“A charming time warp”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
London, United Kingdom
“A charming time warp”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My friend and I have just spent a couple of days at the Maritime Club. Yes it's dated in parts, yes the lift is probably the oddest space I've ever come across, yes the carpet in places is particularly grubby but it has a certain charm. The breakfast buffet was excellent and plentiful, our room was classed as a modern room and lived up to that title with a view of the Spinnaker Tower from my bed! But it's best asset is its staff who are helpful and friendly. Sadly we didn't have time to use the pool so can make no comment on that. Would I return....definitely.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
Belfast, N.Ireland
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Wanted somewhere cheapish close to the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth. For that, this could not be bettered. I read all the other revues and wondered. Took the plunge and asked for a refurbished room. Had a good, if quirky, experience. It was like staying in a cross between a naval base, a 1950s movie, a club and a hotel.
I would not spend a holiday in it. I would not come for the facilities.
Parking was OK. I found an empty spot in the reserved spaces outside and left the car there for two days, free. Check in was great and professional, I suspect ex navy personnel. The lift I used once. It is tiny, very old but it worked. When I went in the room corridor my heart sank. Bit shabby, chipped walls etc. But my room was great. Spacious, clean, recently decorated, comfy bed, modern TV, very nice bathroom with excellent shower and seriuosly hot water. Did not hear a sound all night.
Dinner menu was odd. Limited, old fashioned and canteen style. But, big helpings of traditional food. The dining room was full of guests. Mostly middle aged to elderly men or couples. Many were ex Navy. I used the Victory Bar, not the worst pub I've been in. Well used by guests. I chatted to a few which confirmed the whole Navy thing.
I went out to Gunwharf Quay for dinner, a 5 minute walk.
Breakfast was substantial, buffet style. Again I felt like I was in a canteen or a naval mess. Food and service was good.
Historic Dockyard is 100 yards away and I had free parking.
Would I go back? Yes, if I was going to the Dockyard or needed a night or two in Portsmouth. Would I take my wife? Not sure. She would probably prefer a more normal, modern hotel. But, I had no complaints at all. The staff were pleasant and very efficient. It was relatively cheap and very convenient. I had 2 very comfortable nights

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. Don't expect a chain hotel experience.
1 Thank GMcC_7
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

just arrived back after a trip to Portsmouth . Had been booked into the Royal Maritime Club by
a third party .On arrival found it to be clean but quite and maritime .. But things took a nose dive when we went up in the pokey carpet lined lift to the Bedroom corridoors.. It looked,smelt and felt like it was left in an era gone by ....Like an Instutution for down and out of luck sailors .Our rooms were off one of these corridors and had been refurbished to a satisfactory standard but not very large . These cost extra as they were sold as superior rooms which by God they were in comparison to the others .. but no better than any other standard room in an ordinary Hotel .The Leisure Facilities consisted of a very shabby tiny Pool and similar changing room. Did not unpack Bags . just abandoned Ship..!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Annemarie D

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The worst hotel we have stayed in ever. Before leaving Ireland we upgraded to a superior room, little did we know the two double rooms booked were the only refurbished rooms in the whole hotel. Our first impression of the hotel was ok. quaint and in keeping with the navy theme. Things only went downhill after that. The lift smelt of something unknown, tiny and covered top to toe with strange carpet. The corridors were filthy... all the bedroom doors were damaged, paint peeling off. doors with holes in them, The so called leisure facilities was a joke. The swimming pool was tiny, dark and filthy. We checked out after twenty minutes, and to our astonishment the manager did not even ask why. The four of us came to the same conclusion.... get out fast. There was no way were staying in this hotel for four nights. The state of the place... it should be shut down. Stay there at your peril.

Room Tip: Dont believe the photos.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 234liz
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A very nice hotel and very spacious in all the areas. Big rooms,very clean with all the comforts of a 4 star hotel.Although its an old hotel has all the amenities of a new hotel with very good standards. Indoor swimming pool,library,games room,laundry service,nice bar,dinning and big lounge area.Average breakfast no lunch service and not a big choice for dinner. Very good location, near the port and all the shops and restaurants and walking distance from city center.Very friendly and helpful staff. A good choice for family or business trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elenapap19
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed Sept 6 and bought a package that included dinner and breakfast. This is an older facility that has a lot of history to it. Room was clean and very comfortable. Food was outstanding as was the service. I would not hesitate to go back to Portsmouth and stay at the Royal Maritime because I only had a limited amout of time.

Room Tip: Great value for what I got.
1 Thank David D
retford notts
Reviewed September 22, 2012

stopped for one night 20 09 12 very good location for bus and rail stations two minutes away from local maritme attractions and also ferry port .the staff are all friendly and help full enjoyed the swimmig pool and steam room which was free snooker was also avalible if you wanted to chill out with some friends rooms nice clean and warm and very reasonably priced would not hesitate to stop there again