“Downwood Curve”
Review of White Hart Inn

White Hart Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 Winchcombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here a few years ago when it was run by Swedish Management with excellent food & staff. I was disapointed as I believe the place has regressed in both aspects. Although stayed in Ramblers Room with shared bathroom it was adequate, although very cold, but an extra fire was provided. The food was expensive & sausages overpriced. Had to send fish back twice as not cooked although was replaced with an apology.The breakfast had a good choice but was overcooked with excessive fat etc. Some of the real ales were good but invariably had to wait to be served as understaffed. Bring back the Smorgasboard instead of the sausages.

Room Tip: Ramblers rooms are cheaper & the shared bathroom has excellent shower. However if you prefer com...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
WHartManager, General Manager at White Hart Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your recent visit as much as when the Swedish barmaids were here.

I'm obviuosly disappointed to learn that you had to send your food back twice. I have discussed this with the chef and he sends his sincere apologies. With regards to the price of our food, we source our food as locally as possible which, unfortunately, comes at a premium.

Regards

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was our first visit to the White Hart although we have passed it many times. The village is quirky but has several shops to visit and Sudeley Castle is in walking distance and well worth a visit. The food was really good and well presented although expensive without a Group on / Living Social voucher. We had a two course meal with a glass of vintage champagne. My wife had the garlic mushrooms and I had the potted duck. The mushrooms were fine but the potted duck lacked flavour. Our main course was belly pork and gammon, both were really nice, a good portion size and well presented. We did, however, think that the meals were expensive if you were paying full price. They have a wide selection of beers and wines but the ambience left a little to be desired. I do not think we will revisit.

Room Tip: We did not stay here but it would not be our first choice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Our policy is to source food as locally as we can for a number of reasons; local food is fresher (it hasn't had to travel far) and therfore tastier, it also promotes the local economy, and creates community (local farmers are some of our regulars). Unfortunately local food is more expensive.

I'm sorry you found our food to be expensive, but I'm glad you enjoyed your meal.

Regards

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We've been to the White Hart several times for meals at their restaurant Wine & Sausage, but this was our first overnight stay, which was to celebrate my husband's birthday. We stayed in room number 8, the Highland Room, which is decorated with plenty of tartan and lots of fleur de lis wallpaper. The room was lovely and warm on what turned out to be a snowy night. The bed was very comfortable and I had the best night's sleep I've had in ages. I have seen other reviews where people complained about cracked plaster on the ceiling or peeling wallpaper - to be honest if you're that concerned about that sort of thing, perhaps a properly old inn in an ancient Saxon town was not the right choice for you in the first place! If you want a glossy modern hotel room with no character, The White Hart is not going to meet your needs. If you want cosy, characterful and full of old world charm, then to me this is perfect. We also had drinks, dinner and breakfast at Wine & Sausage during our stay. As always, their wine selection is excellent. Our evening meal of warm bread rolls, sausages and mash (we opted for Gloucester Old Spot and Winchcombe sausages this time), braised red cabbage and desserts (chocolate brownie with white chocolate sauce for me and a rhubarb crumble for my husband) was just delicious, and the perfect warming meal while looking out the window as the snow fell. Breakfast was also really tasty - my husband had the full English and I had the vegetarian breakfast and we were full enough not to need lunch! All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I would highly recommend the White Hart to anyone looking for a lovely old inn in a gorgeous old town and would hope that those who prefer modern glass box hotels will continue to stay at those establishments instead :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Zanne M

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted that you enjoyed yourselves so much, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Terrific country pub with great food (see separate review) well positioned for both access to other facilities in Winchcombe and Cheltenham (by bus or car). Accomodation is clean and whilst showing signs of age well maintained, however you would be well advised to avoid Room 3 which is not only positioned directly above the bar but also along the main road.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaroonCases
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed for New Year 2012/2013. The hotel is obviously very old but is spacious and comfortable. The food was excellent and very good value. The staff were very friendly and efficient. Car park a bit small.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 29, 2012

After a 5 mile hike, we loved our hour or so spent in the pub, useful wifi and great lunch. Had the Sausage Sharing plate with chutney and chips and great cider. What more could you ask for after the muddiest walk ever?

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Partners special birthday, we love winchcombe and always eat/drink at the white hart when visiting. Very friendly & helpful on the phone for the booking process as I had to make a couple of changes However the forward planning I had gone to great lengths to put in place didn't materialise, staff were really not interested, couldn't find key to room kept waiting ages, finally given a single Yale key & advised to guard with our life as only copy? Dinner: two out of the four meals were ok, other two bland, although no-one enquired. Shame, had high hopes. Have emailed the white hart politely highlighting my disappointment, but 6weeks later no response. Which reinforces my view that they really don't care. Sorry.

• Stayed: November 2012
WHartManager, General Manager at White Hart Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologise for the mix-up with the room allocations. Having looked into this, the correct names were allocated to the correct rooms. I can only assume that perhaps your guests might have checked in first using your name as the booking reference.
I did respond to your email 5 weeks ago using the email address we have on file from your booking with us. If you are reading this, could I ask you to contact me so that I could forward my original reply.

Merry Christmas.

Kind regards

Gareth Stone
The White Hart Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Winchcombe
The Rising Sun Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings

Been to White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!