“Don't listen to bad reviews - this hotel is great”
Review of Seacrest Hotel

Seacrest Hotel
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Don't waste your money staying in nearby boutique hotels - this hotel had all you would need for a relaxing, comfortable stay. The reception, waitering and bar staff were extremely friendly - the room was very nicely decorated and clean and bright. Breakfast was great with all you need to start your day! Antoinette, the proprietor is very knowledgeable about the area and extremely friendly. Stay here you will not be disappointed. Our friends paid a lot more than us for a boutique hotel just around the corner (with no sea view) and they were told not to use the sink as it was a modern one and splashed everywhere! nice one - see you again soon Seacrest.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hoops38
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Hoops, Thank you for your lovely review. We recall that you were part of a large wedding party staying in the area in various Boutique Hotels, and it was a pleasure to have you with us.

You stayed in our new and professionally designed Room 15 which has a superking Hypnos bed with mattress comforter, Canadian Goose down duvet and pillows which have been hypo allegenically treated, a 42" television screen, drapes with blackout lining and much more, including lovely seaviews across the Solent. Within the next few months, all the bedrooms in the Seacrest will conform to this high standard. Our lounges, bar, reception and dining room areas have all just been completely refurbished, and while the response from our Guests so far has been wonderful, we are flattered that you would compare us to the various Boutique Hotels in the area.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Seacrest and Antoinette and all the staff here send their best regards.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this location. Staff was friendly and very helpful. My stay here was relaxed. The room was nice. The breakfast was excellent. The location is good as its right opposite the English Channel for you to stroll across the beach. Highly recommend with friends and families. I will definatley bring my family to relax and unwind.

Room Tip: great place for anyone visiting. hotel is good and locations is good, opposite the sea too. restaura...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you, Dreams, for your lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Seacrest in the future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Let me commence by saying I simply can't understand the review from "Randomnomad" titled ""Can't understand rave reviews" - I can only suggest they did NOT stay at the Seacrest Hotel - and as for 'rude staff' I don't think so!!! I hasten to add that we have stayed in hotels all over the world and the UK.

My wife and I stayed at the Seacrest Hotel for just two nights and were very impressed.

Welcoming staff, lovely room overlooking gardens and the sea and first class cuisine.

The hotel is ideally situated to explore Portsmouth and is just a bus or taxi ride away. We had travelled by train from West Midlands as a change from the hassle of driving, but there was adequate parking available outside the hotel.

The breakfasts were very varied and beautifully cooked. We decided to stay in the hotel for evening meals and were pleasantly surprised at the excellent menu and even more delighted with the quality and presentation of the food. The deserts were delicious and a perfect end to a lovely meal. Our compliments to the chef!

As a birthday celebration I had requested a sea view room and we were not disappointed. The room was very comfortable with all we wanted for our short stay.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea View room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carolrob3
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Dexterdog,

It was very kind of you to give our hotel such a nice review and it was a pleasure to look after you during your stay with us.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Upon arrival I was asked to pay full balance for 3 nights stay when I hadn't viewed the room. I wish I hadn't paid as I was sorely disappointed. I expected the room to resemble the photos on tripadvisor and the hotels website and was looking forward to the stay.

Sadly, my room was not as expected. Let me list the grimness.
Room had an awful smell (like boiled cabbage)
Room was incredibly hot so I had to have the window permanently open to the noise and arguments out the back alley where I was awoken very early every morning to arguing kitchen staff.
Room was small and dirty - bathroom wasn't up to standard cleanliness wise and there were rips and marks all over the rooms dated wallpaper.
Mattress was like torture. I felt every spring in the bed and as I have fibromyalgia I ended up in an awful lot of pain. By day 3 I could barely walk up stairs my hips were so sore from the mattress.
TV was broken and the 'instructions' left by it were for a different TV altogether. The instructions stated there was an iPod docking station... no there wasn't. I called the night porter and after fiddling for half an hour around midnight when I just wanted to chill out before bedtime I asked him if I could move to another room. He grunted at me. I then suggested he replace the TV with a working one from elsewhere. This he did but not very willingly.
Towels were not replaced even when on the bathroom floor - as per hotels policy.
Staff were plain rude in general. On check out I gave my key in to reception with no thanks - wasn't asked if I had a nice stay or to have a safe onward journey. Nothing. Barely acknowledged.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. When you state their shortcomings they are very quick to actually argue with you in a passive aggressive way. Awful service - I haven't stayed in many hotels but the vast majority of hostels I have stayed in whilst backpacking have had much better standards for service, cleanliness and comfort at 1/6 the price of this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank randomnomad
Ana-Marie T, Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Randomnomad, It is extremely difficult for me to reply to this review, but here goes. The staff at the Seacrest are unqualified to assist someone suffering from fibromyalgia, a condition which I understand is much more than just physical, and of which we were unaware at the time.

The staff here are saddened that you should have thought them to have been rude to you, and I apologise wholeheartedly on their behalf. There is no need for us to go into the details of your stay with us, except to say that there was a certain amount of dismay amongst the staff. We trust that anyone reading this review will compare it with other recent reviews and judge accordingly.

Meanwhile, all of us at the Seacrest Hotel send our best wishes to you.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have just stayed here for the second time this year and enjoyed it even more than the first time as we paid a little extra for the lovely sea view. The breakfast and service is first class, nothing is too much trouble for staff. The rooms are spotless and bed really comfortable. As it is very close to the Hovercraft Port we spent a day in the I.O.W. visiting a relative, the crossing only took 10mins so a good quick way to go to the Island. It is an excellent place to stay if visiting the Historic Dockyard as you can get a bus at the pier and it saves trying to find a parking space if it's very busy.We will most certainly be going back again. Give it a try!!

Room Tip: Front rooms have lovely views over the Solent and I.O.W.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChrisBam

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your kind review. We am glad that you enjoy staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you here again.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week-end. Everything was great: room clean and comfortable, breakfast delicious with a good choice, very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel is very close to the seaside. If you are ok to walk 15-20 min to get to the center with all restaurants, shops and attractions it will be a great choice for you!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Curiousmouse

Thank you Curiousmouse (what a fab name) for your lovely review. We are overwhelmed that our guests are taking the time to review our Hotel in such a positive way. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you need a hotel close to the beach in Portsmouth and convenient for the ferries to mainland Europe then this hotel is good.

Friendly reception, clean bedroom with tea/coffee, free parking which is useful in summer.

Breakfast well prepared and served by friendly staff.

Hotel bar and comfortable lounge area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sootycat49

Dear Sootycat,

Thank you very much for your review, we are pleased that you thought so highly of the Seacrest and hope that maybe one day, we will see you again.