“Brilliant venue for a party”
Review of The Square Tower

The Square Tower
Ranked #22 of 128 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic building built in 1494 during the reign of Henry VII is one of the few remaining Tudor buildings in Portsmouth.The Square Tower is fully licenced for wedding ceremonies and receptions and is also available to hire for parties and many other special events If you would like to visit the Square Tower or hire this atmospheric venue, please visit our website where you will find an events calendar listing our comprehensive programme of events and all of the contact details you need to get in touch with us.
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My family and I were invited to a party at the square tower. It's such an amazing building in such a dramatic location at the harbour entrance. The catering was excellent (provided by the venue I beieve) and they even had real ale!

1  Thank Mike O
SqTower, Owner at The Square Tower, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thanks Mike

I'm glad you had such a good time; we enjoyed it too! And the real ale was Irving's Frigate (my personal favourite Irving Ale!)

Best wishes and thanks again

There are newer reviews for The Square Tower

Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband Nathan and myself originally went to view the tower for our wedding in October 2014, the venue was absolutely beautiful and captured both of our hearts. When my fiancé fell very ill in December we quickly moved up our wedding plans as advised to us. Quickly getting in contact with steve and Julia they were more than happy to help us move our wedding forward to February 2nd. With just six weeks to plan steve and julia helped us organize the wedding taking a lot of pressure of myself and my now husband. On the day the venue was absolutely beautiful and the vintage high tea was delicious. I'd personally like to make an extra special thank you to steve and julia. Given that nathan was rather poorly on the day you did everything possible to make sure he was comfortable even bringing him soup. The kindness and support you showed us was absolutely amazing. Even offering us a return vintage tea for when nathan is well enough to enjoy it. It really means the absolute world to us not only to have had our wedding at the beautiful square tower but to have met two wonderful people. Our day wouldn't have gone like it did without your help. Much love to you both. Fredrica and Nathan.

3  Thank MrsFredricaGoodridge

Dear Newly Weds!

Thank you so much for your lovely review; Julia and I couldn't be happier that you had such a good wedding. It was an absolute joy to host it for you and we're so glad it went so well for you!

With the very best of wishes

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Fabulous venue with loads of atmosphere, especially for one of Steve Knightley's incredible 'Grow Your Own Gig' concerts. Intimate - only 100 people, with good sound and light. Friendly staff too - and so nice not to be 'ripped off' by the drink prices!

1  Thank trescomania

Thank you so much for your kind words; I'm really glad you had such a good night; I'll see if we can get Steve Knightley back again; I too thought he was wonderful!

I'm also really glad you like the bar prices and I'll pass on your lovely comment about the staff to my son Tom who was working with me that night!

All the best and thanks again

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I am very sad to say that we have had a terrible experience. We first enquired about the Square Tower for the venue of our wedding in Nov 2013. We fell in love with it straight away and was set on it for our big day. We were in contact with them through email and had visited 4 times again to look around. We stated on every occasion that we wanted this as our venue and discussed the dates and details numerous times and were ensured that the date was available and everything was going to plan. Our wedding was set for New Years Eve 2015, which is 2 years away. Got it all ready in plenty of time. We had sent in the booking form to secure the date and paid the deposit of £600. only to then receive an email to say that they had double booked the date, and that the other couple had secured the date in August 2013 but had not yet paid a deposit. I was extremely upset when I was given the news. Bearing in mind on the day we paid the deposit they had double checked in front of us, that we were booked in for that date. We were reassured our deposit would be refunded in full (no kidding!!). It's also a shame to say that they were not very apologetic about the whole situation which just added insult to injury.

I would not recommend anyone using them as a venue for their wedding, as from my bad experience they are clearly not reliable at all.

1  Thank Maddison G
MiltonMickey, Owner at The Square Tower, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

I’m afraid this review is wholly misleading and unfair:

You came in over the weekend and enquired about a particular date for your wedding.

Instead of filling out a booking form and making a provisional booking, you went away and made an immediate payment directly into my bank account. This was on your initiative and was in no way prompted by me. This gave me no chance to check on my computer that the date was free.

The moment I discovered it wasn’t free, I contacted you, apologized, and reassured you by phone that all your money would be refunded to you if we couldn’t find a solution that was satisfactory.

I tried very hard to find you a solution, but this wasn’t possible, so the moment you asked for a refund I immediately refunded not only every penny you paid but £100 on top!

I’m really sorry there was a mix up, but had you filled out a booking form, none of this would ever have happened. I have sent many emails apologizing to you and giving detailed explanations. I have paid you all your money back and more and all this has happened within 48 hours of you enquiring about the date.

I’ve thought a lot about what you have said and I really can’t see how I could have done more for you; I deeply understand your disappointment, but I think what you have said about me is utterly unfair.

Best wishes

Reviewed February 3, 2014

On behalf of my family i would like to say a big thankyou to the staff of the Square Tower Portsmouth for making my son & new daughter in laws wedding day very special for all of us.
Special mention to Steven,Julie & Linda who went out of there way to make sure our day ran smoothly.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this venue to anyone
Many thanks once again

1  Thank Redsullian

Thank you so much for your lovely review!

It was a real pleasure; and we wish you and the happy couple every happiness in the future!

With best wishes

Steve (and all of the Square Tower team)