedding.

We could not find fault with anything. It was the best wedding reception we have ever attended, with food and service being first class. Most of the staff are young people from different countries and they were all very hard working and well-mannered.

The location is good and the room was comfortable, clean and properly looked after.

Breakfast was well cooked and there was a good variety on offer.

We very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nettyfitz
Reviewed May 16, 2007

We were attracted by the previous reviews and also the hotels website, which makes it look very glamorous. The hotel was clean and staff very helpful on reception. We booked dinner (asked for 7.45 but were told that as they stop serving at 9pm we needed to make
it 7.30!!) When we arrived in the dining room there were about four other tables of people waiting for food but we thought nothing of it.
Our order was taken - very ordinary menu, steak with mash(?), cod and
chips, steak and kidney pie (n/a), etc. Considering this is a 3 star hotel, I'm not sure whether the kitchen/menu is ever inspected. Our starters arrived after about 20 mins which was just about OK, but the
main courses took another 1 hour and 15 mins - other tables were also
still waiting - 1 lady on a table of 5 had not had her main course, the others had, she only ordered cod and chips and hers took 15/20 mins longer!

We were informed on our departure that the kitchen had not expected such a big party of people to arrive all at once! The big party table
was 7 people, and a table of 5. Waitresses did not speak very much English and apparently the chef was French but there were 5 waitresses and nothing for them to serve.

We were very disappointed. Hotel location is excellent, and the room was fine but the food experience really put us off,

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank bretwyn2016