“Perfect stay”

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We have used Ibis hotels for years now and this was our second or third visit here. OK the rooms aren't huge but the location coupled with excellent taxi services made this an ideal stopover.
We asked to have a room at the rear of the hotel because we know there can be nightlife noise from people returning from the popular pubs and clubs just around the corner. Our room was spotless and the bed was by far the most comfortabl ehotel bed I have slept in in a long time. It certainly put some 5* hotel beds to shame. We have learned that you need to get an extra pillow as we both prefer 2.
The ensuite facilities were also spotless but slightly cramped. Plenty of hot water and an excellent shower.

OK; it is a budget hotel. But it is an excellent budget hotel. If you want something more spacious then this isn't for you. If you want somewhere to stay handy for all Portsmouth and Southsea amenities then you won't go too far wrong here.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the rear of the hotel. OK the view isn't great but the front can be noisy late...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LickeyEndBlues
ibisportsmouth, General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Portsmouth. Kind regards, Emilie MARCEAU

Write a ReviewReviews (1,590)

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

This is very much the 'budget hotel'. Our room was clean and we'll presented, but as with the other reviews, the room was very small. I've seen bigger bathrooms in a caravan! Also, it's a minor gripe but in 2012 why can't we get all of the freeview channels on the TV? Only three radio stations (one of which didn't work, d'oh) Breakfast was functional, nothing more.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Bren99

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us.
I hope we will h ave the opportunity to welcome you back soon in Ibis Portsmouth.

Kindest regards

Emilie Marceau

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here for one night and was pleased it was not for longer. Despite it being October the room was stiffling hot. Leaving a window open was not an option due to the noise from outside. I assume it's close to a nightclub as there were drunken shouting until 3am and this was on a school night. The bathroom was a joke, smallest I have ever seen and the shower leaked as the drainage was not working properly. The porthole windows were the best feature of the hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hongkongphooey99

Dear guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay at Ibis Portsmouth wasn’t up to expectations. If you would like to discuss the matter with me, you can me on h1461-gm@accor.com. Kind regards, Emilie MARCEAU

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Reception, breakfast, staff - all are perfectly acceptable. The staff are willing to help.
The rooms are on the small side, but clean, functional and comfortable. This hotel has everything you need as a base and to be honest, when you are staying at a hotel like this, you are not planning on spending a great deal of time inside your room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tanyag80

Dear guest,

Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis Portsmouth and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Emilie MARCEAU

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I always stay at the Ibis when in Portsmouth. It is a basic hotel, no frills, but adequate for my needs. Plenty of choice for breakfast. Ideally situated for the ferry terminals, shops, Gunwhard Quays and theatres. Staff are always pleasant and friendly. Would never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Ibis Portsmouth. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Emilie MARCEAU

Reviewed October 17, 2012

A group of us stayed here over a weekend. This hotel does what it says on the tin, clean, comfortable and reasonably priced (provided you book early as with all budget hotels). Yes, the rooms and bathrooms are small, but how long do you actually spend in them? Our room was perfectly fine for what we needed. One friend had a problem with noisy neighbours in the corridor but our floor was quiet - luck of the draw. Despite looking onto the main road we had no road noise, unlike other places we have stayed in a similar price bracket. We used the bar (not the cheapest) but not breakfast - there's a Wetherspoons up the road! Reception staff were very helpful with maps to the restaurants we'd booked and everywhere was clean. Overall this was a good visit and we would use Ibis again. This is our second one, having stayed in the Bristol Temple Meads one a couple of years ago.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank brightspark89

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I found Reception, Housekeeping and the Rooms to be very good. However, the bathrooms are somewhat cosy and could be difficult for a 4X size person! The bar was not permanently manned and at no time during the 2 day stay wax the full restaurant menu available. The snack menu was available until late, but service was shared with the bar. All items on this menu were available 24/7 which infers they were frozen and microwaved. However they were tasty and filling. There seem to be no acceptable restaurants nearby. Car parking on the hotel site was £6.00 per night extra. Something of a surprise , but cheaper than the parking outside. However I did collect a double puncture in a tyre from screws lying about in the car park. It is now 3 days since I reported this and returned home. No one has yet contacted me to apologise or offer to pay for the damage. If you wish to use the car park be warned that there are a lot less spaces than rooms and the car park fills up quickly. Would I stay there again? Yes, as it is convenient for me to do so,

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Portsmouth. Can I please ask you to contact me directly regarding your issue with screws of your tyre on h1461-gm@accor.com to discuss it further. Kind regards, Emilie MARCEAU