“just perfect”

Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
yorks
“just perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

This hotel lived up to its reputation. It was a very pleasant to be offered complimentary drinks on arrival.
The monkey room was very comfortable & lived up to expectation.
Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice available to suit all tastes.
Throughout our stay we were delivered attentive & excellent service through Louise & Gordon.
It's the first time that I have had iced water waiting for me on returning from my pre breakfast run on the splendid promenade walkway passing through Southsea castle to Clarence pier and returning over Southsea common. it is well worth exploring the local area.
Thank you for making it a memorable stay, we will return again

Room Tip: use the website to look at the rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jumbok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

Portsmouth itself is fabulous place to visit on a leisurely holiday, with nightlife,great scenery and fantastic shops.The Clarence made my stay a holiday to remember, with its friendly staff and fantastic food.The WI-FI allowed me to stay up to date with my work e-mails, and meanwhile my wife endured in a bubble bath where she could watch a whole range of free movies.During the evening we decided to eat out, but returned to our bedroom to find a turn back service, where a chocolate was left upon our pillows.At breakfast I had smoked salmon which was absolutely beautiful, leaving us wondering why we did not book into the restaurant the evening before.It was overall a perfect break away for me and my wife, and would love to return again soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Josh B
Hunstanton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

What a delight at last the perfect hotel in which to spend quality time away with your wife.From the very moment we where greeted by the proprietors was apparent that this stay would tick all the appropriate boxes. The bedroom was wonderful ,from the splendid bathroom with its master size jacuzzi to the oh so comfortable bed where one to choose a wide selection of up to date films whilst relaxing.More such hotels in our cities please.

1 Thank shonkey
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise. We were warmly greeted on arrival and offered complimentary drinks. We were assisted with restaurant bookings and advised on places to visit whilst in Portsmouth. Breakfast was equally surpassed our expectation and was delivered with attentive service throughout! We will indeed visit again. Thank you!

Room Tip: Great place off the beaten track!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank donVesuvius
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor I opted for this hotel for a Easter break having stayed at the Florence a couple of years ago (was disappointed in the room we had there) and seen this hotel en route to the beach. There weren't many rooms left (I should of booked earlier!) and as I like my showers I picked the Classical room (room 2) .... and wasn't disappointed at all.

The hotel is situated in a quiet road very close to the parks and sea front in South Sea. No shouting, no drunken groups.... just bird song and peace and quiet. You bascially turn a corner, then a very short walk, then its over the park and to the beach! The beach was much quieter here than further down near Portsmouth and there a vast parks and a cute little boating lake a short walk away. You can walk to the main shops in Portsmouth (wear your walking shoes) or get a cab, the staff are more than happy to order one for you and they all came within a matters of minutes!

We were shown into the lounge and given a free welcoming drink while our bags were taken into our room. We were also given a map on which Amber helpfully marked out some shops, places to eat and places to visit. (many we didn't even know where there!)

The room was beautifully decorated. There was a king size sleigh bed, a small but useable wardrobe (there's an ironing board so I just ironed what I needed to wear each day rather than hang things up, much easier!), dressing table, storage box at end of bed and a lovely little sofa. Plus a flat screen tv with free films! (we watched The Kings Speech.. for free!) The bathroom was lovely and the shower a delight, even my partner who isn't a shower person loved it.

The bed.... oh my, the bed. Best nights sleep ever!! I have never slept on a mattress like it. and the pillows, not once did I have to turn them half to try and get comfy. It was like laying on a mattress of air. (and I will be emailing to ask for suppliers!)

There is also air conditioning in each room which was a god send on such a hot weekend. Brilliant idea that.

Regarding the noise.... we were on the ground floor and the only noise we heard were a couple checking in late at night. I'm a very light sleeper and every hotel I have stayed in there is noise from other rooms, it is to be expected (I always have ear plugs with me, just in case I need them but didn't this time round).

The room was cleaned every day and the cleaning standards are so high! They did a turn down service in the evening (with little chocs and quotes on the pillows each night) and there wasn't a speck of dust or smear anywhere. You get little bottles of water each day as well which is a nice touch.

Now onto the breakfast. The list is large and nicely varied and the full breakfast is the best I have tasted. (the scrambled eggs were how I have always wanted to cook them but never worked out how). Had the waffles as well and they were lovely. The serving staff were so nice and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. We also had the breakfast in our room (for no extra cost) and again, this was top class and delivered exactly on time. Also had room service in the evening and that was excellent. We had the cheese board and everything was fresh and served beautifully.

There was no tea or coffee making facilities in the room but I can understand why due to the high quality of the furnishings. However you can have tea and coffee for free in the lounge (which we did) or pay a small fee to have some in the room. This didn't really worry me as we were out most of the days we stayed there.

The most important thing though was the staff. A BIG thank you to Louise and Amber for making our stay so stress free and a delight. Nothing is too much for these ladies. We loved it so much we even stayed an extra night! Also a massive thank you to the cleaning and serving staff, and to the chef. You all made our first short break for 2 years an utter joy.

Also got the look at some of the other rooms and the pictures on the websites do not do them justice. We will be back, we just need to decide on what room to try out next!

Room Tip: Ask to view the other rooms if you can!
2 Thank redheadedminx
sandhurst
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

greeted on arrival, given complimentary drinks. all staff very very friendly. shown to our room and guided through facilities, advised on room service, bar opening times, breakfast etc. fabulous aquavision tv with all current free films and tv channels, and music to sort all ears.
plenty of towels, loads of hot water, fluffy robes and slippers.
air con in room so could adjust it to temp we wanted to.
staff completed the 'turn down' service, where they turn down the bed sheets and leave choccies and inspiritational messages on your pillows, adorable personal touch!!
we had the wild at heart room right next to front door, didnt hear other guests leaving or coming back.
breakfast - fantastic choice, between cooked and continental, would absolutely 100% return here for a breakaway from normality and have recommended to loads of people about the excellent service you receive here.

2 Thank charlotteandpete2005
west midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

had a lovely night at the clarence, friendly staff, room was beautiful, lots of special touches. Had a welcome drink on arrival and lots of help with where to go to eat etc will definatley return thanks

1 Thank garyandjulie52