“Handy hotel for all the attractions of Portsmouth, just outside of the main gate to the historical dock yard”
Review of The George Hotel

and 1 more site!
The George Hotel
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The George Hotel is in a good position for all the attractions in and around Portsmouth, many within easy walking distance from the hotel. It is a few minutes’ walk from the bus and train station at Portsmouth Hard, and the rooms are over one of the oldest Pubs in Portsmouth. Having stayed at this hotel last year, I was pleased to find all the friendly faces I had met before. Check in was swift and the room was both clean and airy. There was a well stocked tea and coffee tray along with biscuits; it is nice to have more than two tea bags which I have found in a lot of other hotels I have stayed at recently. As I like a tea at night as well as first thing in the morning, the shower was great with loads of hot water and enough towels to dry you. I had to eat out on Monday night as the Hotel does not serve food on Mondays; there are plenty of restaurants in the area along with Gunwharf shopping centre nearby. The following day I had lunch and dinner in the Hotel, both meals were great as good as last year. Good home cooking at not over the top prices, the ribs are one of my favourites on the menu. And the selections of beers are good at the bar, served at just the right temperature overall the Pub and restaurant give off a friendly and calming atmosphere. There is even a wishing well in the bar, where you can toss a coin in to make your wish. If your wish comes true is another matter, my advise don’t wish for too much. Another hotel on my list to return to, as the owners Paul and Nikki make you so welcome along with all their staff.

Room Tip: Back rooms if you want to sleep late
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The George Hotel

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my partners birthday, on may 19th 2012, when we turned up at the hotel , i parked on the road and nikki (the landlady) came out to help us take the bags into the hotel, she directed us to the carpark accross the road, where we were able to park the whole time of our stay for a discounted price.
although we were too early to book in , i was impressed that the owners were so helpful in taking our bags early.
once parked we proceeded to the historical dockyard , which was litrally a two minute walk away from the goerge hotel.
we returned to the hotel later that afternoon to book in , and once again given a warm welcome from paul , when we arrived in our allocated room , our bags had been put there and we were pleased with the overall room, it was clean and adiquate , with tea and coffee facilities and biscuits, and a tv on a wall mounting ,
later that evening we arrived we had a delicious meal in the restaurant downstairs , which had a warm and welcoming feel to it, the meal portions were huge , and very good value for money, the staff were incredibly friendly , and accomadating .
we followed our meal with some drinks in the bar, and found the owners , very chatty and friendly , and we were given a free drink for my partners birthday.
the bed was very comfortable , and in the morning we had a wonderful breakfast consisting of full english or a selection of fruit and cereals.
when we booked out we were going to take our bags back to the car and go for a walk , but the owners said you can leave your bags here if you like and pick them up later, which was lovely of them i thought,

the whole exsperience of the george hotel was very nice, it is a warm and welcoming place , made even more welcoming by the wonderful friendly owners , paul and nikki, i highly recommend this hotel, its good value for money, and goes on the list of the nicest hotels i have stayed in .
only wished we could have stayed longer, if we visit portsmouth again we will stay at this hotel if we can.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Thumbs up to Paul, Nikki, John, Chef and the staff for their hospitality.

5 minutes walk from the coach and railway station, which are next to the Dockyards.

Took room 5. Felt like i had the whole wing to myself. It does face the road but i had no problems with the noise cos the weather made sure nobody hung around too long. Comfy bed with a bathtub, toiletries, coffee, tea and snacks (great biscuits), LCD TV, cupboard, enough room to swing a cat (figure of speech), free wifi, all for 50 quid (pounds) a night.

They serve breakfast fresh and piping hot, and not buffet-style. Their restaurant serve delicious food with fresh ingredients cos it was the first time I had to pick fish bones when i had the fish & chips. Not to mention their generous portions for the food and drinks. Even the tomato soup tasted wholesome.

It was very reassuring to know that after a day battling with the cold English weather, I would be able to return to a cosy bed and have a nice cup of tea.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2012

There are many positives about The George Hotel but unfortunately for us the mattress which was deep but very soft, (with similar springs to a sofa bed), was so uncomfortable we were glad we were only staying for one night. Maybe not all the mattresses are the same!

You will hear traffic noise if you are at the front as there is no double glazing. You may also hear revellers leaving the nearby clubs but as the weather was so awful we were only aware of loud voices once, as I'm sure everyone was heading home as fast as possible.

We forgot to ask about the discounted parking and no one mentioned it at the time, so missed out.

However, as others have said:
The location is great for the Historic Dockyard and Gunwharf Quays. Just a few minutes walk away.
The building is old and quirky and you can tell it has been recently decorated.
Rooms are clean and there is a generous supply of tea and coffee plus biscuits.
The hot breakfast was cooked to order and was excellent. Clearly good quality ingredients.

It feels more like a B&B than a hotel.
With assurance of a new mattress we would return!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Lovely large bedroom with a large well equipped bathroom. Excellent welcome and very helpful staff. My wife felt ill and a bowl of wonderful tomato soup was brought up to her. It was a room with double and single. My wife slept in the double, which was very comfortable, but I slept in the single which was a very tired bed and should have had a new mattress. Very quiet yet only 100 yards from the Historic Dockyards.
The pub itself was comfortable, good real ale and a good small restaurant. I had dinner one night which was excellent apart from a very tough steak.
Had I had a comfortable bed and tender steak it would have been 5 star

Room Tip: Rooms at the back and side are very quiet
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

In 1933 James Hilton wrote the above book whereby a traveller finds inner peace, love, and a sense of purpose in Shangri-La, now I’m in no way going to suggest that staying here guarantees you longevity but inner peace? yes, love? more of affection but you do feel as though you are an extension of the family, sense of purpose? definitely because staying at this wonderfully run place is unlike staying at a sterile hotel where you are in isolation here you become a part of what is happening and you are made to feel that you are very very welcome. Paul and Nikki (the owners) are definitely winning here, its value for money in bucket loads, on top of offering you en suite bathrooms you get the added bonus of the communal bar when after a long days touring / sight seeing you can see the end of the day through whilst enjoying the company of the staff and some of the locals who together make this an uplifting experience and if you do decide to go just keep an ear open to listen to the bar music being softly played its an absolute gem of a mix of tracks the only down side I found was waking up feeling a bit of a thick head (hang over). Build it and they will come…..and they are.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Some friends came to visit us in Portsmouth and we managed to get them in this family run hotel? Lovely hotel, staff were really friendly and helpful, food great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends