“Authentic quality indian / bangladeshi food”

The Gandhi Restaurant
Ranked #73 of 655 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The award winning Gandhi Restaurant has been specialising in offering the Finest Indian Cuisine in Portsmouth since 1979. The key to our continued success is our passion for high quality Indian Cuisine combined with faultless service. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic quality indian / bangladeshi food”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Went there by accident as we couldnt find any other restaurants close after our day out. Food is delicious healthy and presented well. Try tandoori roti which is pure wheat nan. starters are very good but very small so you might want to order one for each. Service is bit slow. They need more trained staff. Owner was very helpful in making some exceptional veg dishes for some of the veggies in our group. Highly recommended if you love good curry.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank spicesnchilli

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Take away delivered on all counts”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

If your after a take away look no further !!
We wanted a take away Indian banquet at home yesterday ( Saturday night) . We rang this place as my partner had been for a meal there many years ago. We rang ordered there was no repeating myself like you get when dialling takeaways. They looked up my address using their system. We got onion bhagi, grilled paneer (cheese), sheek kebab for starters. Lamb madras & lamb dansak for mains. A selection of keema naan, chapatis & popadoms. Every part of the meal was cooked perfectly and it's difficult to say which was best though the grilled cheese was really incredible. Although it was Saturday night it was delivered " hot" after about 45 minutes. The only thing wrong was they forgot to put a menu in the bag as I requested. Being from Yorkshire known as the curry capital it knocked the socks off anything I had eaten up there ( I've had an awful lot !) thank you to all the management & staff of Gandhi we will be using you again when we want a curry !

6 Thank Mrbojangled
Fareham, United Kingdom
“The Best curry in town! ”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

After reviewing Gandhi and seeing a couple of mixed reviews I was left in two minds whether to come or not.

Me and my wife walked into is beautiful looking masterpiece where we were greeted very nicely by the smart professional looking waiters. We felt like we were sat in a very nice, clean and friendly environment.

I had the King prawn Sylhet and my wife had the Rajesthani chicken and I have to be honest the food was the best we have ever had! We were looked aftered very well by the friendly staff who make sured everything was spot on for us.

We've literally been to every single indian in Portsmouth and Southampton and the only regret I have is why couldn't I have found Gandhi earlier!? I would recommend everyone to try this place out and you'd love it!
Service 10/10
Food 10/10
Quality 10/10
Gandhi restaurant 10/10 !!

8 Thank Steven F
“Flavourless food, terrible customer service! ”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We were greeted at the door and shown to our table. We were left with the drinks menu for 10 minutes then our order was taken. We had to ask to see the food menu. Our drinks came and we ordered our food.

I ordered the following:
Sylhet...Cooked in a special blend of spices and Bangladeshi naga chillies.
My fiancé ordered the Darjeeling
Cooked in cubed onions, green peppers, garlic, green chillies & fresh tomatoes. A dry dish.
Served with fairly hot sauce.

WELL both of these we're lacking in flavour and certainly weren't anything to go crazy about!

The customer service was horrific! Not only were we left for long periods of time without any attention from the waiting staff, (who were either stood around doing nothing or trying to serve the same table as their colleague, unnecessary and pointless)! They didn't ask how our food was and they didn't ask if we were ok with drinks either!

After waiting a long time for our plates to be taken away, (plates full of the flavourless food), we were asked if we wanted dessert, to which we ordered two ice cream based 'treats'.. Once they finally arrived we realised that these ice creams were the most flavoursome things we ate all evening.

Overall the service was terrible, there was no personal touch or rapport building from the waiters. The waiters clearly don't know what they're doing and how to serve customers in a restaurant!

If you want a decent, flavour packed Indian/ Bangladeshi meal with waiters who serve well and appreciate your custom then you need to visit the AUBERGINE IN ALBERT ROAD/PORTSMOUTH!

THE AUBERGINE IS THE BEST INDIAN RESTAURANT IN PORTSMOUTH!

3 Thank Kerry R
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Can't think anything but Gandhi. ”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I went to gandhi restaurant again and had my chicken sag which was lovely and presentation was significant . Another thing which attracts me mostly and that is their beautiful and tidy restaurant so these things make me to rate them as in five star restaurant . Keep it up gandhi . Obviously I would like to come again and again .

6 Thank rommio