“Irate man kicking front door”

Waverley Park Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portsmouth
Waverley Park Lodge
Ranked #24 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Room 2 has no form of heating in the tiny bathroom, there were small black mould patches under the window and a thick crust of black mould all around the shower tray. The missing chunk of tile in the bathroom had been filled in with grout and the bit hanging off the door had been put back in place with 5 big nails.

At 8am my husband was accosted outside the front door by a man demanding to know if he was the brother of so-and-so and were they in. Having answered no, my husband came in and shut the door behind him. The man then exploded in a fit of rage. It was a bit unclear between all the shouting and swearing, but it appears someone to do with the owners owes £100 for something and he wants his money immediately. Having failed to obtain his money, he kicked the front door before storming off.

The breakfast cook seemed to know something about the background to all of this - perhaps the owners could resolve the issue before he comes back and burns the place down or brings a sledgehammer with him.

Our friends were also present in the breakfast room during this incident and offered to provide their details in case the police became involved and need witnesses.

We paid £110 for two night. The Ibis would have been much cleaner, less threatening and better value although admitedly we would have had to pay for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bethan P
Garry S, Owner at Waverley Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

The money owed was for papers owed by a lady who died on Christmas day, the bill was not mine and therefore not mine to pay and should be dealt with by her estate. it is important that all our customers and customers of other establishments are felt to feel welcome and safe and i thank anybody who left contact details in case the idiot should return which i feel is most unlikely.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I stayed here for two nights back in the summer while flat hunting in the area. The hotel is in a great location and we experienced none of the grumpy service or problems with our room or breakfast that a lot of the other reviewers seemed to! I would suggest perhaps that the staff respond better to friendly customers... Understandably!

We live round the corner now but would definitely book friends and family in here when they come to stay!

• Stayed: August 2013

I'm very happy we looked after you and you left with a very big smile
kind regards

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have been staying in Waverley Park Lodge for the best part of the last 6 months whilst working away from home. During that time I have only had one minor problem which was very quickly resolved by the helpful staff.

The rooms are clean, have ample storage and en suite bathrooms. The staff are friendly and the breakfast was tasty and of a reasonable size. On street parking is a bit limited but I always managed to find a space.

In short it has everything you need and represents good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your comments.
We hope you will visit Portsmouth again and consider staying with us

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have just stayed two nights at the Waverly B&B, on arrival i introduced myself (having pre booked over the phone) a lady that opened the door never said anything but walked off down the hallway, i followed and was lead into a kitchen, she asked my name which she wrote on a wipe clean board in the kitchen. she then asked me for the £70 for my two nights stay. I asked to see the room first and was taken to a very small room at the rear of the property. O.k it was small but at least it was clean, i was on my own so it would do. the room was 8foot by 7foot with a single bed.small cupboard with 4 hangers in it. no other furniture was in the room, there was a kettle,cup and tea and coffee. off the room was my en suit, which had no door on it to seperate it from the bed room. whilst laying on my bed i had the view of the loo 5feet away. the shower was a mission you had to step up into it 2foot off the floor, one small towel was supplied. at least the shower was hot.Breakfast was served the next morning, i had pre ordered a full english..it arrived,one small rasher of bacon,one small sausage one egg and two spoones of beans with one round of toast. I thought it was a chids portion.it was served by a cheery man who was at least chatty. my main concern was there was no fire evacuation signs anywhere none of the doors were fire doors. maybe i am wrong but i thought this should be in place should an emergency happen.parking was where ever you could get a space on the streets around. if you find one dont move your car or you will loose the space.I sat on the bench in the front garden of the B&B having a smoke only to be challenged by two crack heads for me to hand over my fags or they would take them from me. once they realised i would not be intimadated they moved on, this happened more than once. i know this is not the fault of the b&b but be warned this is the area they are in. Would i stay here again NO.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights and by the the end we were tearing our hair out the staff weren't accomodating and the breakfast was awful we were told that we had to come down for breakfast at 8 o'clock because it was more convenient for them and when we asked if we could have a different breakfast from yesterday they answered a stern no!

we would never stay here again and would advise not too!

1  Thank thebeautyprincess
Garry S, Owner at Waverley Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

During your stay with us at the Waverley Park Lodge you gave us the impression you were very happy. It is a shame that you and your friend “silky queen” had to give us negative feedback at the same time so as to maximise the negativity you could inflict upon us.
We did have set times for breakfast as we had a very small dining room and could not accommodate everybody at the same time. Our new modernised dining room is now open and rather than set times we now have a breakfast period.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We came to this B and B for 1 night and upon our arrival were met by the stern faced hostess ,who was most unwelcoming , she said " I thought you weren't coming till 8 o'clock ". We were taken to the kitchen to pay for the room, and the kitchen door was shut in my wife's face. The room itself was clean and the shower was good ,but had to keep turning the shower off to let the water drain away as you were up to your ankles in water. The room was situated adjacent to the main corridor between the kitchen and the dining room and was noisy with rattling plates and voices calling each other down the corridor at 6.45 am on a Sunday morning. Breakfast was a fiasco we were not told of any time slot as seen in other reviews, so turned up at 8.30am and sat down. We were totally ignored as the hostess preferred to slowly clear tables rather than prioritise guests, for at least 15 minutes. We were beginning to think we were invisible. The cooked breakfast was poor quality produce, and the cereals were the cheapest you can buy. We couldn't get out of the place quick enough. The hostess needs a personality transplant urgently. Would not recommend this place to anyone. The weekend was spoilt

Room Tip: Avoid room 11 as it is very noisy
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjn873

We are sorry you did not enjoy your experience at the Waverley Park Lodge.
We are addressing the situation with regards to the housekeeper/waitress. Your ground floor double room is no longer sandwiched between the kitchen and dining room as the new modernised dining room situated at the front of the house with it’s large bay window and freeview television is now open and breakfast times are no longer set in stone as we have a breakfast period. I don’t know how to respond to the comment cheapest foods as they are not of the cheapest brand.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this b&b for one night on sat 17th aug. when I booked the guy I spoke to was very friendly so I thought it was going to be ok. When we arrived we was greeted by the house keeper who as she opened said " oh who do we have here" not a nice greeting. Then we was told that she wasn't expecting us until later!! As we was being shown to our rooms she told us not to bring back Chinese or Indian but everything else was ok!!! A bit strange. We was asked wat we wanted for breakfast in the morning but was told that 8.30 was the latest time. Which I think for a Sunday is a bit early. The room it self was spotless decorated well with a new tv. The bath room was tiny you could just fit on the loo. We had the most awfull night sleep the mattress was terrible the pillows flat & u could hear everything from other room. The next morning for breakfast we had an allocated time 8.30am but when we got down to the room it was full so we had to wait 15 mins. The breakfast was ok. At one point the housekeeper came in & said oh god the orange juice has gone already. Well I'm sorry but if u only have one jug for 15 plus people it gonna run out quick. In my opinion that housekeeper should not be front of house if she cracked a smile that would have been nice. We met the owner in the last 10 mins of staying there, now he was lovley really nice guy he should be front of house. I don't think I would stay again.

1  Thank Lisajpay

We have taken on board your comments and are addressing the situation regarding yours and future clients welcome. We apologise for once being strict about breakfast times, but with the new modernised dining room now being open. I hope you and any subsequent visitors find the new breakfast times more accommodating. It is true we ask customers not to bring back Chinese and indian food to their rooms as this is smelly and liable to leave stains which are very difficult to remove. We now encourage people to eat their food in the dining room which is left open with freeview television to watch. I am sorry you had a bad night’s sleep, but you must appreciate it is very difficult to find a mattress that accommodates everybody’s needs.