Duke Of Buckingham
$126
$105
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$87
$128
$136
$113
  • Breakfast included
$56
Best Western Royal Beach Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$76
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
$115
Travelocity
All reviewsthe pubparking permitgunwharf quaysmain buildingno liftstreet parkingtop floorco opspinnaker towerwalking distancefamily roomiron and ironing boardsmall roomquiet areapub next doortea and coffee making facilitieswould stay again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed for a night whilst on a business trip. Managed to get parked right outside of the b&b entrance and was greeted by welcoming, friendly staff who checked us in and issued a free parking permit. Hotel situated above a contemporary/traditional pub, serving beautiful, homemade, locally-sourced, fresh food. Pub meals competitively priced and is of outstanding quality. Although breakfast is not included in the room rate, it IS now offered in the pub from 7am-9am weekdays and .8am-10pm weekends at an additional cost of £4.50 for a continental breakfast buffet or £7.50 for a continental breakfast buffet AND a full English. The bed was hard and a bit uncomfortable but lovely pillows! The room was tastefully decorated and very clean. Tea & coffee facilities provided along with fresh towels, free wifi and a flatscreen tv with digital channels. Hairdryers & irons were available upon request at the bar. Rooms could perhaps benefit from telephones to call down to reception to request items, rather than having to tackle 3 flights of stairs every time you needed to speak to a member of staff, especially if staying on the top floor. The owner was charming and attentive and the hotel itself is perfectly situated within a 5 minutes walk of Gunwharf, lovely for eating, drinking and shopping. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we hope to return again soon!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stay for two nights June 7th & 8th Great location for a city break. Just 5 minutes walk to Gun Wharf Quay Excellent value we paid £55 for doubleroom with en suite per night plus free parking. The staff were very helpful & friendly. Has just been taken over by a lovely couple also has been refurbished. Have just reopened kitchen & now serving lunch & Evening meals also will be serving breakfast very shortly. Our room was a good size & clean. I wasn't expecting anything flash, because of the price I had paid & other reviews. I can not complain, I was very happy with the service & our room was ideal for couple of nights. I would recommend & would stay again in the future.

Room Tip: We had room eight a good size room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Arrived at 3.50pm and managed to park easily - I think we were lucky! The room & en suite was clean & bedding was crisp. Don't expect frills of any sort as it isn't that type of place. You get what you pay for.
The voucher provided for the cafe 'Mannas' gets you one drink each - that's it. The cafe is a good cafe and I ordered the full breakfast. When it arrived I questioned the whereabouts of the mushrooms as advertised on the menu. I was laughingly told, 'If you're from the Duke of B, you don't get mushrooms!' Honestly!!!!!!!!
The Duke of B could easily lay on a Continental breakfast which would be a nice touch but obviously can't be bothered. Shame!
It is an ideal location for the tourist sites & shopping at Gunwarf. Approximately 10 minutes walk through 'old' Portsmouth.
Across the road is the 'Dolphin' which is Pompey's oldest pub.
Will stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 which is on the High street. It was warm so had window open but the volume of traffic isn't that bad.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Booked the hotel for a Friday night and called up on the Thursday afternoon to say we couldn't make it because the girlfriend was very ill and they could resell it. It was a non-refundable and non-transferable booking which I was aware of. I let them know I would try and get someone from the event I was supposed to attend but to let the room go regardless. Moy, one of the staff told me thank you and I could use the room another time which I was very impressed with and thought that was the end of it. I had no other reason to call and did so to do the right thing, which turned out to be a harassing experience.

Over a dozen calls later on the Friday night (which was far too many) to my girlfriend who couldn't answer the phone, me calling them again to explain the next day and asking them not to call anymore (to which Tom confirmed everything was alright), to more calls and an email from the manager contradicting everything the staff had said I had had enough.

Things go wrong and I appreciate that, but the way they handled it, the complete miscommunication internally and to me was just embarrassing and frustrating. If nothing goes wrong I am sure this place would be fine, but if it goes wrong you have no hope of a stress free stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boardmonkey
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago. We were in the "cottage" at the back and we were delighted in this proprty. OK it hasn't many frills but it is clean, quiet and comfortable.
The room was plenty big enough and the bed comfortable. It had tea/coffee tray. The shower was fine and hot water plentiful/
They don't do breakfast but do give vouchers for "Manna" which is just a few metres down the road. Parking permits are also issued to allow you to park outisde.
Great value.... thanks folks.

Room Tip: Try for th erooms in the cottage.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family