“Faultless!! Truly excellent!”

Ranked #1 of 685 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A fully re-furbished restaurant that has played host to a Thai restaurant and more notably Murray's which was a Portsmouth institution for many years.The former chapel for Portsmouth Grammar School has been delicately restored to a modern, sharp and elegant venue for fine dining.
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We selected this restaurant after reading reviews on trip adviser and were certainly not disappointed, in fact it far surpassed my expectations. Firstly when asked for any dietary requirements I mentioned that I am pregnant and the staff took this into account at all times offering alternatives where certain foods are not recommended during pregnancy.
The staff were impeccable. Friendly, welcoming and attentive. The food was... INCREDIBLE! Just beautiful! We were offered canapés whilst we drank our complimentary champagne for taking the early relay table. The whole experience from start to finish was fantastic and totally worth the slightly higher price tag. This would make the perfect venue for a birthday or anniversary or just a weekend treat. I cannot wait to visit again! Thank you Restaurant 27!

1  Thank Rebeccapearson89

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Best restaurant Southsea , nothing compares for miles around . If you want a classy meal you need to try this out. The outside is deceptive , a lot larger inside and can cope with 30+ diners. The food is modern and lives up to its two rosette status. You cannot beat the chocolate mouse . To die for !! We had sea bass and pork belly for mains , both superb. Service was friendly and very attentive , even though we only had soft drinks they were constantly topped up. Overall would recommend to all.

1  Thank Sean M
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Belly pork. Not so long ago this was definitely a lower-class food. I used to really like it stuffed with sage and onion and quick-roasted to get a really crunchy crackling: better still later, cold, with bubble and squeak and pickles. Now of course, slow-cooked, it’s obligatory and any restaurant aspiring to acceptability must serve it. If you go to Montparnasse in Southsea (I haven’t, but it’s highly recommended) you can have 24 hour belly of pork. When Restaurant 27’s owner/chef Kevin Bingham moved from Montparnasse he upped the ante and offers 30 hour belly of pork.
And it is entirely brilliant; as is all the food at Restaurant 27. This is a guy who’s heading Michelin star-ward. The evening I visited, main course offers included BBQ-glazed beef cheek (OK, another ‘modern classic’) with cavolo nero and purple carrot, wild sea bass and roast umami duck with leek fritter, feta and apple. And 30 hour pork belly of course. Choices - oh dear.
Nibbling some awesome amuse-bouches and sipping a manzanilla, I was saved by the suggestion that I might like to try a taster menu. Well hey, OK then.
So after an intense pre-starter (not sure what it was now but it was in a glass and had a spoon and was very good), some fluffy whipped goats’ cheese with salted pistachio and cumin honey was followed by a roast chicken terrine with piccalilli and sage. Restaurant 27 offers no matching wine flight for its tasting menu but a glass of Terre du Soleil Souvignon was pretty good. The bass with pea and parmesan ravioli followed and it was time now to close my eyes, eat very slowly and enjoy. And now was time for the pork, with cider roasted swede, pancetta and charred onion, it was worth every minute of its 30-hour cooking. I finished a glass of merlot and asked for a glass of the Chilean Gewurtztraminer to accompany a Manuka honey and ginger cake with clotted cream ice-cream: another brilliant dish.
Traditionally British for a while, I took a glass of port to accompany the cheese, a selection as good as I’ve come across. I declined the Vacherin, gently pressed on me (oddly, I’d had quite a lot the day before), but still had four or five first class English and French cheeses.
A really fine experience. Absolutely first class innovative food; comprehensive but moderately priced wine list; excellent staff.
You’re not likely to stumble across Restaurant 27, tucked down Burgoyne Street, a side street off South Parade in Southsea, by accident. So go there deliberately. If you’re anywhere near, go tonight. If you’re further away, go as soon as you can.

1  Thank PJPikes
Reviewed November 18, 2013

8 of us (on a Portsmouth Poly re-union) eat here on Sat 16th Nov 2013 and all had the tasting menu. The food, the service, the explanations of the courses, the ambiance were all excellent. A superb choice of restaurant by the party organisers (Brian & Jan) led to a memorable evening. Very well done Restaurant 27!!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went there for Sunday lunch birthday party 12 of us and a toddler, the staff were fantastic, the food was great, my husband said best belly of pork he has had in a long time. Highly recommend it and will be going there again soon.