“well woth a visit”
Review of Osborne House

Osborne House
Ranked #76 of 574 things to do in Hampshire
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had visited Osbourne House when I was a child and wanted to return for a while.
We visited on a lovely hot sunny day, the walled garden was a delight, the house was beautiful and very interesting, we had cool homemade lemonade with homemade cake on the patio before wandering down to the beach. This was a major highlight we could have been on a Caribbean island blue calm sea, free deckchairs to relax and take in the fantastic views , changing rooms and a lovely Tea room.
we then wandered up to swiss cottage , which I was a bit disappointed with ( probably because its designed with children and we were a couple) then took the shuttle bus back to the house.
All in all a great visit well worth the money

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

I was expecting fab things and maybe I built it up too much prior to going but I was really quite disappointed.
The house itself is interesting, but needs more renovation, lots of peeling paint and poorly lit. This was fine and to be expected with the fact they are English Heritage, the worst thing was the staff. They were short tempered and almost rude. They looked disinterested and seemed to find their guests to be a pain in the neck!
Catering wise the terrace restaurant is overpriced in my opinion and the menu was limited. We decided to go to the cake shop instead, mistake, the choice again was limited, at least they looked homemade though which I hope they were.
The beach is beautiful, I could sit there for hours on end. And the swiss cottage museum is charming.
So overall ok, the house staff just need a bit of training! No excuse if they are volunteers or not, they need to be vetted properly if this is the case.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Owing to the fact that it was a beautiful summer day, our trip to Osbourne house was more than pleasant. Walking the grounds, down to the beach and the walled gardens in the sun is just absolutely delightful and you truly get lost in the way of life of Queen Victoria. The children's playhouse is one of the highlights with interactive play as well as replicas of the kitchen and dining room. The house itself is kept in impeccable standard. There is a set walkway that you have to follow with guides to help you along the way.
The only disadvantage was the pricing for entry and the gift shop. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my student card on the day, but the difference between the concession price and the normal price wasn't much which didn't give much incentive to visit unless you had the money to spare. However, I do understand that the price maintains the upkeep of the house, in which case the entrance fee was money well spent.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We visited Osborne house on 26th July and despite the 30 degree heat we thoroughly enjoyed the visit. A very beautiful house with stunning gardens and full of history and artefacts of queen Victoria's era. Swiss cottage is a lovely quaint house in the woods built for the children. A must to visit when on the isle of wight.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I spent a sunny July day at Osbourne House. We toured the beautiful home and had a delicious, light, beautifully prepared lunch in Queen Victoria's gardens over looking the green lawns that lead to the water. The service was good and the prices reasonable. We then had local ice cream and sorbet down on The Queen's private beach in some lovely beach chairs. It was a very special day and this is now one of our favourite English Heritage properties! Everyone who worked there was incredibly knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the property.

If you have children there is a great deal for them to do too. There is something for everyone!