“The perfect place for food, drink and good times.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tetbury
The Royal Oak Tetbury
Ranked #1 of 15 Tetbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Had a great three night stay between Christmas and New Year. The Royal Oak was a great base from which we could explore Tetbury, Cirencester and other nearby towns and villages. We stayed in Room 5, which was cosy and had everything we needed. We ate either in the restaurant or in the pub every day, had a good go at trying everything on the tasty wine, beer and spirits list, and felt cared for by all of the staff.

Tetbury is lovely and I'm planning a return trip to The Royal Oak ASAP. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 13, 2014

In December 2013 we booked our company’s Christmas party at The Royal Oak, Tetbury (aka TROT!) Our employees stayed overnight.
Where to start? The recent refurbishment (it only opened 4 months ago) has been so lovingly and thoughtfully completed (just the garden to be sorted this Spring/Summer 2014, apparently).
Tetbury must be very grateful to the owners for saving a local pub such as this. (I’m sure I read somewhere that up to 4000 pubs are expected to close in 2014?)

This ‘inn with rooms’ does not disappoint. And even if it did, the members of staff are so friendly and obliging that any problems would be quickly rectified, I’m sure.

The beer! And the bar.

The beer selection is wide-ranging and so well considered and well kept. My husband was thrilled that on this occasion there were even British beers from Williams Bros and Wild Beer Co. The bar is beautifully crafted and very well stocked and I was so pleased that their soft drinks were just as good. I particularly liked the Bumbleberry and the fruit juices that contained agave (rather than cane sugar) where necessary.

The bar area is cosy and warm and welcoming with an in-tune upright piano from the Art Deco period. I was happy propping the bar up and I don't even drink alcohol! For those who would like to know: if you have a disability it is possible for you and your party to pre-book a table in the bar when eating and the terrain is flat from the entrance through to the right hand side (there is a step to the left of the bar). All other diners will find they can only pre-book the upstairs dining room and private dining room.

The dining room.

Well, it's a stunning room. My words won't do it justice so I'll leave it at that. There is a separate, bookable private dining room as well.

Not a large menu but good, wholesome choices. "The manager gave us an engaging little presentation about the beef that they source and its provenance", said one of our party. I am so thrilled that we booked our party here, confident in the quality of the produce being offered. Everyone loved their food. The vegans amongst us were very excited about being given a delicious choice. Our menus were even personalised. A nice touch.

The furniture is a lovely eclectic mix of sturdy vintage finds (for those who need to know such things, the chairs don't tend to have arms). It would be nice if a few of the upholstered seats could be revamped padding-wise as I could imagine a long lunch might get a bit tiring. A small point but I hope it is considered.

The staff.

Very friendly members of staff. ‘Smiley’ would describe them perfectly ☺ Nothing is too much trouble and they seem very knowledgeable. But remember: this is a community inn. Their raison d’être is to bring the community together and create a t m o s p h e r e. This is smart, friendly yet informal dining.

The loos.
Clean and well designed. Even the 'Gents' is beautiful!

The rooms.

Very reasonably priced. Don’t expect the least expensive to be a huge room. It isn’t. But each room has its own charm and is very well presented. Our employees were delighted with their overnight stay and said they would heartily recommend TROT to anyone. Plenty of hot water. Lovely warm rooms. “Breakfast was fantastic!” said…all of them (the vegans again were very enthusiastic).

Just be aware that this is a listed building and so apparently local planning laws prevent the building being altered in a way that would affect its character. I mention that because on a rainy night, if unprepared, you might not care for the quick (very quick!) dash across the uncovered courtyard and up the stairs to the 1st floor bedrooms. I’m sure they would have brollies available, but it was something that struck me when leaving so I thought I’d mention it here. Personally I like the idea of staying in a separate building to the main inn and its dining room.

The garden.

I can’t comment as the gardens were not complete, however the cobbled stones in the courtyard are beautifully done. We are looking forward to seeing the garden and having some lazy sunny meals during the summer months.

The location.

The inn has a free public car park behind it and its own car parking as well. It is not in the hustle and bustle of the town but just a 1 minute drive (or 5 minute walk) from the centre, in a quieter location. Perfect.

And lastly…
The evening and overnight stay were so successful that we have booked to have our own Christmas lunch at TROT as well.

Thank you to all the staff and the owners too. We had such a fabulous time. We are following you on Facebook and have seen the amazing events you have put on, which seem to be very well received. Good for you.

UPDATE: We had a lovely Christmas lunch at TROT, with family. A family member has a very serious food allergy and yet the Chefs even made her very own meal without the offending ingredient. So obliging. We were really impressed with the level of care and service.

Room Tip: If you have a friendly, non-barky dog then you can choose one of the dog-friendly downstairs rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mrscotswolds
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Recently returned from our second stay at the Royal Oak. We love it! The pub and the rooms are beautifully restored above and beyond their former glory and the attention to detail is wonderful. Lovely vegan choccies in the room, beautiful fixtures and fittings, gorgeous fabrics and colours...it feels more like a top boutique hotel than a B&B but without the boutique price tag. The bar is cosy and inviting, the atmosphere is friendly and fun, there's a wide range of beers, ales and wines and, to top it off, a great selection of music from the juke box. The food is exceptional and my partner commented that his seabass meal was the best he had ever had! And if you're staying in the rooms you're treated to a generous and hearty breakfast. We travelled both times with our toddler and the staff couldn't have been more helpful in catering for his needs. We'll definitely be going back for more visits! The Royal Oak is a gem!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We visited this wonderful hotel/pub/restaurant a few days before Christmas and we had such an amazing time .The place has been beautifully renovated, is super stylish, comfortable and family friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just celebrated NYE and writing this with a foggy head. But there is nothing foggy about the good time we enjoyed.
Stayed overnight and glad we did. Rooms and pub have been furnished to a really high standard and the place was packed with a fantastic atmosphere.
The team here was very welcoming and everything done with a smile. A great selection of food and drink, roaring fire and it's a dog friendly establishment with jar of treats on the shelf by the piano which I thought a nice touch. Treats for humans to with a DIY Bloody Mary station on the corner of the bar (the vodka is Stoly, the gin Bombay Sapphire, to me, that shows quality is all important.)
Unreservedly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in the middle of the week in the dog friendly room downstairs with our not so friendly Puli! Our first impression was that of an old coaching house nestled in a very pretty Cotswold village, and this is exactly what it is, but with a twist. The Royal Oak has been fantastically and sympathetically renovated to a very high standard which equals the standard of many hotels that we've stayed in for 3 times the price. The room was very large that we could have stayed there all week and not felt enclosed. We were greeted by Lucinda who ensured we had everything we needed and even gave us a little tour of the rooms and the bars. We were introduced to all the staff who were conveniently around but not intrusive. In the evening we ate in the restaurant meeting my elderly mother and grown-up children for dinner. The meals were large enough for my big appetite and we all had something a bit different showing the variation of dishes and choices available. Although we had booked a time for dinner and there were many other diners, we were not hurried so were able to have a drink in the entertaining bar beforehand. After the meal we retired downstairs and sat by the log fire which was the perfect location to exchange and open Christmas presents. What a lovely thing to do in the glow and smell of a winters fire. Even some of the staff joined us when invited giving the whole experience a personal touch. Breakfast in the morning was sumptious with lovely local food and again unhurried. We felt extremely well looked after and thank Kate and Chris for making us feel special during our stay at the Royal Oak Tetbury. A special thanks to Lucinda, Leah and Sharry for looking after us during our stay. We cannot recommend this establishment enough. There is now only one place to stay in the Cotswolds. Well done, A 5/5 experience.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Beautiful attention to detail, consistantly attentive extra mile staff and dog/child friendly. Who could wish for more.
I stayed in one of their rooms over Halloween and it was a delight. Gorgeous rich colours, top end extras.I thought the crammed pub might keep me awake but the room was soundproof and I slept on high threadcount sheets like a baby.
I have been back since and had a mosr pleasant walk just down the lane from the pub.
I'm not normally a pub person but this place has vision beauty and atmosphere.
I loved it so much I'm going there for Christmas dinner with my mum. She is highly particular and extremely hard to please, I can happily say I made the booking with complete confidence.
High praise indeed!

Room Tip: choose room 4. Oak beams and glorious bath.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends