“Does what it says on the tin!”

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Hertfordshire
“Does what it says on the tin!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We booked several weeks in advance and paid £134 for a 3 night stay, staying in a double room (239). Yes the room is compact but the large bed was extremely comfortable, with a good quality duvet and over sized pillows. We particularly appreciated being able to go to reception to collect additional pillows which were instantly available. Although hanging space is limited it was perfectly adequate for the length of our stay. The desk area was useful as I spent large parts of the day studying whilst my husband was working in nearby Fareham and the available Wifi was problem free throughout our stay, both in the room and in the common areas. Although small, the bathroom had a powerful shower with limitless hot water and was clean and fresh. Each day as I had left a do not disturb sign on the door a bag was left hanging on the handle with clean towels, toiletries and refills for the tea/coffee making facilities available in the room.
We used the bar several times and sampled food from the menu which we both enjoyed. Drinks were very reasonably priced for a hotel too. I particularly appreciated the free croissant given with a hot drink purchased during the day as I do not eat breakfast.
All staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay and we would happily return here to this well positioned hotel when next in Portsmouth. At around £45 a night you cannot go wrong!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ibisportsmouth, Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you so much for such a fantastic review. We always appreciate to get this constructive and positive feedback from our guest.

I am so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will be looking forward to seeing you again very soon!

Ibis Portsmouth hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is a basic city centre hotel and it does it's job fine. I think we paid around £65 per night including breakfast, booked a couple of weeks in advance.
The room is compact but it holds a full sized double bed (which is also very comfortable). The wardrobe is actually 2 panels with rails and shelving.
The bathroom doesn't appear to have a fan but does have a port hole window to open.
The heating was from an electric heater which pumped out some significant heat, even on a cold November night. Not sure what this would be like in Summer as does not seem to have any air conditioning. Bathroom has a shower only and would be troublesome for an obese person. Clean, tidy, good breakfast, pleasant staff who are also British. Carparking only £6 per day and in walking distance of main attractions. Very close to the university.

Room Tip: If you are obese, choose a different hotel if they do not have larger room. My father in law stayed...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you very much for such a constructive and positive feedback.

I am so glad to see that our service met your expectations, and we will be looking forward to seeing you again very soon in Ibis Portsmouth.

Ibis Portsmouth Centre hotel
Milton Keynes
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights, we had a room on the 4th floor. The rooms are very compact, but you are only really sleeping in them so its not a big issue. The Hotel is centrally located to Portsmouth City Centre, close to shops and the train station.

The bathroom is very small, you struggle in the shower and using the toilet is an experience in itself, if you are tall like my husband and I, your knees will touch the wall when you are in a sitting position. The bathroom is too small to dry yourself in and you need to step out into the bedroom.

One receptionist was very helpful as we had lost our mobile and keys, she went out of her way to help us. This is more than can be said for the French Receptionist who came up to our room as we could not work our remote control to turn the radio on..... she treated us like we were a couple of idiots..... I am sorry but if a remote has music and a menu on them and I press them, I expect them to do what it says on there.. APPRAENTLY NOT!! you need to press the TV button... Sorry, we should have known that.

The breakfast was good, plentiful, help yourself, buffet style - the hotel has had a face lift since I last visited.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guests,

thank you very much for taking a minute of your time and write this review about your stay with us. It is a pleasure to see that, apart from a couple of issues, you had a nice stay.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you again very soon.

Thank you again for your comments.

Ibis Portsmouth Centre hotel
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The bedroom was fine and quiet, but the bathroom is too small. The 'restaurant' area is awful and exposed being right at the reception/front door area. Food was only okay and the breakfast room eating area was like being back at school. Had to pay extra for parking. Good central location. Poor value for money and I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ibisportsmouth, Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking a minute of your time and write this review about your stay in our hotel.

I am pretty sure that your stay took place at the same time than the refurbishment works that we were carrying out in October. All these works have now finished, and you will be able to enjoy a brand new breakfast, dinning and public area during your next visit.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Assistant Manager
Ibis Portsmouth hotel

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The room was clean, comfortable and although yes the bathrooms are small, space is at a premium in a hotel like this. Don't expect 5* it is exactly what it advertises as, a cheap but good hotel. I went for two nights with my girlfriend as a trip to visit the city, it's very central most places you would wish to see in Portsmouth are walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ibisportsmouth, Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking time to write this review about your stay with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed it.

We always appreciate to receive such a constructive feedback.

I will be looking forward to hearing again from you soon.

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel was designed for midgets .the rooms are extremely small the closet was non existent . The bathroom was so small you had no room to sit on the toilet properly and it was very difficult to bend over in shower to wash your feet .terrible value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ibisportsmouth, General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guests,
Many thanks for taking the time to write your comments about your last stay with us. I am really sorry to read that this was not to your expectations. Pelase accept my apologies for inconveniences you experienced due to the size of the bedroom.
Kindest regards
Emilie Dengremont
Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was disappointed with my experience at this hotel from the very first contact with staff. I parked out side and went in to find out about parking arrangements where I found notices on the check in counter saying that the car park was full. I asked the young lady on the desk where should I park and was told 'on the meters'. When I asked where they were she just gestured and said 'outside'. She could not have been less helpful or friendly and I felt I had received the equivalent of 'the Gallic shrug'. So I went 'outside' and found the meters £10 for 24hrs. What I also found though was the Uni car park which is open to all and is £2 per day - bargain. It would have been nice to have been told this by reception as surely they should know these things for their 'guests' convenience. So we went to our room (only one card key and no smiles) to find what is more akin to a prison cell than a hotel room. Tiny, cramped with bed against the wall so impossible to get out without climbing over partner, harsh lighting (or complete darkness), unbelievably small bathroom. I asked reception if they had a better room and was flatly told they were all the same? We were there to run the 'Great South Run' and were going to stay the night after the race but decided against it and to go home even though we had paid for two nights. When we checked out the staff were the same - unfriendly. No one asked how our stay had been or why we were checking out early and I couldn't be bothered to take it up with them as it would have been a complete waste of my time and effort. I would, under no circumstances, stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The best rooms are not in this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your feedbacks about your recent stay in ibis Portsmouth. I am sorry to read that this was not up to your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this.
Kind regards