“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Upper Slaughter
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Friendly attentive staff, fantastic food, great location. Have just returned from a single night stay at LOM and am pleased to say that both the hotel and restaurant exceeded my expectations. My wife would echo the other reviewer's comments re the soufflé. Thanks to Paul and the rest of the team for making an all too short break a memorable one.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest
We are glad you had a memorable stay with us, thank you for your kind words and we hope your next visit will be longer.
Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
West Malling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for a relaxing break away from the trials of life. The setting of the hotel is faultless with views from every direction. Our welcome was excellent and the room very comfortable and well equipped - apart from a lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but we did have tea and coffee delivered at 7.30 each morning. The view from the window (which was a back room) was of beautiful Cotswold houses and horses passing by.

The surrounding area is also quite beautiful and the position of the hotel is excellent for accessing the various villages nearby.

The food is outstanding although both the bar and the dining areas could benefit from some background music. The waiting staff are very attentive and nothing appears to be too much trouble.

We had some small issues, Paul did not enjoy his duck main course which was too undercooked for his liking but after this was noticed by the waiting staff we were offered a complimentary desert wine, which was delicious. Later on in the evening we had a power cut in the room but this was sorted out quickly and efficiently. These things happen.

On checking out on the following morning we were delighted to find that because of the issues of the previous night our drinks bill for the two nights had been waived. This was way beyond the call but what an excellent gesture.

Thank you very much for an enjoyable stay, we will certainly be back.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, on behalf of the team we are glad you enjoyed your stay here.
Sorry about the power cut - we are still rather rural in these parts but it does add to our character somewhat.

We hope you will be visiting us again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Took over the hotel for a meeting,very smooth organisation before and during the meeting.great food for over 30 for dinner and inspired wine advice from jeremie the sommelier
Also stayed for one more night ,the soufflé was the 2nd best I've ever eaten only surpassed by Gary danko in San Francisco so I am sure the new chef will have no problems in retaining the Michelin star we will be back next year.

Room Tip: Lords rooms are best
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your splendid review of the place - we are glad Jeremie and the Soufflé hit the mark.

We look forward to your return visit next year.
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The two Slaughter Villages represent the best of the Cotswold experience and The Lords of the Manor similarly represents the best qualities of an English Country Hotel. The rooms were very well furnished, a little overheated, possibly to keep US guests happy. It is in a beautiful location and very quiet. The service was excellent with staff happy to serve drink to residents into the small hours and also produce some excellent sandwiches.
The breakfast was very good with cooked full english from the kitchen not a buffet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking time to review Lords, I am glad you found us to be in keeping with the Cotswolds -we are rather lucky to work here. I am sorry you had some trouble with the heating - we have found it difficult with the shifts in temperatures to get the right level - it dropped to minus 3 last night again - I pray for better weather.

I do hope we will see you again soon.
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well I must say I was underwhelmed by my stay at the hotel, I advised on booking that the stay was for my partners birthday. When I entered the reception area there were two customers complaining to the reception lady about their room which was not a great start. When they left we were shown to our room, I mentioned to the girl it was my partners birthday hoping for some cheer from the staff member, she did not say a word. Upon entering the room I found it to be too dark from the small, high windows and therefore unwelcoming to us. I went to ask the lady for a room change or upgrade and she said it would be a further £100, after visiting the rooms on offer she confirmed it would be £100 more and I asked if there was anything she could do as we didn’t like the other room and again said it was my partners birthday, she said there was nothing she could do. When I asked to speak to Paul the manager she said he was not in till Monday, it was only when I pushed her she said there was another woman she could ask, and I wondered why I had to push her so hard to try. I went back to the room while she asked and then had a call to say we could upgrade for free which I was very nice surprise and built up more confidence in my hotel choice.

However when we went for afternoon tea we waited around 20 minutes for someone to come in and take our order, then they didn’t know we had the Pure Indulgence package and when it arrived the sandwiches were poor, there was slabs of butter inside which my partner had to take some out even though she loves a lot of butter, also the contents of the sandwich did not match the description on the menu, i.e. there was no cucumber. I also needed more clotted cream for the scones, but did not see the staff member for so long that I ate them without. So not great.

Afterwards I went to get the key for the new room, it was 14:30 and she seemed to have forgotten that we were waiting to get in. So we went for a walk around the beautiful grounds and went back and finally got it. We went to the room and after a short time was surprised by some of the damage I noticed around the room for the quality and prestige associated with the hotel - there is rust coming down the side of the radiator, the emergency light is half covered with black tape, the stool at the bottom of the bed had a big stain and the top of the cupboard is all lifting from a previous liquid spill. Also I tried to turn down the heat in the room and found the dials were all down low, so went to open the door at the back of the room and found that it had not been closed properly and could have been opened easily by any criminals in the area whilst we were out. During the night we were both far too hot and did not sleep well.

There were other niggles that we had but I think you get a good idea of our experience from the comments above, and whilst some may seem insignificant it all added up to us both being underwhelmed by our stay. Maybe I got my expectations too high after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, but if it had not been for the room upgrade I do not think we would have continued our stay. One positive though, the sommelier was very attentive in the restaurant and should be praised.

This review was sent to the hotel a week ago before posting here to see if I received any feedback, but received nothing

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Paul B
Dear Guest
I am sorry to read your review, we genuinely are saddened when we do not please our customers. I know you had been assertive throughout in requesting the complimentary upgrade and whilst of course we give complimentary room upgrades when we can, we would hate to mislead customers into thinking that we can always meet this demand even on special occasions.

In resisting your earlier requests we failed to meet your expectations and this caused a loss of trust which led to the rest your experience being negative. We will try harder in future as we would like all guest experiences to be as great as other reviews on this site.

warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night via a Secret Escapes offer. This is a quality hotel in a lovely location with high quality food (Michelin 2 stars) - the rating showed; all staff were courteous and helpful

1 Thank neville m
Dear Guest
Thank you for a lovely review, I are glad you had a nice stay with us - whilst we only have 1 star for our food - Chef loved the 2 stars you awarded us.

Penrith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending the Cheltenham festival. The hotel is situated in upper slaughter which is about 1/2 an hour from Cheltenham race course. The countryside around is idyllic! The hotel is a former rectory and furnished beautifully. The bedrooms were good however the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. The bathrooms were very good. The food was delicious, compliments to the wonderful chef! The lady on reception was very helpful and welcoming. Overall an enjoyable break!

Dear Guest
I think the title of your review is splendid - it is what we aspire to be. I am glad you had an enjoyable break with us, our housekeeping team will work on the bed and pillow issue you encountered as we try hard to procure the best mattresses and pillows (currently Epoc).

We look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Upper Slaughter
The Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,003 reviews
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Lords of the Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!