“Excellent Takeaway”

Ranked #71 of 653 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The award winning Gandhi Restaurant has been specialising in offering the Finest Indian Cuisine in Portsmouth since 1979. The key to our continued success is our passion for high quality Indian Cuisine combined with faultless service. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Takeaway”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Excellent takeaway. I have been using this restaurant for around 10 years, both for takeaways and eating in, and I think this is the best Indian restarant around. I've never had a bad meal from this restaurant.

1 Thank Pete J

Portsmouth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“can't fault it”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

the service was attentive and the food tasted excellent. it was my first visit but i wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

1 Thank sazzel89
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“authentic”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The food, staff and service were excellent . This was the first time I had been and I will be thinking about going again.

1 Thank seagrove11
Southampton, UK
“Greasy, tasteless”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Picked up a takeaway last week from this highly rated restaurant. We were very disappointed by both the currys which had a thick layer of grease over the top and tasted much the same as each other even though one was supposedly much hotter than the other. Bleugh. Also very annoying to get home and find the rice was missing so had to make do without. Would never recommend.

Poole
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I'd been here several times before, so was looking forward to the usual great meal. However, although one of the waiters was very friendly, the service in general was quite poor. We were given popodums to start - there were three of us and only two popodums, whcih seemed strange. The dish I ordered was listed as 'fairly hot', but, although it was tasty, there was not much heat to it at all. Mild or, at a stretch, medium, I would have said, until you actually chewed on a chilli. The lamb dish ordered by my friend came as chicken. The mistake was rectified, but that meant either one person eating and the other waiting or letting rice and naan get cold.
When we had finished the main course, we were given menus for puddings and coffee, but nobody came to see if we wanted anything, so we decided against, asked for and paid the bill and left. Unusually, there wasn't anybody to say goodbye to - nobody seemed to notice us leaving.
After so many good meals here, this really was disappointing. We shall give them one more try, but if it's no better that time, we may well decide it's time to move on!