Lombard House Bed & Breakfast
$120
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$87
$128
$136
$113
  • Breakfast included
$56
Best Western Royal Beach Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$76
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
$115
All reviewsb blord nelsonyellow roombreakfast room in the basementhistorical knowledgehistoric dockyardgreat hostsroom was largefull englishperfect locationbuffspermitcerealferry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Lombard House B&B for two nights. Car parking was easy-peasy thanks to landlord Alex issuing parking permits. Everything spotessly clean, comfortable and cosy. Wonderful friendly welcome, nothing too much trouble. If you like history this is the place for you with lots of artefacts of byegone days. Breakfast a mini banquet. Try it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Yvonne W
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I must endorse all that has been said in the previous excellent reviews. My wife and I stayed two nights to visit the historic dockyard attractions. The building itself dates from the 1600's and the interior is full of interest.The room we stayed in could not be faulted, it was spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed, and quiet.
Alex was a tremendous host and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was served in the basement dining room full of character and charm, the food being both generous portions ! and tasty.
A return visit is in order !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cweavers
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This has to be one of the little gem's of Portsmouth. I tried getting a room last week but they were fully booked. I managed to get one for last night, and I have to say I was VERY impressed. WE SHALL BE BACK ALEX!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JerichoTetley
Reviewed June 17, 2013

There is not much that I can say that has not been said in other reviews. Finni and Alex are great host's, the house is a bit like walking into a museum (in a very good way) the room was spotlessly clean and comfortable with plenty of good quality choice on the hospitality tray and the breakfast was without doubt the best I've ever had. If you are interested in Napoleonic history you could spend ages just looking around the breakfast room.
The location is great for Gunwarf Quay (a great shopping centre) and a relatively short walk to the historic dockyard and Southsea with all of it's attractions.
Probably the best recommendation I can give is that we have already booked another stay.

Room Tip: Both rooms look equally good ours only had a shower but I believe that the other had a bath.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bob S
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a terrific place to stay.
If I remember correctly this was probably a naval officer's house. It is at Portsmouth's historic centre, and is full of inspiring historical artefacts. Alex is a PhD (politics I think) and he and Finni make historical films especially about the Napoleonic era part of the time as well as letting rooms. They spent much of Nelson's anniversary year playing Nelson and Lady Hamilton, and are very knowledgeable and inspiring to talk to about the period - and much else. The house is small and beautifully tidy and clean: the ground floor sitting area in the small hall and breakfast room in the basement are packed with eccentric and beautiful treasures, including a full replica of Nelson's second best uniform (a replica, not a costume, containing nine miles of gold braid) and several Napoleonic era officers' swords but also bowls of pretty stones and found objects. There are fascinating books everywhere. The narrow stairs have a teddy bear on each step... The effect is quirky but lovely. Memorable and unique.
inni and Alex live on the first floor, and the two bedrooms are on the top floor. Because we booked at the last minute one was busy, and my wife and I shared the small and cosy front room with both our children. The double bed was very comfortable. There is also a single bed (it doubles as a sun tanning apparatus which was odd but no problem) and Alex and Finni arranged a mattress on the floor for our daughter. It is beautifully quiet in the room, and we and a great night's sleep. The room and its bathroom were spotlessly clean. Breakfast was perfection. Hugely generous and top quality. We found the wifi really useful too, and were delighted to park immediately outside. We ate at Abarbistro just down the street: a great meal.
Obviously the room isn't designed for four but it was very kind of Alex and Finni to accommodate us - and it worked really well. I can't remember how much we paid but I felt we had underpaid for a very special visit. Fantastic value.
I feel bad I have taken so long to get this review on Tripadvisor. I really thought I had submitted it immediately after our stay, but somehow messed up. I hope to return: not just to take the children to the submarine museum which we didn't manage this time, and to other sights, but also for the joy of visiting Lombard House. We'd all like to see Alex and Finni again too...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family