“Good Value”

Premier Inn Portsmouth North Harbour Hotel
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night prior to catching ferry. It didn't look as modern as the other Premier Inn across the way, but once inside it was fine. The receptionist was really friendly and professional. Our room was fine, spacious, clean and functional, with a nice strong shower in the bathroom. The location is good for informal places to eat. Instead of using the adjoining pub chain we took the short drive to the Port Solent Marina area,which is a nice dockside eating and shopping venue, with plenty of choice. Ok, not a patch on our experience on the return leg of the journey (stayed at No.4 Hotel - see separate review) but for under £40 a room, we thought it was very acceptable.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Yet again the reception staff were friendly & welcoming upon arriving for my 2nd stay at this particular Premier Inn.
Smiles, warm welcomes and even a laugh at me forgetting my car reg! (Must be my age!)
Very clean, very comfortable & quiet...just what you want when working away.
The beefeater next door is very good!
Great steak, fast service & clean. (Get in there early though as it is clearly a popular and busy place.)
The car park is adequate for the number of rooms, but seeing how busy it got, I'm guessing the pub attached had guests parking where ever they could see a space, so this might become an issue if you arrive late.
Would recommend this for its location, easy check inn, comfort & staff.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the reception end are quiet. Dont drive past the 1st sign on the left of the A27 Sout...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Highfx
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Budget hotels aren't my thing, I stayed here because my first choice hotel was not available, the online booking process was easy and the price was less than half of what I normally pay.

The building itself is uninviting and the tiny little reception area does not give a good impression, the corridor leading to the room was grubby with tired old carpet and by the time I reached the room I was expecting more of the same, but to be fair the room was a little better.

It was very basic, which I guess is what you would expect from a budget hotel, but it was clean, if a little tired. As advertised the bed was very comfortable and I did have a very good night's sleep.

I paid 3 pounds for 24hours wifi access, which had it worked would have been a very good price, however the signal in the room was so weak that the service was barely useable, I asked for a refund on checkout in the morning and the 3 pounds were refunded promptly and with an apology and an explanation of the problem.

I ate in the adjoining Brewer's Fare (or possibly Brewsters) restaurant with my kids in the evening and on my own for Breakfast, The food was good without being exceptional, but very good value for money and the service was excellent.

Staff in the hotel were very friendly and polite.

All in all, as a budget hotel it does exactly what it says on the tin, while I won't be visiting regularly again I would stay for a night again if my first choice was not available.

Room Tip: Apparently there are occasional issues with wifi at the end of the building furthest from reception...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LanzaPaul
Reviewed June 26, 2013

On returning from France on the ferry we three pensioners were fortunate to choose this hotel as our overnight stop. We had good clean rooms comfy beds and a very nice lady on reception.The restaurant was a pub next door where we had our evening meal it was very nice but we were there on a saturday night so very busy a long wait for our food,but the food was good it didnt help that we were so tired after a long journey,the wait meant that we were eating far to late.I am sure if we had taken the trouble to look we would have found other restaurants close by.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this Premier Inn. The hotel is old fashioned but the standards are very high. The rooms are a good size, as are the bathrooms, and are clean and comfortable. The staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful. The hotel consists of 2 floors. There is no lift so if you have a disability then I recommend that you ask for a ground floor room. There is a Car Park which is a bonus. The hotel has a restaurant on site in another building behind the hotel - Harbour Lights. The hotel is located in Cosham, approximately 4 miles from Portsmouth Town Centre. Cosham train station is around 30 minutes walk away. it costs around £8 for a taxi from the hotel into the Centre of Portsmouth and the Continental Ferry Terminal. We will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Needing to catch an early ferry the following morning, we sought out somewhere near to the port. This abode fitted the bill ideally, being an eight minute drive away and providing good quality accommodation.
The reception staff were well-trained and the good feeling was carried over in to the nearby but inaccurately named "Harbour View" Inn, where we chose a well presented light snack for supper. Fortunately, from the dining area it was not possible to view one of the less interesting parts of Portsmouth Harbour!
The location was quite quiet throughout our stay due to it being located a little away from the main roads.
We paid a reduced rate offer of only £39 without breakfast [circa £4-8] if required. We would still have found this place very good value at twice the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This premier Inn is much like any other and the other reviews refer. I just want to make a few points.

The cooked English Breakfast was not that good. On the first morning it was cooked to order. I ordered poached eggs which came hard all the way through although I asked for soft boiled. The second day was a buffet breakfast which was so so. The toasters are those rubbish big conveyer ones that kind of lightly char your bread on the way through without it changing colour. There was obviously a known issue here as there was sign on the toasters saying not to put the toast through twice. I ignored this sign, put the toast through twice and it came it out burnt. So its either uncooked or burned toast, take your pick !

The hotel has no air conditioning, which they do have at the Premier Inn, literally across the road and which is the same price.

It’s a ten pound taxi ride to the attractions at Gunwharf Quay.

Now the good bit. They tell you about the good nights sleep guarantee but you never think you will benefit from it but on the night we stayed a couple came in as 12.30, had a massive drunken argument in the corridor, which involved lots of pushing and shoving and falling against our door, waking us up. When I went to the reception to see if this qualified for under the guarantee they said it did and gave me the money back for that night there and then. I was so impressed I went and bought a shirt with the money. The poor staff told me the couple in question had not even got as far as their room before the both stormed back out of the hotel to continue their row somewhere else.

Room Tip: There is no lift to the first floor rooms so if you don't like stair ask for a room on the groun...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business