“Great meal great atmosphere!”
Review of Restaurant 69

Restaurant 69
Ranked #113 of 675 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Went to restuarant 69 last night (Saturday) with friends. Arrived at 8pm & thankful we had reserved a table as it was heaving! The menu was well priced for the standard & offered a good range. The staff were really accommodating, We wanted mussels as a starter but they only ad it listed as a main but they happily exchanged the chips for extra bread & 3 of us shared a kilo as a starter - delicious! We all had steak for main - a bit boring but it was again really tasty. I didn't have a pudding but friends had cheese & a desert but I can't remember what it was....too much wine!!

All in all we had a fantastic night & would definately return. It reminds me of another of my good old favourites Beckets, similar lively atmosphere & food.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Not been here since it was Sur la mer 10 years ago, thankfully it hasn't changed that much and the features that made the old place welcoming are still there.

We were shown to table straight away and handed the menus with drinks offered instantly, the menus were good for me but not my partner who doesn't do red meat or fish so it was slightly disappointing not to see a chicken dish.

We skipped starters and had a Veggie Tagliatelle and Seafood Platter which came with some lovely warm bread, this with a large Perroni, a Malibu and one Latte came to £31 which is bloody good value.

Well worth visiting and also the nicest place in Palmerston Road to have a drink.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Rang up for a table at noon & luckily they had one available. A busy Sunday & I was seated in the downstairs section so away from the main part of the restaurant. Very pleasant, could still hear the (excellent) jazz singer they have on Sundays. The service was very good, the manageress addressed me by my name when asking how the meal was, which is a nice touch. The food was excellent. I had the roast beef - had asked for it rare & that is how it was cooked. The roast potatoes were very good & the vegetables were perfectly cooked, not mushy & not hard either. The chocolate & chestnut delice for dessert was excellent too. The house red wine was fine & went well with the beef.
Very enjoyable, leisurely Sunday lunch. Will come again!

1  Thank Ghosttrain
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've lived in London and New York so I've been to my fair share of good and bad restaurants. What an unexpected treat. We had a huge seafood platter, mussels, fries, yummy bread, and two bottles of wine for £40! It was a feast that said holiday and left money for souvenirs. I highly recommend.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

As a stranger in town we were recommended to this place. What a surprise. Firstly we could actually get a table for 7:30 pm. On arrival the staff were very pleasant and showed us to our table. We were given plenty of time to look through the menu. When staff came to take our drink and wine order it was difficult to choose a wine. The waitress brought a lass of the wine we were thinking of having to try. Lovely touch! The food was delicious. Between our party of four we had chicken, goats cheese tarts and steaks. Everyone really enjoyed the flavours of the chosen meals. The presentation was really good and we had a lovely meal. Only one small thought. By about 9:00 the restaurant got really busy and the service was a lot slower. But I would definitely recommend this place to you. We certainly had a very good meal!