The George Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
Rydeview Hotel(Portsmouth)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe pubhistoric dockyardsunday roastgunwharf quaystrain stationsecure parkingfull english breakfastportsmouth harbour stationfive minute walkcar parkclean roomsfriendly hotelmary rosecomfortable bedhms victoryspinnaker towervisiting portsmouth
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The George Inn has a documented history since 1731 as a hostelry. With that kind of background, one would expect that the hosts know how to take care of their guests. In this, the traveler will not be disappointed. Paul and Nikki Wilkinson go the extra mile to ensure that their guests are comfortable. I have a physical challenge that makes stairs hard for me to negotiate, so they moved me from the third to the second floor. When it came time for us to go to the bus station (which is only a 5 minute walk away), they arranged for an employee to give us a ride.

Jill in the dining room serves up a really great full British breakfast, which is included with the room. Eggs, sausage, British bacon, beans, toast, OJ, cereal, and bottomless pots of coffee and tea. She is happy to alter its contents for personal preference - I don't go for beans at breakfast, and she subbed a nice piece of cheese, which I like with the scrambled eggs. We didn't eat dinner there, but the prices are very reasonable, and we were told by other guests that dinner, like breakfast, was really very tasty.

Of course, the building is several hundred years old, and that means that rooms are not as large as modern hotels offer. There are no telephones in the rooms. But they have strong free WiFi as well as flat screen TVs with many channels.

The entrance to the Royal Dockyard Museum is only half a block away. This was our original reason for staying at the George Hotel. Now that we have been there and enjoyed the warm ambience, I wouldn't stay any place else in Portsmouth.

Room Tip: Room 1 in the back looks to be the quietest. We were in room 5, which is in teh fromt over the restaurant. Very little noise from the hotel, but traffic (on Friday and Saturday nights when we were there) was active until 1 a.m. or so. Quite a few happy revelers going down the road ent a merry background sound from time to time. But for these noises, the beds were comfortable and teh room was very clean and the en suite bath with a large tub rather roomy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Westsail374
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed for two nights in a twin room and although the bed was comfortable the room was dirty. The room was tired looking and the headboards on the beds which were of a cream satin material were very dirty. It would have been much more hygienic and easier to keep clean if they were of metal or wood. On the floor were a couple of bottle tops. Both the hand basin and shower taps were covered in soap residue, they obviously haven't been cleaned in a while and the worst of all was the "black" toilet brush, bearing in mind that these can be bought for around £1 there really wasn't any excuse especially as I paid £160 for the two nights. However, on booking this room I did find the staff to be very courteous and pleasant. Great location.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Mandy277
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is a traditional pub with rooms that were clean and really comfortable. The staff were friendly and welcoming and really made us feel at home. A very comfortable bed and large bath made the stay relaxing. Breakfast was substantial and really set us up for the day. Parking was close and reasonable and once we were there we hardly needed the car it is so central. The pub was relaxing to have a drink and chat in. The only snag was there are no hairdryers in the rooms, only central shared ones and when I needed one they were all out. This was a shame for the sake of a tenner a room. When I go back (which I will) I will take my own, but I'd rather not have to.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The George November 2013 and our stay is still on our minds. What a marvelous start of our trip. We were heading for the start of our cruise from Portsmouth and the location couldn't have been more ideal for us without a vehicle. We were able to walk to a shopping center to pick up some last minute forgotten items. We also took in a nice photo retrospective on the Rolling Stones at the Town Hall.

That evening a Doors tribute band concert at a local music hall ended back at The George with a warm welcome from owner Nicolette and her husband and many friends in the pub downstairs. There was a true sense of community and genuine friendliness felt. Offered a local ale and after fun conversation we headed off to bed. The room was comfortable, quiet (even off the Main Street), clean and a blessing after a long day.

The breakfast the next morning was hearty and delicious. It was nice chatting with some Aussies at the table next to us.

The location by the historic docks was wonderful for a leisurely stroll.

Our stay could not have been any nicer and we are so impressed with Nicolette & The George. We are already plotting how we can come to Portsmouth again.

Room Tip: Within walking distance of many sites.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MTJTraveller
Reviewed April 1, 2014

If you are looking for a swanky boutique hotel then this is not for you; However if you are looking for a spotless warm comfortable friendly welcoming hotel extremly close to places of historical interest and city centre then you will find it when you walk into the George. We spent two nights here in March to see the Mary Rose and have no problem in recommending it . Whilst we did not eat at the hotel in the evening as we dined with family we did have breakfast each morning and it was faultless. Looking for somewhere to stay in Portsmouth - look no further

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple