“In the navy now”

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Sleaford, United Kingdom
“In the navy now”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Booked here when my normal place in Portsmouth was full. Didn't get a chance to look at reviews, so went in blind. One of the strangest places I've ever stayed in. It's run as a charitable enterprise, and profits go to the Naval benevolant fund, so lot's of things can be excused. Reception was fine and efficient (looked like an ex Marine to me), room small, but equally efficient, windows weren't round, which by the end of my stay was something of a surprise.

The restraurant (mess?) brought back some mixed memories of my own time in the services. Acceptable, but not up to Hotel standards. Very limited range of main courses (I ended up having liver...which I dont't eat - which says it all).

The bar seemed to be full of ex sailers and their wives. Again, no problem with that, and the beer was quite cheap! There's a small indoor spa/pool, which is unusual at this price. Also guest "laundry room" which is a peculiar addition. I didn't see any signs to the "heads" though.

All in all, you're not going to shorten your life by staying here, so fine if you're stuck. But I'd look elsewhere first.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mick D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Needing to go to Portsmouth on Monday of this week and being ex Royal Navy I decided it would be a good idea to stay at the Maritime club on Queen Street. The club itself was a reasonable distance from where I wanted to be, however to say that they are living in the past would be an understatement. I was given a room in the west wing which reminded me very closely of the accommodation we used to have as a single person in barracks. The distance to get to the room and the convoluted route was simply amazing. The shower was something from a bygone age with very hot water even on the coldest setting and the spray nozzle sending the water anywhere but on to me. I was going to describe the room as clean until I woke up in the morning and discovered a dead cockroach under the side table, on reporting this to reception all I received was a belated sorry. I haven't given this the lowest mark as the breakfast was superb and most of the staff very affable. The prices at the club are equivalent to a decent hotel, all I can say to the management is wake up, this is the 21st century and not everyone wants to relive 1970's barrack style living.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights whilst on business and have very mixed feelings about the place. I'll start with the good stuff first;
Free overnight parking for 5 nights - first come first served basis and you are given a card to display on your dashboard with your bay number. I was allocated by 12 for 5 nights and had no problems with other guests stealing my space.
Free wifi - for the first couple of days my phone picked up the wifi fine but lost it after that. My laptop however was absolutely fine with the connection and I was even able to Skype my wife.
Good customer service - the staff were lovely, friendly, polite and helpful.
Location - 5 to 10 minute walk to Gunwharf Quays and the Spinnaker Tower, plenty of bars and take-aways nearby too.
And now for the not so good....
My room (225) was not nice...terrible in fact. Dated furniture, decor and bedspreads. Dirty marks on the walls above my pillows where people have rested their heads on the wall whilst reading in bed. Wardrobe had a hole smashed into the door. Pipes somewhere in the walls made the most horrendous sounds everytime I flushed the toilet chain and would go on until the cistern had refilled.
The carpets in the corridors were dirty - as if food/drinks/vomit had not been cleaned up properly.
The breakfast room doubles up as the evening restaurant which contimues to look like a breakfast room even when it's masquerading as and evening restaurant serving 'gourmet' food.
Bar lookedand felt like a working mens club.
So, to conclude - this place is fine if you don't mind a bit of no frills surroundings which can be forgiven when you consider the daily rate for guests and the free parking and wifi bonuses.
Would I stay here again? If my employer was paying then yes ok, but if I'm paying? I doubt it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Emma D
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights (Fri-Mon) with a friend.
Id read some of the reviews and they didnt put me off.
Location - Excellent.10 minute walk from train station. 5 minute walk to Historical dock yards and 10 mins to nearby outlet centre and Spinnaker tower.
Hotel - Very clean. (cant comment on the pool as all good intentions faded with a glass of wine, although it did look nice from a window) All shared facilities very clean.
Room - Now, Ive read some of the reviews about shabby room etc or decorated rooms with ikea furmiture. Well our room was spotless, obviously newly refurbished. Only complaint was the matresses were too soft for my personal taste. Oh and the shower was a tad pathetic in its spray!!! free tea/coffee in rooms. Yes very impressed.
Staff- all reception staff were very helpful when required. smiling and cheerful. Were able to get me some extra decaff coffee, when we had drunk it all, without concern or aggro. The dining room staff, well I didnt see them smile but they were efficient and wished us a good day as we left.
Food - we only had BB but breakfast was pretty damn yummy and lots of choice other then that of the buffet style, ie different eggs or kippers. so very impressed.
To sum up, I only used the hotel to sleep and have brekkie. I didnt use the leisure amenities on offer.
Would I stay here again?
If I were to require a hotel in portsmouth, then yes, probably. (Although did note the limited parking so dont know if practical in summer)
No real cons at all and yes i would tell friends about it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deborah S
Petersfield
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Don't really get the bad reviews about this place, stayed here twice now, its clean, friendly, good breakfast and the rooms are a good size (even got free parking overnight).

The price was £75 a night. I must admit I didn't go around in a desperate bid to find faults, otherwise I'm sure I would've found a scuff mark here and there.

If you're staying overnight, or off down gunwharf, this place is an absolute bargin. Ignore the laughable comments.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed for two nights. We stayed in the west wing. Room small but comfortable. Lots f hot water. Bathroom could of been cleaning Hairs in the bath crusty feel to the bath Breakfast good. Pool nice and warm but female changing room in desperate need of a redecoration and steam cleaning of the flooring. Really great location for shopping train ferry and museums.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed last weekend overnight in a single and twin room. Both were comfortable and clean. The building and its facilities are interesting, as it was originally established as a place for naval personnel and their families to stay. The hotel is large with a bar, restaurant and reception rooms. We enjoyed a good choice of substantial breakfast options - we would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family