“An impressive new dish from the daily specials”
Review of The Belle Isle

The Belle Isle
Ranked #87 of 655 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“An impressive new dish from the daily specials”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Belle Isle is often packed out at weekends, but my son and I were able to find a table at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon. We've been many times before, and I decided to try something different this time. There was a choice of two mains on the daily specials board, and I picked the coconut breaded chicken on citrus and thyme rice with mango salsa (£10.95). My son chose to have halloumi fajitas (£10.95) with a mug of tea, and I ordered a decaffeinated Americano which was free of charge as I have a loyalty key fob.

The chicken was very tender and a generous serving. There was more mango than I expected, and it was a little strange that it was very cold alongside the warm chicken, but it was enjoyable all the same. I couldn't manage to finish the rice, but my appetite is probably smaller than average. The waiting staff were very efficient, and a waitress came to ask me what I thought of the chicken as it was the first time the chef had cooked that particular dish. I said that it was very good, but that perhaps there was a little too much mango.

My coffee had a very good flavour considering it was decaffeinated, and I appreciate the fact that there is no charge.

The ladies could do with a little attention, as there are only two cubicles and one was out of order. A few tiles need replacing in the other one.

• Visited September 2013

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“used to be amazing.... then cutbacks”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

When you order a "gourmet" fish finger sandwich at £4.50 you dont expect it to be birdseye fish fingers... we could of done that at home.
Burritos are dull looking (mince was almost grey) and had a funny aftertaste... ended up just eating the tortilla and my mums chicken open sandwich had a hair in it, the kids meals looked ok, no complaints from them but they are 7 and just wanted to finished their lunch so they could have icecream.

This used to be our regular place to eat on a friday or saturday but now its gone down hill - will be visiting Yonkers more often instead

Visited September 2013
1 Thank DonnieDoughnut
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Fun place for a drink, nicely furnished and what looked like a good menu. We only went for drinks but will visit again later for a meal.

Visited September 2013
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Merely average”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Food was well presented and portions weren't to bad but there was no real wow factor. Looks like they have some good offers if you're lucky enough to be in the on the random days and times there on. Probably wont return for a while.
Glass of red wine, coke and a tiny kids coke over £10

• Visited September 2013
“Midweek dinners”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

As always top quality food and service. As much a I try I can not find any points to mark this icon of Southsea down. Been shopping so popped in for early dinner. staff are always helpfull and by 7.00pm it was buzzing. There a few resturants/coffee shops in Southsea that would do well to get one to BI and see how it's done properly.

Visited August 2013