“Good and not so good”

Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Our room was nice and clean and not smelly. The bathroom was great. The staff were pleasant. BUT why were we put at the very back of the hotel, without even a glimpse of the ocean when there was virtually no-one in the hotel????? And there was much noise (sounded like moving furntiure) upstairs until gone midniight?? I think it was staff accommodation. And then the doors started banging shut before 6 am in the morning. And to get suitcases from the carpark into the hotel is very difficult....perhaps a ramp could stop back injury (soreness) as happened with my husband

Room Tip: Request a front room when entering the hotel, if you don't want to be down in the boondocks
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased you found the room clean and nice, the allocating of rooms depends on the price paid and whether or not a guest is a member of our E Club or Best western membership scheme. we do have promotional offers on our website for any future visit you may consider. Due to the design of the hotel from the rear car park it is not possible to install a further ramp, we do offer complimentary porter service for all guests please ask at reception on arrival and the luggage will be taken to your room, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the this hotel. The rooms are a bit quirky with creaking floorboards and a bit old fashioned, but comfortable. There is generous and extensive public rooms with fantastic views across the Solent. We attended a Dinner & Dance....this was located in a public room together with other groups on the annual Christmas get together. The food was pretty good considering the nunber they were catering for.

Our dissappointment and my wifes upset were the rowdy group that eventually erupted in a mass brawl.....it would appear the Hotel had no response. When it tumbled out on to the street the Police intervened with a number of arrests. I made comment to the manager upon my departure saying that with the number of functions they cater for they must anticipate outburts of trouble.....I was greeted with 'it happened after I left, so could do nothing'. In future can a reccomend that they have adequate security cover.

Room Tip: Choos a seafront room....it is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for all of your positive comments which are appreciated and I am sorry that your wife felt upset, as I explained to you on the Saturday morning " I did not witness the incident as I had left and had to rely on the night managers report" this indicated that two brothers attending a company function started a fight between themselves and the "brawl" was other members of the company separating them The management escorted one of them off the premises and the brother followed. The five company's attending that evenings function were all regular guests and we would not have anticipated any problems so our regular security team were given the evening off, hindsight is a wonderful thing but we will now review our policy when holding future functions, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights to celebrate a "50th" birthday party! The rooms were large and very, very clean and we had a great sea view. Breakfast was superb, there was everything you could wish for!!!! if your thinking of staying in Portsmouth, do not hesitate to stay here!!!

Room Tip: we stayed on the 1st floor and we were happy,
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you fro posting a review of the hotel and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, everyone who attended the party has passed on very positive remarks, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have used this hotel on many occasions and always found it to be well organised , clean and helpful staff.
I decided to hold my 50th birthday party which was to be a 50s themed night for 140 people,I was greeted by Davina to discuss my arrangements for the function hall, then Paul the head chef for my food requirements as it was to be American diner style food, Sandy was next with drinks on arrival and they were all extremely helpful and full of enthusiasm.
I also arranged for 10 rooms to be available for family travelling down from many different parts of the country, they all praised the staff and management for catering to their needs impeccably .
The rooms were superb, food equally superb the whole evening and breakfast next morning superb!!!! Which made my 50th birthday superb!!!! Credit to Mr Gilmore and his staff .
Thank you, thank you, thank you one and all x

Room Tip: Spacious rooms with sea views comfy beds
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melodybalchin

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel and personnel, I am pleased you had a great evening with us and look forward to hosting your 50th, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Excellent customer service and great setting right by the sea. A fantastic escape any time of year near the historic Naval dockyard and Henry the eigth catsle etc. Portsmouth Gunwharf Quays shopping experience is second to none

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Neil T
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed the fantastic sites that Portsmouth has to offer, I hope you visit again soon, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed November 30, 2013

As I was intending to take the Wightlink ferry to the Isle of Wight, I'd started to look at hotels in Portsmouth itself but was put off by some of the earlier reviews and by the price of the better options. Guessing that a taxi from the railway station would only be a few pounds I plumped for Southsea as a better alternative. I was glad I did.

The Royal Beach pretty much delivers what you'd expect of a good 3+ hotel. It clearly has a high occupancy rate so this is reflected in the average price being, I suspect, slightly higher than its immediate competitors. But book early and there are good rates to be had I'm sure.

Location is pretty much perfect right on the beach but on a cold and wet night in November this was somewhat lost on me. Even in the morning low cloud and drizzle hung over the pier.

The hotel itself more than made up for the weather. Staff were friendly and efficient and special thanks to the duty night manager who allowed me to use the office printer to print off a boarding card when the guests' computer siting in reception broke down.

My room overlooking the promenade was huge. Clean and perfectly adequate. Breakfast was excellent too.

Overall the hotel has a slightly old world charm about it but none the worse for that. I can only assume that the look and feel for the place in the height of summer would be completely different; frequented by holiday makers rather than business types.

Recommended though - even out of season.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Art4All

Thank you for a very descriptive review of the hotel, I am really pleased you enjoyed what we offer, the hotel does change its customer base slightly in the summer but corporate guests are always more than welcome, regards Chris Gilmore GM