“Weekend stay at Ibis Portsmouth Centre”

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

we stayed here on our wedding lovely comfy beds staff were so polite and helpful, breakfast was excellent despite renovations going on at the time would definatley come back again disabled room has a massive shower room and the bedroom had loads of space

Room Tip: cant add anything more butim sure all rooms are excellent
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ibisportsmouth, Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear guests,

first of all, congratulations on your wedding!! It was an honour that you have chosen us for such an important day. I just cannot begin to express how happy I am to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It will be a pleasure to have you back as soon as you wish to.

Thank you again for your nice comments.

Kind regards,

Luis Ortin
Assistant General Manager
Ibis Portsmouth Centre hotel
Cowes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I arrived late. Two rooms were booked for a colleague and I. I was given a card to access the room and went and tried the card, which didn't work. I came back down and they checked and re-coded the card. It still didn't work, so I returned to reception. No one arrived for several minutes. When someone did emerge they re-coded the card again and came up with me. The card still didn't work and the staff member went down to get a 'special key', at which point my colleague opened the door, looking very confused - they had been sending me to his room.

The room was clean, but as soon as I opened the window I was hit by incredibly loud noise from the bars on the other side of the road. Nothing they can do about that, but be aware if you like not to sleep in an airtight container this is a VERY noisy location, past midnight.

In the morning I went to shower and found the mixer would not move from 'scalding'. I spent some time easing the flow back and moving the lever to different settings, but it made no difference. Time being tight (and not really wanting a random member of staff in my room when I was stripped ready to shower) I made do washing in the sink.

When I came down to check out and explain I wasn't happy the receptionist queried my operation of the shower - not something I've ever had trouble operating before. I said I really wasn't happy about the whole experience and was handed a form to complete as she didn't have any authority to do anything and the general manager wasn't in yet, but would call as soon as she got in.

The general manager didn't try calling me until ten past five that afternoon. Unfortunately, as I was at work, I missed the call, but called back just after half five, when the particularly unhelpful receptionist (who answered after a VERY long time) explained she couldn't do anything because the general manager had gone home. Obviously I'm now waiting for another call-back, although the receptionist didn't bother taking my name, so I guess the onus is on me to call back again and work this out.

Dreadful location and spectacularly terrible customer service. Don't stay there.

Room Tip: Find a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Thomas C
ibisportsmouth, General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review about your recent stay in Ibis Portsmouth. I am really sorry to read that your experience did not meet your expectations.
Please contact me on h1461-gm@accor.com should you wish to discuss your comments further.

Kindest regards

Emilie Dengemont Marceau

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for about 3 Days on my return to university while I Waite. For my tenancy at a new flat to commence.
It was the cheaper option out of majority of the Portsmouth hotels an was the only one with a room available for my specific time period.

PROS:
I quite liked the comfortable beds which provided me with a superb nights sleep.
The Hotel location, within a central location of the city gives access to numerous amenities nearby from bars, restaurants and clubs just across the street to shopping are was only a few minutes walk or cab ride away.
The in house restaurant which served breakfasts an dinner was delightful and the bar well stocked.

The reasonably priced room rates are fair but this then leads me onto my CONS:
You would expect a bit more for your money especially from an established brand such as ibis belonging to a large hotel chain.
Expectations such as room service which isn't a offered option in the hotel.
In addition to that there's no lunch served unless specified or ordered prior and in that case you would be required to pay for it.
The room cleaning service finishes @ 1 o'clock. Meaning if your not up and out of your room by one, you'll have a uncleaned room all day.

I kind of got the feeling that they were understaffed at the hotel, not sure if they were or not but it's still never a good feeling to have within a hotel.
All in all, a pleasant overall stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

thank you so much for your feedback. We really appreciate when we get this kind of constructive comments, which are really helpful for us.

Despite of the incoveniences that you mention, I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we will be looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Kind regards,