Our biggest advice about Forest Corner, and Forest Lodge is read the bad reviews (aka genuine reviews) first! They could not be more accurate about our stay, and I wish we had read them before we committed to the booking - I am writing this after a long battle trying to get my deposit of £275 back after a false claim that we marked the carpet. If you read the other reviews you will find multiple other people have had the same problem trying to get the deposit back and to me, it seems this is a total scam.
1. we made the initial booking via Holiday Lettings, only to receive an email to say the owner had changed the quote to over double the price (!!) and increased the deposit from £85 to £275. Having queried it with the owner, they were very abrupt with the response and said I should have read the 'short stays' section in the description. ... or maybe they should just provide Holiday Lettings with the correct information in the first place??! I should have gone with my gut at this point and cancelled the booking as something didn't feel right.
2. A few days before we arrived the owner emailed me with the key code and also advised me that we hadn't booked the hot tub (£95!) and some other things - we didnt even realise these came at an additional cost but trust me, don't book them. There's no way we would have even gone near the hot tub, it did not look like it had ever been cleaned!
3. Upon arriving my friend called me to say the code provided was incorrect so I gave them the number of the owner. She said that he was extremely unpleasant on the phone and aggressive and almost implied it was her fault the code was incorrect. It turns out the cleaners had changed it – we got not apology for the inconvenience.
4. Once we got into the house, we realised there was not enough bedding for the 7 people that we booked for so one person had no bed or bedding. It says it sleeps 10 – and I also told him there were 7 adults and he allowed the booking with no indication that we might need to bring bedding for this.
5. There were loads of wasps in the house when we arrived (some dead on the bed - yuck) and we then found a huge wasps nest which was an issue as one person had an allergy to stings (the same person that had no bed.. great start for her!) We notified the owner of this but i doubt anything has been done about it since. In the master bedroom you can also hear mice or squirrels or something scurrying around at night and early morning which is not relaxing at all.
6. When we arrived there were wet dirty towels drying around the house hanging off chairs and doors, presumably because the dryer also had a note on it saying it was broken.
7. The bin was already full and hadn't been emptied. The Utensils, sides, dishwasher were dirty, cobwebs in corners of all ceilings and generally just dirty everywhere. Not sure how much they are paying the cleaner but they are getting ripped off either way! The sink in main bedroom did not drain (notice this had already been reported in July – see previous reviews) and hadn't been fixed.
8. He didn't tell us there were other guests staying in Forest Lodge... which is in the garden of Forest Corner. So we got totally spooked as they walked right through the garden to get to their car and it's not very relaxing knowing someone is staying in the garden that you don't know!
9. The carpets upstairs were already marked in multiple locations, some of these covered by bath mats.
Finally, the day after we checked out (and had the courtesy of telling the owner about multiple faults with the property) they emailed to say they were holding back £100 of our deposit for a tea stain on the carpet in the main bedroom, which is an out and out lie! (i don't drink hot drinks, only took water in there in a sports cap bottle, and the state the house was in when we arrived was absolutely appalling so there is no way that I have any trust in the cleaning company that 'reported' this). Luckily because of the state of the house we took photos of absolutely everywhere and could prove it was there when we arrived. We have now finally got our whole deposit back and it angers me that I am having to write this, and that I didn't take note of the genuine reviews before we booked.
This is easily the worst place we have ever stayed and the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Just don't put yourself through it!! It totally ruined a weekend with friends that were leaving to move abroad. Completely tarnished our time there which is so disappointing.
I expect the owners response will start with ''Contrast that with 175 5* reviews...'' and notice how they don't comment on any of the good ones. Probably because they didn't want to reply to their own ones! LOL
Disappointing venue had high hopes. Could be really nice. The area is really beautiful although it is near cross roads and the cattle grid disturbs sleep. It needs a thorough deep clean. Dishwasher didn't wash, tried twice and gave up and washed by hand.Dryer was not working. Left a note for the cleaners regarding lamp shade broken in bedroom which was already cracked, charged £65. Didn't use the garden, the shed looked like it would fall down . Luckily didn't pay extra for the hot tub so that was a bonus. Carpets well stained and the house smelt of dog. Cupboard in TV room is falling apart and is kept shut by keeping sofa pushed up to it. There is also a wasps nest and they invaded the house. Also I think you may have a rodent problem in the eaves. Which kept me awake. I could go on but I am bored and fed up.
We are a family of 5 from Essex and we stayed for 4 nights at the beginning of October. We were in the area to visit Peppa Pig World and also Osborne House on the Isle of Wight and these were easily accessible. For the rest of the time we relaxed at the cottage and explored the New Forest. Our children loved seeing ponies, cows and also pigs roaming around outside. The accommodation was great and was clean and tidy when we arrived, with plenty of space and a well equipped kitchen. I would happily stay there again and recommend to friends.
Had a lovely few days at Forest Corner .The house was great every thing you would want from a holiday home .The bed was really comfortable.. It was lovely & clean & very spacious. Seeing the horses in the morning on the green was a lovely sight .Hope to be back .
This is a beautiful house in the most stunning of locations. Due to its orientation you get the feeling on arrival that it is quite small but nothing could be further from the truth. The house is huge and furnished with sumptuous leather couches. There is a top notch audio system and huge flat screen TV in the main lounge. The bedrooms give excellent views over the adjacent countryside. The property is ideally located for visits to many popular visitor attractions including Monkey World, Bournemouth and of course the huge New Forest were we saw many ponies and Sika deer. The kitchen is well equipped and just outside the back door is a hot tub that to call huge would be an understatement. I visited with my daughter and her partner and we are already decided that it will not be our last visit.
Had a lovely week at forest corner. The place was very clean and adequate for what we needed. Hot tub was very good and we really enjoyed it. A lovely place and quiet area to stay. Thank you for the use of your cottage. Diane