“Lovely welcoming staff and great food ”

BEST WESTERN Royal Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely welcoming staff and great food ”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Really lovely hotel- felt so well looked after by the friendly staff. Both bar and restaurant food was great- huge portions (!) and daily changing seasonal menu. The Ark Royal restaurant is stunning and would be great for a party or big get together. Will definitely be back when the weather's warmer so I can check out the coast bar, and enjoy the views of the beach!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager99, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for your very positive comments and I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us, I hope you stay again when you are next in Portsmouth, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Surrey
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I booked two rooms at this hotel, one for my husband and me, the other for my daughter, son-in-law and their daughter, on a Saturday night at the end of November, so that we could spend the weekend at the Historic Dockyard during their Victorian Festival of Christmas. The hotel is in a fine-looking building, right on the sea-front, and you just have to cross the road to walk onto the beach - all good. We were able to park our party's two cars in the hotel's free car-park whenever we needed to, also good. Our rooms were fine, even if the decor was a little tired, with nice bathrooms and reasonably comfortable beds; and at the rate we paid, they were good value.

We had dinner in the hotel bar. The staff there, as elsewhere, were very friendly: they didn't mind our small granddaughter climbing the furniture among all the smartly dressed people there for a wedding. The plates of food were huge; I enjoyed my sausage and mash and our granddaughter liked her chips, but my husband found his beef burger dry and tasteless.

Now to the service issues. On the Saturday we waited ages for service at Reception. When we'd arrived at 11 am our rooms weren't available (fair enough), so we'd left our luggage with Reception and checked in only when we returned at 6pm. It took 20 minutes to get to the head of the queue for the attention of the girl on Reception,who was coping single-handed with everyone who approached the desk, current guests ringing down with queries and external callers making new bookings.Then we hit further problems. My husband and I had agreed to mind our granddaughter while her parents stayed in central Portsmouth and went to a film. We therefore wanted access to both our rooms and both lots of stored luggage. This should have been straightforward as I'd made the single booking for all of us, but wasn't because the hotel had no record of the single booking; they only knew that they had rules against letting guests into rooms held in the name of other guests, and rules against giving anyone another guest's bag. Also, they had difficulty finding our bags, which they had not labelled with either our names or our room numbers. After phoning our daughter, getting her to speak to Reception about the luggage, visiting two rooms where the bags might possibly be to identify them, waiting for another member of staff who could observe our visit to my daughter and son-in-law's room, more waiting while two non-functioning keys to our room were replaced, and profuse apologies to the guests queueing patiently behind us, everything was sorted and our granddaughter finally reunited with her nappies and nightclothes.

I understand that the hotel were busier than usual because they had a big wedding on, and maybe staff had been diverted to that, but one person should not be expected to cope with everything the Reception girl had to cope with on 30 November. As a minimum, someone else should handle external phone calls and new bookings. I also suggest that guests' luggage would be better safeguarded by suitable labelling/ticketing and more secure storage, than by the current arrangements. (While I was happy that Reception believed that the person the other end of my phone telling them to hand me her luggage was the same as the person who deposited that luggage, it mightn't have been! And anyone could have identified any case they liked as theirs, and walked off with it.)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Hotel and its many positive comments, we were extremely busy on that day and as you say a large number of guests were checking in at the same time a large number of external enquiries were coming in which is unusual for a Saturday early evening. We do have a policy of access to rooms and I am sorry if this caused you a problem, I will take on board your comments and work to ensure a similar situation doesn't arise in the future, many thanks Chris Gilmore GM
Ellistown, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Excellent stay - again. The bar food is extremely good, and the location fantastic; right in the thick of things but really quiet. Have stayed here many times before - and hope to again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us again and will pass on your comments to the kitchen team, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM
Cambrige, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Lovely hotel right on the sea front. Staff really pleasant and helpful and all went that extra mile to help. My bed was really comfortable. Shame we only stayed one night. Will be going back in the summer for sure.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your short but sweet review, we look forward to welcoming you back soon, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM
Birkenhead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Came down for the marathon weekend. Hotel was cheap and cheerful, room was comfy although a bit noisy because of the wind outside although it's not the end of the world

Hotel bar food was pricey but decent

Not much to do by the hotel but the promenade is a nice walk especially at night

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review of the hotel and I am pleased you found everything to your satisfaction, it has been extremely windy over the past month on the south coast and I am glad it didn't spoil your stay, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I am long-term client, and as a business traveler I have enjoyed staying at the Royal Beach many times. The location is second to none: literally at the South sea seafront, directly across from South Parade pier. See the sun rise over the sea every morning from the restaurant. There are antique and book shops close by on Albert Rd, grocery stores (Tesco, Sainsburys, COOP, Waitrose), department stores (Debenhams, others), excellent curry houses (try The Midnight Tandoori, Pamerston Rd), Chinese food (Tangs, Noble House) and regular fare in easy walking distance.

As a jogger I especially enjoy running a 5 mile loop along the seafront - the sound of crashing or lapping waves makes a nice change from city traffic, not to mention the sight of titanic container ships, ferries, and - if you are lucky - a military ship passing by in the distance.

I have discovered my travels that the most important thing is less where you are than who you are with. Without exception my experiences with the staff at the Royal Beach have been perfect: breakfast staff, desk staff, bar staff, security and night staff, and particularly staff working in the thankless invisible job of housekeeping (which in this hotel really is invisible, since it's done right). Able, willing and committed, all of them, to making my experience in the hotel so positive that I want to come back.

And after more than 10 years, I have to say: so far so good. Well done Chris Gilmore and his management staff for nabbing and keeping the best people.

Room Tip: Definitely worth the small extra for a sea view room - fall asleep to the sound of waves.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of the hotel, we always look forward to your visits and hope they continue for many years to come, best wishes for a good new year, Chris Gilmore GM
Colorado Springs
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We booked this room with a Groupon voucher so were expecting a basic room for 49GBP. What we got was room 311 which faced the street and the beach and far surpassed our expectations. At first it seemed our room was overly noisy, something another reviewer had complained about, then we noticed one of the top windows was opened and once closed it was very quiet. The room was very large with ample closet space with full-length mirrors--if you were staying for a week or more you could fully unpack with shelving and his-and-hers hanging racks and tuck your suitcases out of the way. There is a small room safe in the closet.There was a small sitting area with a table and two chairs as well as a desk with outlets to plug in chargers. The bathroom was well-stocked with shampoos and body wash and towels. The king-sized bed was very comfortable, the pillows adequate but not great. We had lunch in the pub downstairs where the food is good and reasonably priced. We did not try the dining room, opting for dinner out. We shared a Club Sandwich and chips and it was more than enough food for the two of us and we are hearty eaters. The breakfast buffet was fully stocked with a variety of pastries as well as Full English fare--but skip the hash brown triangles as they are not very good. Staff was friendly and helpful, there is an elevator but we chose to walk the stairs and admire the Christmas tree and general decor. There is free parking available in the lot and there are also some spaces on the street if the lot is full. We hope to get the same room when we come back during warmer weather.

Room Tip: Be sure to check all windows if your room seems noisy. We have found most hotels in the UK keep a w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steelrgrl
Thank you for your review of the hotel and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, keep a look out on our Facebook page for more special offers over the coming months, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM