“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #2 of 707 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A fully re-furbished restaurant that has played host to a Thai restaurant and more notably Murray's which was a Portsmouth institution for many years.The former chapel for Portsmouth Grammar School has been delicately restored to a modern, sharp and elegant venue for fine dining.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

The good service starts before you even get to this restaurant. I was asked about allergies when I booked the table. On the morning of our booking I received a telephone call to check details and confirming the information regarding my allergy. You are taken straight away to a relaxing corner of the room for drinks and hors d'oeuvres then taken to your table. There is a lot of space between tables which makes a lovely change as far too many restaurants try to get in as many tables as possible. Food was so good with some very unusual tastes. Because of my tomato allergy the chef made a special stock that evening without any tomato product in and I was given a different pre starter to everyone else which was lovely. Mine and my husband's duck was so delicious and very tender but I shouldn't really highlight that as everything we ate was excellent. This restaurant seems to have got it right on all counts, building is assuming decor though not minimal is not over fussy, staff excellent and attentive Thank you Restaurant 27 for a brilliant evening I wish we lived down in your area so we could come more often, just think we may need to come and visit our son more often!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I don't know if we would have found this lovely restaurant without having consulted Trip Advisor. We visited on a stormy January weekend where waves were lashing the south coast. We were blown along the promenade by a gale, umbrellas inside out, to step into a haven of tranquillity. Booking last-minute, we had to take an early sitting, but there was no rush - the service was pleasant, friendly and informative. The cooking was faultless, from the exquisite and most original hors d'oeuvres through the beautifully presented menu. Everything was elegant, subtle, and delicious.
The building is very modest and unassuming; the interior is restrained and comfortable. Nothing distracts from the excellent cooking. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Rosemary P
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Went on the recommendation of Tripadvisor reviews And they are not wrong
what a fantastic meal. We had the signature menu - Keith the chef's taster menu - but lets start at the beginning
Welcomed into a lovely bar area and enjoyed raspberry Royales mmmm - very nice & served with 2 each hors d'oeuvres - lovely
Then taken to our table by friendly knowledgeable staff and then spent an enjoyable 2/3 hours over the fantastic signature menu including goats cheese, chicken terrine, sea bass and beef cheek - All served with style and care & prepared with absolute focus, attention to detail and quality
Had some lovely wine & finished off with a chat with Keith - As we said then & repeat now He and his Team are doing an outstanding job - They have more than earned a Michelin star - We will return

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Portsmouth is not renowned for its up-market restaurants; however, in “Restaurant 27” we believe we have found one. We were lucky enough to attend a dinner at this comfortable restaurant which was specially prepared for the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs.

We started off with smoked salmon blinis with lemon, beetroot, caviar and sour cream, followed by whipped goats cheese, pistachio shortbread and cumin honey. The fish dish was wild sea bass with potato and truffle ravioli followed by BBQ glazed beef cheek as the main course. A lemon custard meringue with sorbet and mint was served for desert, a plate full of flavours, and finally there was a cheese tasting of several unusual English cheeses to finish the meal. I understand that the BBQ beef cheek is to be often found on the menu and would recommend it to all. The meal was served with a good range of wines from France, Italy and South Australia.

The service and presentation were excellent from the friendly staff. It was a first class meal and if this is the normal standard of cooking at this restaurant then it can be highly recommended.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

What an incredible experience. From the moment of arrival we were treated like royalty, and we weren't alone! As I looked around the room I watched as astounded customers discussed 'the beans under toast'. One woman caught my eye and said, "can you believe this?"

Having eaten at some incredible Michelin starred restaurants this is easily on par!