“Not Even Average”

GreenLeadersGold level
london
“Not Even Average”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was very disappointed by my stay here. The hotel was booked as a surprise for my husband. The plan had been for him to have a sailing lesson the following day and on the day of check in, we relax, use the spa facilities and order room service.
Upon check-in, there was no one to assist with the door, our bags, or just greet us . We then proceeded to wait for a good 20minutes before being attended to by reception. Granted there was a wedding going on at the time. The place was very noisy and appeared abit chaotic.
The room was bog standard. A view of the parking lot to accompany a freezing cold room until we located the heating switches. No slippers, no robes, barely enough towels. The bathroom was a nice and the shower was powerful.
Bed: Was ok. Two twins pushed together though. I'm not a fan.
Room service food: don't bother. Expensive, bland and arrived cold.
The spa: The place was packed. That weekend must have been a busy weekend because there was barely room to get into spa at all. Noisy and crowded. Not the things you need to help you relax.
On the day of my husband's sailing lesson, we had to ask the front desk to order a taxi 3x and when it arrived, they didn't tell us! I was feeling quite fed up with the place at this point. I truly didn't feel like any care or attention was being added at all. That we were just another number.
The rooms and corridors look abit tired and dated. A lick of paint could help upstairs. It appears that all the money was spent modernising the the reception area with strange objects...some kind of art I think...
The only reason I gave the hotel 2 stars was because the breakfast was fantastic. Full English and continental buffet with an array of hot and cold beverages .
Also the proximity to the water front was perfect for my husbands sailing lesson.

Room Tip: If you are on a business trip, this may be the hotel for you. It's impersonal, busy and the room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michelle25
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and getting back to me with the details of your stay in August 2012. I am sorry that we did not deliver on all points. I just wanted to let you know that August is the busiest month of year with a lot of leisure business and families.
Also in August we hold 14 weddings, since we are a popular wedding destination in Portsmouth. We do offer porterage and have 2 dedicated guest relations officers in August, they might have been with other guests at your time of arrival. All our rooms were renovated in 2007, but we do not offer bathrobes and slippers in our deluxe bedrooms. We do have 89 king bedded rooms, so please ask for this bed type for your next visit. We do apologise for the taxi not arriving, it sometimes happens when a taxi is called other customers wait outside and get in and tell the driver to move on. I will send you a voucher for an upgrade to one of our Superior Rooms for your next stay and we will look after you then. Please contact my office directly and ask for Helen Beard, my PA or myself.

BJ Schreuder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I Stayed in a family room with my husband and two young daughters (3 & 6), the room was light and airy, well equipped, very clean! The hotel staff were polite and helpful. The bar area was calm, relaxing with an extensive cocktail list. The pool and leisure facilities were clean, child friendly and well staffed. Buffet breakfast was great, huge range of choice!! As was the room service menu, prompt service and well priced. A lovely hotel!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank laura b
Dear Guest,

we would like to thank you for these comments and please come again when the weather gets better and you will have more things to do in Portsmouth,

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

The things that got my back up are the bar staff can't pull a pint and when I gave a debit card to pay for the room this could not be used as a tab to the room, you had to use a credit card!! So when I ordered food to my room I then (as I had no cash) had to go to reception and pay with my card!
Apart from that a nice clean hotel with a very comfortable room.

• Stayed December 2012
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank your for staying at our hotel and the feedback you left for us. In the hotel industry it is normal to leave a credit card number or cash at the reception during check in, so you have credit to sign charges to your room from the bar, restaurant, room service or even the Spa and Leisure club. If customers don't want to do so, they need to pay cash when a service is used and this means that when you order Room Service this needs to be paid for at the reception by yourself, since we don't have the card and the pin number. Normally this is explained during the check in process and we will re-train our team to make sure they highlight this better in the future. I hope this addressed your concern and we hope to see you again soon,

United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Enjoyed staying in the Marriot Portsmouth , I found the rooms ideal for a great night’s sleep
Restaurant and bar area is very modern and light
Lovely buffet breakfast
Reception staff are very friendly and accommodating , we will stay again next time I have meetings in Portsmouth

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Happy New Year and Thank You for your great feedback on our hotel and we hope to see you again soon in the New Year. Please bring your colleagues !! :-)

Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Myself, my wife and 11 other guests attended the Bop Till you Drop event at the Marriott for the 2nd year running and again was delighted for the evening .
This year we also stayed overnight in the hotel and was very impressed with the room , the cleanliness and the service of the staff
The breakfast was exceptional and plenty of it
I would recomend this hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great feedback and please come again next year !! :-)

Happy New Year,

UK
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Visited the hotel a few weeks back when me and my partner were travelling on our honey moon, we decided to visit portsmouth as the Dockyard and tower seemed like a nice idea for a day out also the local shopping centre. We booked a table for dinner in the hotels restaurant, my husband mentioned it was our honeymoon to the lady who took the booking. When we arrived in the restaurant the table was decorated with diamond hearts and rose petals this was fantastic!! The meal was lovely could not fault a thing with the food or the service we received. the girls that waited on us jess and ashley were so kind we chatted with then for ages! We was then given a free dessert to share which was decorated with 'congratulations' me and my partner thought this was lovely! Room was clean and comfortable. I visited the pool in the morning before my partner woke up, this was lovely perfect temperature. All in all we loved our stay and would return with out a doubt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and the lovely comments for the team and I will pass it on to them.

Hope to see you again soon,

bets regards,

Bexley
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed here for the weekend with my friend. We were in Portsmouth to go shopping at gun wharf quay. Last year we did the same thing and stayed at the Holiday Inn express in gunwharf quay. Even though the Marriott was a cab drive away we liked it better. It was a nice welcoming hotel. The room was lovely with 2 great big double beds. We only eat at the hotel for breakfast, which was in nice well stocked buffet. the hotel has got a spa andouille, but we didn't actually use it as we were too tired from shopping. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends