“A Comfortable Stay”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Walsall, United Kingdom
“A Comfortable Stay”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Let me commence by saying I simply can't understand the review from "Randomnomad" titled ""Can't understand rave reviews" - I can only suggest they did NOT stay at the Seacrest Hotel - and as for 'rude staff' I don't think so!!! I hasten to add that we have stayed in hotels all over the world and the UK.

My wife and I stayed at the Seacrest Hotel for just two nights and were very impressed.

Welcoming staff, lovely room overlooking gardens and the sea and first class cuisine.

The hotel is ideally situated to explore Portsmouth and is just a bus or taxi ride away. We had travelled by train from West Midlands as a change from the hassle of driving, but there was adequate parking available outside the hotel.

The breakfasts were very varied and beautifully cooked. We decided to stay in the hotel for evening meals and were pleasantly surprised at the excellent menu and even more delighted with the quality and presentation of the food. The deserts were delicious and a perfect end to a lovely meal. Our compliments to the chef!

As a birthday celebration I had requested a sea view room and we were not disappointed. The room was very comfortable with all we wanted for our short stay.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea View room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carolrob3
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Dexterdog,

It was very kind of you to give our hotel such a nice review and it was a pleasure to look after you during your stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
northern ireland
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Upon arrival I was asked to pay full balance for 3 nights stay when I hadn't viewed the room. I wish I hadn't paid as I was sorely disappointed. I expected the room to resemble the photos on tripadvisor and the hotels website and was looking forward to the stay.

Sadly, my room was not as expected. Let me list the grimness.
Room had an awful smell (like boiled cabbage)
Room was incredibly hot so I had to have the window permanently open to the noise and arguments out the back alley where I was awoken very early every morning to arguing kitchen staff.
Room was small and dirty - bathroom wasn't up to standard cleanliness wise and there were rips and marks all over the rooms dated wallpaper.
Mattress was like torture. I felt every spring in the bed and as I have fibromyalgia I ended up in an awful lot of pain. By day 3 I could barely walk up stairs my hips were so sore from the mattress.
TV was broken and the 'instructions' left by it were for a different TV altogether. The instructions stated there was an iPod docking station... no there wasn't. I called the night porter and after fiddling for half an hour around midnight when I just wanted to chill out before bedtime I asked him if I could move to another room. He grunted at me. I then suggested he replace the TV with a working one from elsewhere. This he did but not very willingly.
Towels were not replaced even when on the bathroom floor - as per hotels policy.
Staff were plain rude in general. On check out I gave my key in to reception with no thanks - wasn't asked if I had a nice stay or to have a safe onward journey. Nothing. Barely acknowledged.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. When you state their shortcomings they are very quick to actually argue with you in a passive aggressive way. Awful service - I haven't stayed in many hotels but the vast majority of hostels I have stayed in whilst backpacking have had much better standards for service, cleanliness and comfort at 1/6 the price of this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank randomnomad
Ana-Marie T, Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Randomnomad, It is extremely difficult for me to reply to this review, but here goes. The staff at the Seacrest are unqualified to assist someone suffering from fibromyalgia, a condition which I understand is much more than just physical, and of which we were unaware at the time.

The staff here are saddened that you should have thought them to have been rude to you, and I apologise wholeheartedly on their behalf. There is no need for us to go into the details of your stay with us, except to say that there was a certain amount of dismay amongst the staff. We trust that anyone reading this review will compare it with other recent reviews and judge accordingly.

Meanwhile, all of us at the Seacrest Hotel send our best wishes to you.

Lancing, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have just stayed here for the second time this year and enjoyed it even more than the first time as we paid a little extra for the lovely sea view. The breakfast and service is first class, nothing is too much trouble for staff. The rooms are spotless and bed really comfortable. As it is very close to the Hovercraft Port we spent a day in the I.O.W. visiting a relative, the crossing only took 10mins so a good quick way to go to the Island. It is an excellent place to stay if visiting the Historic Dockyard as you can get a bus at the pier and it saves trying to find a parking space if it's very busy.We will most certainly be going back again. Give it a try!!

Room Tip: Front rooms have lovely views over the Solent and I.O.W.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisBam
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your kind review. We am glad that you enjoy staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you here again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week-end. Everything was great: room clean and comfortable, breakfast delicious with a good choice, very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel is very close to the seaside. If you are ok to walk 15-20 min to get to the center with all restaurants, shops and attractions it will be a great choice for you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Curiousmouse
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you Curiousmouse (what a fab name) for your lovely review. We are overwhelmed that our guests are taking the time to review our Hotel in such a positive way. Thank you again.

Malaga, Spain
Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you need a hotel close to the beach in Portsmouth and convenient for the ferries to mainland Europe then this hotel is good.

Friendly reception, clean bedroom with tea/coffee, free parking which is useful in summer.

Breakfast well prepared and served by friendly staff.

Hotel bar and comfortable lounge area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sootycat49
Dear Sootycat,

Thank you very much for your review, we are pleased that you thought so highly of the Seacrest and hope that maybe one day, we will see you again.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Two weeks ago we spent a long weekend at the Seacrest Hotel. From the moment we booked in nothing was too much for the staff. We had a large very comfortable double room with great views over the Solent to the I.O.W.

The English breakfasts were excellent as was the food when we had dinner at the Hotel. I'm not going to go on and on, there was nothing to complain about and only thanks for making it an excellent weekend.

Have no hesitation in recommending this hotel - would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: Have a sea view room at the front of the hotel - well worth it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dcs1133
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were on the third floor, which had a great view of the waterfront. The beds were comfy, the room large and clean. The bathroom was clean and spacious, and the shower pressure was good. The included cooked breakfast was great, and arrived quickly. There is no parking onsite, but the reception staff give you a ticket to display on your dashboard, and we parked opposite the entrance. The only drawback was the WiFi, which was hard to access, perhaps because we were on the top floor?
The staff were friendly and helpful, and we thought this hotel was good value.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrew T
anemarie t, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed our lovely seaviews, there is always so much going on in the Solent, which also makes it so interesting. Re: the Wifi, we are awaiting our new all singing, all dancing system, which should be up and running within the fortnight, together, hopefully, with Sky programmes to all our rooms. We do, in fact, have a private car park for ten cars, and I apologise if you were not made aware of this. Meanwhile, our refurbishments continue unabated, with as little disruption as possible to our Guests - the worst is now over - and myself and the team look forward to welcoming you to the new and very much enhanced Seacrest Hotel in the future.