“Good as always”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 15, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel room was nice with a side sea view (over a demolished building!) a good sized room and slept well however the decor was dated and could do with some investment to bring this hotel up-to date. It is a little way out of town but great for the beach...
i found that quite a few of the seats could do with some re-upholstering, as there was non - little padding on the leading edge of chairs both in per room and in the resturant. breakfast was good all hot and well stocked hot food buffet. my only comment refrance breakfast, the orange juce seemed a bit watery!
but dispite the negitive comments here genralky had a good stay, with great views over the solent if you get a front facing room.

Room Tip: request sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased you were satisfied with your stay. We are always carrying out some improvements to the look of the hotel and I am sure should you visit again you will be able to see them for your self, many thanks Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I phoned and asked about disabled access, was told yes we have access via the car park and a room with a roll in shower was available! So I booked!
On arrival, a large truck associated with the hotel was parked across both disabled parking spaces!
We managed to find a space where no-one would park next to us and block the drivers door. My partner has to assemble and disassemble his wheelchair next to the drivers seat, so full access needed.
After unloading the car, we made our way to the extremely steep ramp that gave access to a scruffy looking back door. There was a concrete ramp up to the door, but even at the top of this, with feet and knees hard against the door , there was no way my partner could have reached the doorbell to summons anyone to open the door if he had been alone.
On entering the hotel the corridor was dark and full of obstacles, despite numerous signs warning that corridor must be kept clear.
The lift was ridiculously small, luggage was carried upstairs by a staff member.
On arrival at the front desk, which was about four feet high, therefore my partner could barely see over it, we were made welcome and went up to our room.
The room was very nice, overlooking the sea, and had obviously been recently overhauled.
The bathroom looked brand new and , indeed, had a roll in shower.
We left the hotel to walk/roll along the seafront....a reversal of the horrible trip along the corridor of doom!
In the morning after having a shower, my partner decided he needed a shave. Great the whole of one wall was mirrored....unfortunately the mirror was so high that all he could see was his forehead and eyebrows!
I wouldn't recommend this hotel for anyone in a wheelchair or with limited mobility.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, as you probably saw we are decorating that part of the building and I know the access will look a lot better when completed, being and older Hotel and due to its construction we are limited to the access points we have, however I am pleased are staff looked after and your accommodation was good, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed here for one night and found the staff all very friendly and helpful.Decided to eat in the lounge bar,and had one of the best Ham/cheese Ploughmans in years along with a lovely pint of San Miguel lager.Have to say,the lady who worked the bar did everything from taking our order to bringing our food out to us..give her a raise Management because she worked very hard while we were in there.
Our room was good if a little dated in the bathroom but hey,it all worked and was nice and clean.
WiFi works very well with a router on all four levels for better signals.
For me,the jewel here was the breakfast..boy was it good,and as it was self service,one could go back for seconds..I think I over did it a tad..you know how it is,all that lovely food but I soon felt quite full!If there is one thing that I hate,and that is a Hotel that either charges for breakfast or doesnt provide it..no excuse at all.
Our only mild complaint would be,our double bed was too small..needed to be a lot bigger,but apart from that,we loved it here and would recommend it.

Room Tip: For less agile folk,there is a lift to all floors.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank klempner69
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Thank you for your review which I will pass on to our lounge bar team, I am pleased you had a great stay with us, many thanks, Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed May 8, 2014

The Royal Beech houses the Coast Bar which can be hired as a private function venue. I hired the Coast Bar for a 50th birthday party and was very pleased with the venue and the service. The events team were easy to deal with and responded flexibly to my changing needs even up to the day before.The party was a great success, and the DJ, Mike Sullivan, very accommodating to my play list and requests on the night, which kept party lively and friends dancing. The canapes served were lovely and the service excellent. The venue itself is airy, bright and comfortable with plenty of room for DJ and dance floor. Venues fees were reasonable and overall I was extremely happy to have chosen the Coast Bar.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you had a great night in our Coast Bar, we are the Number one venue for functions in Portsmouth and I hope you book with us again if you are planning further celebrations, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed May 7, 2014

The bedroom was very clean and hard to fault on that front - however lighting was dim/dark, view terrible, and stairs and halls very worn. Food was Ok but always in the back of your mind was it really so. Would much preferred to have stayed down at the new quay in a modern hotel and eaten in Jamie's or equivalent - there was a good choice.

Room Tip: Looking out over the sea?
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and I am sorry it was not your sort of place, we are carrying out further refurbishment to corridors with new carpets and hope to bring a more modern feel to the hotel, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

This is an older hotel and therefore very charming. Staff was very friendly. There is parking but we had to park a block away in the street because the parking lot was full. This hotel is directly across the street from the beach. We were able to see the ships sailing by from our room. Very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for your review which was "lovely" we hope to see you again soon, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM