“Dont expect much!”

Duke Of Buckingham
Ranked #5 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
“Dont expect much!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

This was a disappointing hotel. We booked 6 rooms for a night out in portsmouth, Despite the reasonable price of £50 room only, I was very underwhelmed.

The place feels more like a hostel than a hotel with tiny corridoors, tiny rooms and even smaller bathrooms. But at least they were en-suite and had recently been decorated. Only one of the 6 rooms was an acceptable size.

Location is good, just a few minutes away from the gunwharf but the rooms are not made to spend any time in. Would struggle to recommend this place to anyone. Even if it is just to pass out in after a night on the town!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Good clean room,cottage residence bit noisy was on the ground floor and the people above me kept running up and down the stairs during the late evening unfortunately couldn't complain to reception as there is no phone to communicate with the reception, and I had already showered and was in my pjs. The facilities in the room are very nice and plenty of tea and coffee. The shower was fantastic and very spacious.

Room Tip: Only a 5min walk to the Gunwharf great location
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melksham
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Arrived at the pub on crutches and as we had requested a ground floor room we were advised we were staying in the 'cottage' down a cobbled street to the side of the pub, apologies did not take any photos. The room was lovely had a double and single bed decorated to a high standard with everything you needed, television, ample tea and coffee facilites with mugs, electric radiator wasnt working so had a free standing radiator in situ, the room was lovely and warm. So as not to waste electric we turned this off when out and in bed, really surprised but the room held its heat amazingly.Bathroom was small but adequate with plenty of hot water, Lovely clean white bedding and towels completed the room. Staff were helpful and friendly, food was also of a good standard. No breakfast but lovely tea rooms 5 minutes away

Room Tip: If the pub is busy could possibly be noisy if you were allocated a room on the first floor directly...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

After arriving at the attached pub and checking in with the friendly staff, I was led along side the building through an alley to what looked liked the door to a shed or garage. I must admit I felt a tad nervous at what the room might be like, but upon opening the door my worries were over.

The room was very clean and stylish, and was perfect for my needs. There was an attached bathroom (everything was functioning perfectly too), a widescreen TV on the wall and enough room to store my luggage from months of travelling. The room was not large, but as I only planned to sleep there and nothing else it was more than sufficient.

The location was great; only a ten minute walk to the train station, historic dockyards or spinnaker tower. When I arrived I took a taxi; this is entirely unnecessary as it is an easy walk, even with luggage. The hotel is positioned on a quiet street; I heard no traffic during my entire stay.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Nathan F
Portsmouth
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We needed a good night's rest in Portsmouth UK that was comfortable, restful and not to hard to get to. We searched online and found this lovely place which after reading the reviews was just the ticket. The welcome was warm and welcoming, We where shown our room which was of the highest standard in an impressive historical building. The bed was very comfortable with the services of a modern shower room. There was a flat screen TV with a good choice of channels and the room was spacious too. Both V happy. We partook in a couple of drinks in the bar which offers a tasty selection of food too. Again very accommodating service. After the nights rest we awoke feeling rested and in a good mood. So if your looking for a rather nice just of the beaten track but close enough to all within hte city then The Duke of Buckingham is just the place for one or more nights too. Yes we will certainly return to this excellent little Hotel and fully recommend it to one and all.

Room Tip: This wonderful place offers all you would ever need for all be it work or relaxing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed for one night in this little hotel on a room only basis. The room and ensuite were stylishly decorated and very clean. Our top floor room was quite compact but we did not have a problem with this. The staff were very helpful and even let us have a room eary so that we could get ready for the wedding we were going to. We had a delicious lunch in the pub. Parking was on the street outside and we were given a notice to display in our car. The sea front was just a 5 minute walk down the road where there is lots to do and see.

Room Tip: A room on a lower floor might be bigger.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Farnborough
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed here for the weekend when visiting some friends. It was a perfect location to do some sightseeing in the Naval Dockyard and shopping in the Gunwharf outlet shops. I parked my car right outside the front door having been given a parking permit for the whole weekend.
The room was great value, clean and comfortable and the staff were very helpful and although they don't do breakfast, I was pointed in the direction of a great cafe under the railway arches which I otherwise would never have found. The best thing was the Sunday lunch I had with my friend in the Pub below the B&B which beat anything I have had in a long time. Thanks for making this a lovely weekend, I will be back!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends