“Clean & friendly”

Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Clean & friendly hotel but disabled rooms have baths!!
Food was beautiful if a little over priced. The restaurant felt as if it was in the front entrance with no privacy and the noise from the swimming pool was quite off putting.
Beds were very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we have taken note of your comments and I only want to mention that we had a large group in the hotel for a meeting which included over 100 children and of course the excitement of the pool was heard above all in our Great Room Sealevel which includes the pool. We have signage in the pool area and we ask parents to try to keep the noise down, since one can hear in in the whole lobby.

best regards,

BJ Schreuder

Write a ReviewReviews (1,280)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed at the Marriott on Friday night. Check-in efficient but make sure you know your car registration as they need it for their security system. (We had a hire car so had to go back outside to find it.)

Room was nicely decorated with a very large bed and many pillows! Good bathroom and didn't hear any noise through the night desite being in the room next to the lift.

Only had breakfast there but it was excellent so would recommend you include breakfast if you can. They had separated the cooked bacon from the crispy bacon (my favourite) which I thought was a nice touch.

Pool is fine but an awkward shape so difficult for proper swimming as you get beached at the shallow end. Spa was good. Ask reception to send up bath robes if you're using the pool.

Staff were helpful with the exception of the lady on the leisure club desk. I asked for disposable slippers to return to room in and she said she didn't have any - despite around half a dozen pairs on display behind her. When I pointed this out she produced a pair from a supply under the desk. Disappointing to be blatantly lied to over a cheap pair of throw-away slippers! Also, there are swimming lessosn for kids on a Saturday morning which take up half the pool - luckily we were early enough to avoid this!

Would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here in future.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies overlooking the foyer and restaurant. They all had curtains pulled so not...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I'm staying at the Portsmouth Marriott to explore the D-Day Museum. Will depart tomorrow for Caen.

I took photos of the harbor / D-Day Museum (excellent, by the way) and when I prepared to upload them to my photo sharing account, I discovered I had forgotten to pack the necessary cable.

I went to the front desk, and... voila'! I was able to borrow the hotel's loaner cable, and today's photos have been uploaded.

The staff here are among the most cordial, friendly, and helpful people on Earth.

I look forward to my next stay at the Portsmouth Marriott.

Thanks, Portsmouth Marriott!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We booked this hotel as a stopover following a ferry crossing and with a long drive ahead. The room was large, well decorated, had all necessary amenities and was spotlessly clean. We were initially disappointed when the restaurant was not available due to a large party being expected but we were shown to the bar lounge area where we enjoyed a very good meal from the restaurant menu and served by a very friendly and attentive young lady. We breakfasted in our room and found the breakfast provided very good but the tray it was served upon was awash with spilt coffee which was rather offputting. Overall the hotel was perfect for our purpose and we found the staff pleasant and helpful and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have visited this hotel now a couple of time and on both occasions it's been perfect. The staff are great and the service is top quality. The food also is worth a try. No need for a formal sit down meal as the same food is served at the bar. Altogether a great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank graham h
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Graham,

thank you for your great feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We have been working hard on our food and have received an AA Rosette for our Sealevel Restaurant of which the kitchen team is pleased with. We have just changed our menu with more seasonal dishes. Hope to see you again soon.

yorus sincerely,

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I paid for the superior room package which is supposed to include free internet access and 2 free drinks from the mini bar per day.

The room was very nice and very clean, ate at the bar on the first night and the food was OK, but service was average at best, breakfast in the self service buffet was OK on the first morning, as self service buffets go this is one of the less bad ones around.

Drinks at the bar on the second night mostly consisted of trying to get the attention of the bar staff and persuade them to actually do something as mundane as serving customers, I could understand if they had been rushed off their feet but there were nearly as many staff as customers. Asked for a menu 3 times before a young Asian girl who seemed to be the only member of staff with any idea of customer service brought us one on the first time of asking.

The food eventually arrived and we had to ask several times for a knife and fork, again the quality of the food was pretty good.

Breakfast on the second morning started by being shown to a table with no cutlery and being told it qould be provided then having to try to grab someone's attention to get it after I had been to the buffet. A jug of coffee was eventually brought, I asked for a mug to drink it from and then had to ask someone else before a mug eventually appeared.

The free internet and minibar drinks were on the final bill and although they were instantly refunded, I doubt they would have been had I not mentioned the fact. All in all for a hotel in that price range the standards are awful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me with the dates and room number and we can only apologise for the inconvenience caused. I have spoken in length with my Food &Beverage management team and there were various IT issues that night and the bar just finished a large wedding group pre-dinner drinks etc. All details and excuses by side, it should not have happened.
Breakfast was a bit of struggle on Sunday, since we had a strong last minute pick up of bedrooms and additional customers and children,.We were not able to handle the volume very well. Normally we would lay up the bar or a separate meeting room for the overflow, but it was too late to change and the closest meeting room was not available for breakfast.
I will send you a separate mail.
Again our apologies for not meeting your expected standards and we will prove to you next time that we can deliver under more normal situations.

yours sincerely,

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Well located but outragiously expensive for what it is - an average Marriott. For my wife and me the saving grace was the swimming pool and the front desk staff - all excellent. A Scottish gentlemen who delivered our bags to our room was subsequently of immense help in our getting to know our surroundings in the Portsmouth area.
Someone should suggest to the bar staff that it is exactly that and not a pub therefore if a guest sits at a table he expects to be waited upon
Our room was excellent and clean

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for your feedback and I will pass on your great comments about Arthur, who helped with your luggage.
I do apologise for the service in our Sealevel Lounge, the team has been trained and instructed to also service all the tables and unfortunately this did not happen. I have spoke to our Food Service Manager and he will address this with his team.

best regards,