“It's what i'd expect for the price”
Review of Sandringham Hotel

Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Reading a lot of bad reviews here.. But in all fairness, for what it is and the location it is VERY cheap. I drove there, there is no car park. I did use the 'extended porch' and that was fine to park there. I don't think it got full during my stay there. There was parking in the street anyway if it was to get full. The hotel is at a great location, short walk from the coast. I had a lovely veiw of the beautiful hotel I could have stayed in if I earned more money.

The lady at reception was very kind and made a lot of arrangements for everyone in our group to be able to stay. The room was fine, clean. I had a good nights sleep. The furniture was mismatched and the decor in the bathroom was a bit odd. They still had those little milks and coffee sachets on a little desk so that balanced it out.

There is no bar or food provided. I wasn't expecting it though as it was not advertised to me.

I wanted to rate it very good but there were some suspicious hairs in the bathroom. So unfortunately I have just rated it average. Good value for money though.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Amy J

Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Checked in for two nights with my partner, they didn't give us any details of parking facilities, just told us about their "car park" which is just an extended porch that fits 3 vehicles and each one blocks the other in.
First view of the room and bathroom was quite pleasant but upon inspection, there was a suspicious brown mark on the bed. Chocolate or something more sinister? Who knows.
The following morning, I had ran out of toilet roll and clean towels so before popping out I mentioned to the lady that I needed toilet roll and towels, she said not to worry, they would be servicing my room while I was out. I was blocked in the car park by a works van so I let the lady know and she was just so rude about it. I had to wait for 25 minutes before the vehicle was moved and even then I wasn't informed of this, I had to keep asking. I was then out for about 2 hours and when I returned, the room hadn't been serviced so again I had to go downstairs to ask for some toilet roll and towels, she gave me the tissue straight away but told me the towels would be given to me later. Later was then 2 hours later and only after I had to go down again to remind them of my need of clean towels.
Whilst in the bath that evening, I was asked to move my car as it was blocking another car, I answered the door in my towel so she knew I was having a bath, I went downstairs after getting dressed to move the car and the first thing she says to me is "you took your time" they speak to you as if you're worthless. When I returned to my room to carry on having a bath, the hot water was no more, I personally think the lady purposely turned the hot water off.
I would never come here again even if they offered me a free room. It's cheap for a reason and that reason is because it's nasty.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank supernaz
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Centrally located and within easy reach of all amenities such as seafront, restaurants, shopping, museums etc, lovely clean room which looked like it had been recently refurbished, very pleased with stay

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Flutterby_9
Reviewed August 16, 2010

THIS IS THE WORSE HOTEL IVE BEEN IN the safety catch on my 3rd floor window didnt work the bedroom linen was dirty the owner is rude and vile there is no bar and resturant dont no how they can call it a hotel woman on desk very litte english no car park was woken up by drunken guests at 3am

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank pwh02
Reviewed July 27, 2010

The establishment is rundown, dilapidated and needs total refurbishment, starting with the broken and missing tiles at the entrance. Our room smelled when we opened the door, the carpets are ill fitted matting throughout and stained. Furniture looks rickety second hand, non matching and out of a car boot sale. Our one mirror was placed at waist height resting on the radiator, my wife and I initially had one cup and one towel. Throughout our weekend ordeal we had no shower, initially repaired, but could not be used because the bath leaked, despite the lashings of black mouldy sealer prominent throughout the bathroom. Efforts to repair were unsuccessful so we bathed in a shallow bath to make do. Did not see evidence of food or a bar but we would not have taken anything by mouth in the place. We are widely travelled throughout the world and easy going but could not believe such low standard accommodation in such a prime position in UK would be acceptable to the authorities. All our coach party had similar individual experiences and I speak for us all.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank buspasser
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Encouraged by our stay last year, we returned to the Sandringham for a short stay over the May bank holiday. Clean, comfortable, and the staff very pleasant and very helpful. We intend to return for a week later this year.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Upon arrival was put in a double room even though single was requested. Was charged double room price still even after asking for single price. For £35 the room had no bath taps on the bath. No flooring in bathroom. No plug for sink. Bedside lamp didnt work. A tiny tv in a big room. Milk for coffee was out of date. No breakfast included. Bang on the door before 9am to clean room and get out. Ouerall it had to be the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. Next day i went next door to the parisien hotel. For £20 i got a lovely room with double bed a friendly welcome and all in working order. No contest between the 2.

2  Thank Loonan