“Posh and busy. Lovely.”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Not cheap but a great evening. Nice food, pretty surroundings and enthusiastic waitresses. We'd definitely return.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Is this the best that Portsmouth can do then ? We were catching the ferry and researched where to eat . Read the reviews in GFG and made a booking. We were given a table in the new conservatory - it was 6.30 and all
Litho ugh warm outside it was chilly in here. It was also atmosphere less . It was like an average cafe. There did look to be more atmosphere in the bar and the original restaurant so if you do want to go make a point of avoiding the new. Conservatory. We had hummus to start and it was bland and very boring and average. I had salmon salad which again was middle of the road . In my dessert I had ice cream and expresso and there was just one really small ball of ice cream - hardly a portion. I would not bother paying it a visit again . Surely Portsmouth has more to offer

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We love the A Bar and have been there a few times. On Saturday we booked a table for 8 for my sister's birthday and it was great. As it was sunny it was even busier than usual but as long as you don't mind that, the atmosphere was fab.
A bit strange outside that they have waitresses out there but they only seem to be there to clear glasses rather than serve drinks - you have to fight your way to the bar for that. I had a bit of a strange tasting Pimms, very watery. I took it back to the bar to complain but they were so busy that I didn't bother and moved onto the wine instead!
The food is consistently high quality and of course, the wine is great too. We had the special offer wine which was fantastic and only £15 a bottle.
A minor point about the food - I had an Eton Mess for my dessert and compared to the rest of the food it was really disappointing. It is not a challenging dish! Meringue, strawberries and cream.....unfortunately I was served up packet meringues (really?!), with defrosted fruits of the forest which were quite sour and not much evidence of cream. There may have been ice cream in the bottom but I'm not sure as I didn't finish it.
The rest of the food was pretty good and some dishes excellent. The fish & chips there are always good and the tuna tartare lovely. The crab salad and moules were both delicious. The service is very good as well.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Abar is a local for us and we dont often eat there mainly because we generally go for a drink. We recently had dinner and I have to say the sirloin steak and pepper sauce was fabulous, and what is even better is they now do skinny french fries! So well worth a try. The only downside of being so good is that the bar gets absolutely rammed full to the gunnels on a weekend so it can be noisy and not very intimate. They have a great outside seating area which is a firm favourite for the locals. The wine list is very good, and if you fancy a nice Cote De Provence they have it stocked from their wine outlet above. The staff are always top drawer and the owners are often to be seen checking on everyone. It is a good team effort. If you are looking for quiet and intimate however this is not the place for you

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I always liked it here, but I have been here a few times recently and they appear to have decided to buy those cheap stale burger buns last seen in the 80s. I really dont understand why you would make a really good burger and chips the spoil it with a cheap bun! The children's pasta with cream was just that... dried pasta with a bit of cream and nothing else. .. fine but for about £5 and some cheap ice cream, I can see where they make their money.

1  Thank Hello037