“not as bad as they say”

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“not as bad as they say”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

i stayed one night with my boyfreind we found the room acceptable it was clean and yhe bathroom was nice the bedroom was small the bed wasw terribly uncomftable and made loud squeeking noises ,,,,,,,,,,,,,the pool is for children being very small!!! the breakfast wasexcellent lots of choice and very nice the bar is quiet and pleasent and the staff were freindly we will come back next year

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rachkeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2010

1. Found all the staff from reception, porter, restaurant etc very friendly and helpful.
2. The hotel is clean, but could do with some refurbishment in some areas. Didn't consider this caused us any problems.
3. The bedroom we had during our 3 day stay was comfortable, clean facing the main road on the second floor. Warm and cosy.
4. Breakfast and evening meals were very good regarding quality and quantity.
5. Location for the Naval Dockyard, shopping at the outlet centre and visiting the Spinnaker Tower, one couldn't get a closer place to stay.
6. Free Car Parking. Given your own allocated parking bay during your stay.
7. Free internet WiFi. Had excelent signal in my room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2010

the hotel is old and it shows, the rooms are dated and cold, they dont even have duvets. avoid staying if you can help it, there are better hotels around for the price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Suffolk
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Our two day stay in Portsmouth, was to accomplish two things, looking round the historic waterfront,and meeting friends off the ferry at 6 AM .
Being wheelchair bound, our priorities were to be as close as possible to both.
Having searched two websites purely for disabled persons, we chose this hotel has been advertised as disabled friendly with rooms for disabled people.
Upon arrival, there is a long ramp leading from the front car park to the front door's, which was helpful, but was so steep, my wife had to ask for help from a person passing,despite us both being middle aged, and me being lightly built
The receptionist explained the rooms with disabled facilities were situated in the family annexe on the lower ground floor, accessed by one lift.
Upon arriving at the lift we tried several permutations but unfortunately it is not big enough to push a wheelchair in and stand behind the user. Because I was not able to lift my arms to request the required floor using it alone, my wife had to pull me into the lift, and stands between my legs Bending over me in order for us both to fit in, then having to go back for the very small suitcase.
On opening the door to the room, it was obvious the door openings were not the required width in the current legislation. We had to immediately turn left into the Bedroom area which can only be done by lifting and shuffling the wheelchair into position. Furthermore, the bathroom is directly opposite the end of the bed separated by only a few feet. Knowing how long it had taken to actually get me in the bedroom, we tried to push my chair into the bathroom and found it a physical impossibility, to turn the chair.
On returning two reception, and complaining, we were offered another room but in the same annexe.
We realized all the bedroom doors were totally unsuitable for wheelchair users, but if you persevere, we found the second rooms layout easier to get in the bathroom, but still very tight.
The bathrooms disabled facilities were simply a low toilet and a grab handle, shower over the bath being inaccessible to anyone with impaired mobility.
The rooms can only be described as tired. The wallpaper was peeling in places with water stains, the carpets worn and the whole annexe smelt musty. I have actually thrown away mattresses in a better condition than the one we slept on. My wife actually snagged her trousers as we were leaving, on the bedrooms chest of drawers, as one of the knobs was missing leaving just the screw protruding but to be honest we just wanted to get out as quickly as possible.
The staff, in particular the reception area, really didn't want to be there, and everything was just too much trouble. In reverse, the night Porter, despite its being six a M, was extremely helpful, courteous, and even assisted my wife with her bag to the car.
The good points of our stay was that the hotel is literally a 2 minute walk to the historic waterfront if you are wanting to visit the warrior, Mary rose,etc and that the evening meal we had in the hotel's dining room, which by 7.30 PM, was nearly full, was very good value for money, and very tasty.
Despite the hotels location, we still could not see how they justified a charge of £90.00 for a double room, much cheaper hotels only 10 minutes further away.
If you are confined to a wheelchair, or a wheelchair user with limited mobility, or your carer is elderly or not very strong, please avoid this hotel as it should not advertise catering for persons with disabilities.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank soulmates2uk
welshpool
Reviewed July 27, 2010

read adverse reports prior to going to the maritime hotel and didnt know what to expect.
speak as you find, is my motto, and all i can say is first class
helpful curteous staff,clean room,freshly prepared (room no. 1-7 i was in)
great location and i would definitely book again.
ROZ

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Worthing
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Myself and my friends stayed in this hotel for my 30th birthday, and disappointing is not the word! There were six of us, so we had three rooms in total, they were all awful, although I think the room I was in was the worst!! The bathroom was filthy, there were tiles missing from the walls and chips out of the bath and the bath panel was held on with tape! The room was boiling hot with only two tiny windows, one of which wouldn't open! In my friends room the draws had rubbish and things left behind from the previous occupants, we also over looked a block of council flat, and were so close that we could hear their music and shouting at their children. I only have one recommendation for this hotel, do not go there!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Claire80-worthing
Mid Wales
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Thought we'd pay a bit extra and step up from Trevelodge for a single night sleepover. Hideous mistake. The room was small and pokey. Chipped paint on the woodwork, peeling wallpaper, dusty smell. Nylon floral bedspread. In the morning the reakfast was OK only and the staff not unfriendly...aaargh..the more I think about this now, the angrier I get. For £45 I'd have accepted some of these shortfalls, for the £90 we paid, I feel throughly ripped off. Do NOT stay here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple