“Amazing little B and B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portsmouth
Lombard House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
newport
“Amazing little B and B”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at the Lombard house over the Bank holiday weekend ...had read the previous reviews on trip advisor and thought it was worth a visit. I'm actually not going to give too much away with this review just to say if you are planning a stay in Portsmouth then you must book this B and B ...to Alex and Finni a massive thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank phil1962Newport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We arrived on Wednesday 27/03/2013 & we have a further 2 night stay here & all we can say it's a little gem of a place stacked with history a family run business.
There are no lifts, lots of stairs to work off the big breakfasts that are put in front of us every morning mmmm delicious & I am a real vegetarian/coeliac & my food requirements have been met 100% anyone who really knows me will be saying ( high praise indeed) as food wise I can be difficult to please Alex surpasses himself every morning 10. star plus.
If you want reading material there are a number of books in the room & hallway to read in addition magazines too no extra charge.
Yes the Lombard B&B is dearer than say Travel lodge but you do get what you pay for. Oh did we mention it is Excellent Alex & Finny are top class. Kitty & Frank xx

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank KittyMcRaw
York
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I wanted accommodation close to Gunwharf Quays as I was leaving to sail on a Challenger Yacht to Gran Canaria with the Tall Ships youth Trust. My train arrived at Portsmouth Harbour Station and Lombard House is about 10 minutes walk from the Station. I arrived at Lombard Street and my bearings were a little out as I was expecting the B&B to be on the left and it was on the RHS. (and here is me going sailing??)

Apart from the booking, my first contact with Alex or Finni was when Finni called me on the phone to find out my arrival time and last minute directions. That was very helpful. (I was still on the train)

When I arrived at Lombard House it was raining. I was a little worried about the light coloured carpets getting dirty. I tried not to wear my shoes on the carpet all the time.
The accommodation was very relaxing. Good Shower and Double bed. The walk to Gunwharf Quays was about 5 minutes or so. Quick and easy. It was nice to have a nice sleep in a proper bed before my sail to Gran Canaria on the yacht.

I was in the front bedroom, and the TV had a small problem in that when I walked past it the screen pixelated. Quick tweak on the coax appeared to sort that. The TV size was quite fine for its proximity to the bed.

Lombard House is an eclectic mixture of items tastefully spread around the house. Ok I did like the teddy bears on the stairs. It all has a warm and homely feeling. Quite charming.

Breakfast was served in the basement. I was on my own as the other occupier had taken breakfast earlier than myself and gone by then. I was taking it easy as I did not have to be on my yacht til 13:00 and there was certainly no rush from Alex. The basement has a low ceiling so be careful. The basement almost felt like being on an old ship. (reminded me of HMS Warrior round the corner) Probably because one of Alex's Naval costumes was on show.
Alex had cooked the breakfast for me and I must say that it was one of the biggest English Breakfasts I had come across. The Bacon was gammon Steaks.
Alex and Finni were very friendly and made every effort to be helpful. Giving me a run down on all the evening meal options in the area. I ended up going to the Water Margin Chinese in the quays.

Don't miss this place for comfort and relaxation and different experience from the norm.

If I was going back to Portsmouth, then I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I think one room has a bath and one a shower. Best ask when booking.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Gary C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights for the Xmas Markets in Portsmouth. Our rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable. The hotel is full of character and characters! Breakfast was plentiful and freshly prepared, although we did have to say what we wanted the previous evening. Nothing was too much for Alex the proprietor. Indeed, when I inadvertantly left our historic dockyard tickets in the room, a quick phone call, and he was bringing them to us in his car rather than us walking back for them! We used both rooms on the top floor. Maybe just one little downside: When we wanted to use the bath rather than the shower, there was not much hot water. Other than that, we couldnt fault it.

Room Tip: Both rooms very comfortable. Yellow room has a showwer, blue room has bath.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lesley H
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a charming B and B in the heart of Old Portsmouth - the portion of the town with the best historic character. Alex and Finni, the innkeepers, are delightful, personal, professional and so helpful. Nothing was too much to ask to help us enjoy our stay. They oriented us to the town, suggested places to visit, and made sure our room was comfortable and impeccably clean. Really comfortable bed and pillows. Be sure to ask about the history of the house, we loved the stories.

We ate our first Full English Breakfast ever here - and it was a delight. A cab driver told us people always left Lombard House happy - and we can see why!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SimplyAmerican
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Mum, Dad and 2 kids; stayed for 2 nights. We wanted something central to Portsmouth and with a bit of character, not just a run of the mill chain hotel.

This property is a 4 level B & B run by a couple who live on the lower levels. They rent the two bedrooms on the topmost floor. We used both of the available rooms at Lombard which allows you to spread out. The house is in a great location. A short walk to basically everything you will probably want to do in Portsmouth.

There are a number of “quirky” issues about the place to be aware of... as mentioned, you’ll be on the top level of the property which is old and so the stairs are small and narrow and the floors, doors, everything creaks. This is to be expected but may annoy some guests.

The entry level of the house is ½ “museum” and ½ Alex and Finneys (the owners) living area. It was made clear straight up that the museum area is definitely “out of bounds” for the children. The floor above contains the owner’s rooms, whilst the basement floor is the breakfast area.
On the top floor the room on the left could be called the main bedroom. It contains a double bed and bathroom which has a shower attachment to bath taps but no shower curtain to contain the water in the bath if you try to use the attachment as a shower. Also, there is a clear glass window into the bathroom reducing your privacy whilst using the facilities.

This room contains a cold box the size of 2 drink cans which has rather an annoying noise. It is a little odd. I would suggest either putting in a small bar fridge or not bothering at all as it didn’t really get cold.

The TV is small and the channel selection is minimal. For us this was not an issue as we spent the majority of time out and about.

In the second room (on the right at the top of the stairs) there is a double bed and a single bed. The single has a large device similar to sun bed tanning tubes above it, which was, again, a little odd. The second room ensuite area has a “proper” shower but no bath. So when booking, if you have a preference for shower or bath, then I would make this clear.

Breakfast is interesting. You go into the basement that is stuffed full of historical artefacts. The one small window is at the top of the wall but looks out at street level, so you can watch peoples feet go by. Given that it has just this one source of light, if it is not a bright sunny morning then the room is quite dark. The ceiling is low and you need to be careful that you don’t hit your head. However, all of these features make it an interesting room with loads to look at and absorb.

With regard to the food, if you want some good ol’ fashioned English B&B food then it is definitely worth having. However, we found our slightly “continental” request was met with a little bit of a defensive tone as that was “not what was usually requested” – (hastened to add we didn’t exactly ask for anything to extreme). Still the effort was made to provide the request but the execution was a little lacking – well done for having a go but maybe it might be better to just tell people what the available choices are as opposed to giving the option of asking for anything – it’ll be easier to manage expectations.

Alex is a great host – very knowledgeable and worldly and happy to have a chat on many topics. He has a story about pretty much everything. Also, he is able to give guidance on the places to go and things to see and do in Portsmouth. His passion is history so he can help with anything you want to know about the history of the area. The hosts were welcoming, helpful and keen to please. They allowed us to leave our bags on site as we toured around on the day of our departure.

The location is fantastic and allows you to see everything without having to get into (or move!) your car. They have a supply of 24 hour parking permits that you can purchase for GBP 2.70. This meant we could park right outside our accommodation.

On a slightly different note, one tip that I did not read about anywhere was the “variable” entry price to the Naval Museum. Make sure that you tell the ticket staff if you are an overseas visitor and/or unlikely to return to Portsmouth. This is because the standard ticket allows unlimited entry for one year. As we were visiting from overseas we were unlikely to return, so the ticket person offered me another option – a once only entry ticket. Hence our family ticket was 40% cheaper than that listed on the signage.

Overall, if you are over 30 and a couple then this place will suit you down to the ground and you will love it and the hosts. For younger travellers or those with younger kids it may not entirely suit your needs.

Room Tip: Advise if you prefer bath or shower to select a room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Essexboy999
england
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My daughter has recently moved to Portsmouth and with no spare room I needed somewhere to stay when visiting her, she found this delightful B&B for me and knew I would love it, so much so that I had to completely re-arrange my visit to the dates that Lombard House had a vacancy, I did doubt if it would be worth all that trouble but she was right, It really is gorgeous, I felt so comfortable staying here and that was important for me being away from the rest of my family and having to stay on my own in a strange place.The owners are lovely and friendly without being obtrusive, the room I stayed in was big bright and airy, everything you needed was in the room, tv, hairdryer, iron even, it was absolutely spotless, free WiFi as well ! The house itself is lovely, decorated beautifully and the dining room where you have breakfast is simply stunning, I was very sad to leave both my daughter and the comforts of Lombard House but will without a doubt stay there on my next visit, I am looking forward to it already.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo