“Great location”

Ranked #5 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

The room was compact but well equipped and comfortable, we were in the annexe at the back, very quiet, only four rooms, we were there for a wedding, and had 3 of the rooms booked for us, so really handy. Great for the pubs of Old Portsmouth and 3 mins walk from the sea. No breakfast, but was recommended the small Manna cafe just across the road, but to be honest, the breakfast there was dreadful, suggest looking elsewhere for breakfast. The duke of Buckingham is well priced, clean, comfortable and friendly, would definately recommend.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, can't beat the annexe
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked for my my family to stay in 'Old Portsmouth' for a relaxing break. On arrival all looked Ok from the outside. I checked in at reception point at the end of the Bar. We were shown up to our rooms in the attic, with no offer of help to carry any bags.
On arrival in to rooms bedding was clean, bathrooms disappointing and not as the website indicates! The double room was very small and we had to boil the tiny travel kettle twice to get two cups of tea!
As we had spent the day on the coastal paths, we decided to shower and get ready to go and spend the evening by the Quay, only to discover there was no hot water!
The member of staff was uncertain but knew exactly where to check so I guess this is not the first time this has happened. The water tank was stone cold and had clearly not been on as was switched off at three points. There was a shared 'compact' shower room two floors down which was offered. Very disappointed!
The hotel is listed as B&B although there is none available at all. The bar was also closed at 5pm on Sunday which I found strange on a bank holiday weekend which meant there were no after dinner drinks!

Room Tip: attic rooms have no curtains!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

The room was very small and the bathroom maybe the smallest we've ever had, but the place was clean, the bed comfortable and the wifi free and fairly strong.

Breakfast not included.

We had dinner in the pub one evening and the fish and chips were very good.

A ten minute walk to the old dockyards so very convenient.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Witney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went to Old Portsmouth to stay over the Bank Holiday to visit friends. Also went sight seeing at all the historical sights such as HMS Victory the HM Maritime Dockyard and Dickens Birthplace. Excellent Shopping at Gunwharf Quays.

My Stay at the Duke and Buckingham was excellent and I have paid far more for Hotels that promised a comfortable relaxing stay. The Location Of The Duke Of Buckingham is ideally located in the heart of Old Portsmouth and is centrally located within easy walking distance of all that I wanted to visit on my stay.
The room I was allocated was adequate, clean and stylish. The Bathroom was nice and with plenty of hot water. The front of House staff were pleasant and helpful. But the best kept secret was the amazing restaurant and bar. The food was excellent and on the level with many top hotels I have stayed throughout the world. The wine selection was wide and tastefully selected. The quite tabling away from the bar area was well thought out and allowed dinners to enjoy the ambience without been disturbed. But the pricing of this fine dining was unbelievably good value for money. The best kept secret in Old Portsmouth is the Duke Of Buckingham and I would recommend this establishment to anyone who would like a stay in Portsmouth.

Room Tip: All rooms are stylish and Comfortable but room 6 is a lovely room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark E
Llanelli, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Me and my partner went to portsmouth for an interview, due to the distance we decided to stay two nights. We had room 6, which I'll admit is small, but it was completely suitable for us. the bathroom was nice, a lovely shower, lovely little TV and the bed was perfectly fine.
The pub downstairs was lovely, although the locals were a little off putting. the staff allowed me to use my laptop in there, including plugging it in and were very helpful and polite during our stay. I didn't get a chance to sample their food, but it looked really good and people seemed very pleased.

the only issue I had was that the shower, or a boiler or something, made a lot of noise in the night. I still slept okay, my partner did not. just a warning if you need a good nights sleep.

I would stay here again, because it was better than what I expected for the price, and it's in a great location too, not far from Portsmouth Harbour station (walking distance) and really close to other attractions like Gunwharf Quay.

Room Tip: I think room 6 is not the best choice, judging by other reviews.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

A lovely pub, room was very clean. the shower was lovely but a bit high off the ground.The walls were thin you could hear next door. The windows are single glazed so you can hear the people walking by and cars going past. But we still had a nice stay here.Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

A great short stay Pub (Was there 1 night). I was in an attic room (quite a lot of steps so beware if you have problems in that area), which, though not huge was immaculately clean and well presented , no frills so to speak (No frills price for such a well situated establishment on a Friday night), and it did have the all importatant tea/coffee facilities.
Also present was a modern, fully functional TV (By no means taken as read in my experience).

The en suite was a little snug as someone has previously mentioned but, very modern and the shower was a dream, no hot water issues and for a reasonably large unit like myself, suprisingly roomy. It was also previously commented on, that the rooms were cold but mine wasn't, thus no complaints on that score. My only minus point was that the bath towel had a vaue odour of cooking about it as if it had been stored near the kitchen. Perfectly clean but worth a mention.

No the Buckingham doesn't provide/offer breakfast however that is what,

."• There is no meal option with this room.", on the booking form means.
A very comprehensive menu is available in the bar and the, in room, information points one to a good adjacent cafe for those who requir breakfast . I personally didn't try the food but it looked good and there was a brisk trade. I did have a very nice pint of real ale and the staff (and locals incidentally) were pleasant enough.

In short, a well sited no frills establishment in Old Portsmouth, perfect for a short stay, Good bus links and a ten minute walk from two railway stations, near to all the culture and shopping you can eat and reasonably priced.

Would have awarded an extra half 'Star' if 'twer possible.

Try it.

Room Tip: Number 10 in attic suited my needs perfectly
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family