Royal Maritime Club
  • Pool
$103
$83
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$89
HIExpress.com
Best Western Royal Beach Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$66
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
$99
All reviewsgunwharf quaysrefurbished roomsmall poolnaval baselimited parkingshort walkleisure facilitiesgun wharfhms victorybuffet stylesingle roomparking spacespinnaker towershopping centrevisiting portsmouthfull englishone night stay
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is an ex navy club that now caters for both servicemen, ex servicemen and the general traveler. Good clean rooms, though a little on the small side, but if all you are doing is sleeping in it who cares.
The staff are great the breakfast is plentiful and well cooked and the atmosphere and ambiance is great. Well situated for the docks and the town centre and all in all well worth the money

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dodger111
Reviewed October 19, 2012

stayed at this hotel for a couple of days during visit to city , the staff are very friendly, the only downside was the room was on the small side and no bath ( just a personal thing )
would return again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank janandmartinwood
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

It's difficult to describe the experience in words. I agree that some of the rooms and public spaces are shabby and in need of repair, but I found everywhere to be spotlessly clean despite this. Travelling on business, I felt safe and had good nights' sleep throughout my stay.
The evening meals were very tasty and the breakfast was generous but a bit low on lighter options.
The service was 99% very professional and friendly.

It's a strange place to stay, but I would like to support what they are doing and would definitely stay here again on business.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My friend and I have just spent a couple of days at the Maritime Club. Yes it's dated in parts, yes the lift is probably the oddest space I've ever come across, yes the carpet in places is particularly grubby but it has a certain charm. The breakfast buffet was excellent and plentiful, our room was classed as a modern room and lived up to that title with a view of the Spinnaker Tower from my bed! But it's best asset is its staff who are helpful and friendly. Sadly we didn't have time to use the pool so can make no comment on that. Would I return....definitely.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Wanted somewhere cheapish close to the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth. For that, this could not be bettered. I read all the other revues and wondered. Took the plunge and asked for a refurbished room. Had a good, if quirky, experience. It was like staying in a cross between a naval base, a 1950s movie, a club and a hotel.
I would not spend a holiday in it. I would not come for the facilities.
Parking was OK. I found an empty spot in the reserved spaces outside and left the car there for two days, free. Check in was great and professional, I suspect ex navy personnel. The lift I used once. It is tiny, very old but it worked. When I went in the room corridor my heart sank. Bit shabby, chipped walls etc. But my room was great. Spacious, clean, recently decorated, comfy bed, modern TV, very nice bathroom with excellent shower and seriuosly hot water. Did not hear a sound all night.
Dinner menu was odd. Limited, old fashioned and canteen style. But, big helpings of traditional food. The dining room was full of guests. Mostly middle aged to elderly men or couples. Many were ex Navy. I used the Victory Bar, not the worst pub I've been in. Well used by guests. I chatted to a few which confirmed the whole Navy thing.
I went out to Gunwharf Quay for dinner, a 5 minute walk.
Breakfast was substantial, buffet style. Again I felt like I was in a canteen or a naval mess. Food and service was good.
Historic Dockyard is 100 yards away and I had free parking.
Would I go back? Yes, if I was going to the Dockyard or needed a night or two in Portsmouth. Would I take my wife? Not sure. She would probably prefer a more normal, modern hotel. But, I had no complaints at all. The staff were pleasant and very efficient. It was relatively cheap and very convenient. I had 2 very comfortable nights

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. Don't expect a chain hotel experience.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo