“Surprisingly Delightful”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Visited the Blanc in Gunwharf Quays early evening Saturday 9 Feb 13 with my wife and one of our daughters. Plesantly surprised to be ushered to a table straight away in what is a wonderful high ceilinged restaurant. We were informed there was still the 'daytime' menu available until 7 pm, which was three course (for about £14) so we decided to give it a try. The Mulligatawny Haddock soup was to die for! I could have sat there all night with my head in the soup bowl it was so good!! We all had different mains, I had the beef, my daughter the seafood pasta and my wife the cod. All dishes were (not huge) but ample, hot and delicious. Desserts were simple and lovely and I finished with probably the nicest double espresso I've had in a restuarant for some time! The waitress who attended out table was lovely and she poured what was a very, very good light French House Red wine which we enjoyed very much. Overall a 9/10 for us, which is praise indeed. Will go back as I now want to try their main menu which again looks delightful.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you want t wonderful steak, cooked nice a med. rare (we like ours rare so asked and it was cooked to perfection!), you will love this place. Dining before 7PM they have an excellent special of 2 or 3 courses for under £20. The food was melt in your mouth delicious. Loved it.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We visitied Brasserie Blanc for a Saturday lunch and overall it was a very pleasant experience. The service was professional yet low-key and unobtrusive, with no irritating enquiries as to whether we were enjoying our meal. The set menu offered good value for money and the food (onion tart starter and cod main) was fresh and subtle, leaving me nicely full rather than 'stuffed'. My dining companion chose from the a la carte, and had moules marinieres which came with a beautiful twist of a rosemary and bay-based sauce, followed by a fillet steak and frites. As she lives in Bretgane, France, she is accustomed to authentic French dining and felt this was a superb representation of it in the UK. I would put it on a par with other French restaurants in Portsmouth such as Kitsch 'n' D'Or. We would definitely recommend it as a high-end chain and break from the norm of classless, microwaved offerings by its neighbouring establishments.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The restaurant has mr Blanc name on it but don't expect the same standards. It is a French menu but thats where it stops, there is no French staff and I felt all the need a holiday in France to understand what they are trying to achieve. I live in the Haute Garrone and Toulouse is our department capital so our local dishes Toulouse sausage and Cassoulet so when I ordered this as my main dish I had no choice but to send it back as the sausage was more of a herb sausage with some white haricot and bread crumbs. Please at least try and read Mr Blanc's recipe book before attempting to pass off your food as being a french recipe. The staff where understanding and did reduce the bill by 50% and service was good but please don't give the Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons a bad name as people may think it is related in some way

2  Thank aspet4
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Booked a table for eight of us for a birthday celebration and it couldn't have gone better. Service was fabulous - one or two glitches that were soon put right, fabulous atmosphere and the food was great. The restaurant was packed so make sure to book. I was pleasantly surprised by the bill and would definitely eat here again.