“Magical stay marred by a couple of issues”

The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tetbury
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My boyfriend took me to Hare and Hounds for my birthday. We have stayed here before and loved the hotel. We were told in advance that there was a wedding on so were prepared. My boyfriend had booked the Gamekeepers cottage which was a total shock! The hot tub was amazing, the cottage itself magical. We were asked on check in if we wanted a turn down service to which said yes to. The coffee machine was absent and when my partner asked at reception they said they would let him know. He then had to go back a few hours later to be told it was broken. Not a major deal but when paying for a premium service you expect these little extras to be present. Dinner was lovely, all the staff tried their best to keep the wedding guests under control and both them and their manager dealt with them amazingly. When the waitress overheard me saying it was my birthday she said "i didnt know we could of done something if we knew" which my partner had informed them it was a special occasion but again a minor issue. My partner had requested champagne and flowers in our room and when we arrived back the champagne was not their so he had to go out and get it. We also didnt get our turn down service which was disappointing. My boyfriend actually proposed that evening in the cottage so Hare and Hounds will always be close to our hearts but just a few litte issues that took the magic away from the stay. However I always recommend and will be going back!

1  Thank Hayleyandrob_11
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

So sorry we let you down on those important points. I am aware that you have visited before so thank you for being patient with us and showing understanding towards Wedding guests having a good time. I hope we will get the opportumity to restore your faith in the hotel on your next visit to the Cotswolds.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have just recently returned from a three night break at the Hare and Hounds and cannot praise the hotel staff highly enough for making our stay such a relaxing one.
We ate in the bar one night and in the restaurant on the following two nights.Food was excellent and a there was a good choice of meals available.
I have a quite restrictive dietary requirement and the chef and his staff accommodated me brilliantly and I cannot thank them enough for making my delicious meals despite the restrictions. It made our stay so much more relaxing as I did not have to worry about what I was eating as I knew I was being catered for. Thank you.
Rooms was spacious and very comfortable.
Highly recommend this hotel to others and we will definately go back at some point in the future.
A huge thank you to all the staff who made us feel so welcome and looked after us so well.
It was quite refreshing to find excellent service right across the board.

Room Tip: We were in the annexe and it was very quiet.
1  Thank poppyfield17
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Hare and Hounds. I am delighted that the standard of guest care throughout the hotel made your stay relaxing and comfortable. Good food is such an important part of a great hotel stay, and we do empathise with guests whose diets are resricted; we don't want you to miss anything so our chefs will work to make the experience seamless. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Superb hotel and excellent service from all the hotel staff. The food in the restaurant was fantastic and the bar food was very good value. The only issue was the room location - right above the bar and adjacent the busy main road (we did manage to get a transfer on the second day to a much quieter room).

Room Tip: If you get room 7 decline it- otherwise you'll get no sleep
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and service when you stayed with us recently. I have passed your positive comments on to Chef and his team and posted your review on our staff noticeboard. Like most hotels, room locations vary and all have attributes to recommend them, so we try to give a choice wherever possible.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a two night break in October, it was just what we wanted. Comfortable, and relaxing. Pub attached was handy for a quick drink. Room was well presented and everything you want for a couple of nights stay. Especially liked the Molton Brown toiletries - nice touch. Full English breakfast was good and we ate in the restaurant on our second night - very nouvelle cuisine. At the time of booking I booked the evening meal at a discounted price. Tasters between each course were appreciated, and though portions were small by the time we had finished and had had coffee we felt comfortably fed. Car park was a short walk away through 'cottages' very quaint.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Your description of your fine dining experience in our Beaufort Restaurant is sure to be helpful to other guests when making decisions about the style of food they would like to eat. Our Housekeeping and maintenance teams work hard to keep rooms and public ares looking good,so everyone is pleased that your stay was comfortable and surroundings enjoyable.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I called in here recently hoping to have a relaxing drink or two with some friends. the bar was not at all busy despite it being a weekend. However it took a very large amount of time before the barman choose to see me. Firstly looking down at the bar, secondly turning his back on me to find trivial things to do and then thirdly talking to a female colleague for an embarassing long period of time. The barmans colleague nodded towards me at which point the barman reluctantly and silently served me speaking only to ask for the (very high) cost of the drinks. A similar repeat performance followed when one of my friends tried to order a second round of drinks.

The area is full of welcoming pubs and restaurants so don't choose the Hare & Hounds. We will certainly not return. Very poor service indeed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank GOGWestCountry
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

I was very sorry indeed to hear of your unhappy experience in our bar. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. That situation should never occur, and will be rectified without delay.
Do come back when you feel able.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here with a group of friends for an overnight dinner/reunion. I have to say the hotel is really quite beautiful and we felt good value for money. There is a really nice "country style pub" on the one side which also serves food and then a more formal (but not at all stuffy) main restaurant.

We had a dinner, bed and breakfast rate but upgraded to the tasting menu which was really very very good.The venison main course was possibly the best I've ever had. I couldn't fault a course. Only very minor gripe would be that portions are on the small side and so even after a tasting menu we were still peckish.

The rooms are really nice too. We saw three different rooms, two of the standard rooms, both fairly spacious with nice Molton Brown amenities, tea coffee etc, we had a lovely big bed in our room (Willow) but annoyingly the shower in the bath did not have a shower holder so you had to have a bath really. The neighbouring room (Wing-Nut) had a smaller bed but a large shower and separate bath. Note, if you are a light sleeper you can hear the road from these rooms.

We saw a suite (Marigold or Magnolia - can't remember the name) and this was lovely with patio doors and far away from the road. The rooms are in separate houses/lodges so there is a walk to the main hotel building. All in all difficult to fault and would go back

Room Tip: Go up a grade if you can stretch to it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased that you decided to try our Tasting menu, it is a lovely treat to have so many different taste and texture experiences. Chef has noted your comment concerning portions. The hotel and its many buildings have evolved over the years into the attractive place it is today and we can normally please most of our guests with the choice of room types and settings. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the cotswolds.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed for two night autumn break, comfortable spacious cottage room, bit of a trek to the main building. The flat screen was positioned so that it could only be properly viewed by laying on the bed! Also the bathroom automatic fan and light was quite annoying in the way that it operated. The restaurant was excellent, good service provided excellent food including an innovative choice of cheese. The breakfast was also very good with an attentive staff team. The hotel is on the doorstep of Westonbirt the national arboretum and close to Tetbury and Slimbridge the Wetland and wildlife centre. We enjoyed our stay and will re-visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank oneh

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you found the bathroom lighting annoying, but changes are underway. We are quite proud of our cheese table and try to ensure that staff are properly trained to deal with delicate cheeses correctly and give accurate information to guests, so we are very pleased that you liked the offering. The Hare is as you say , well situated for local attractions and most are close enough to be back in time for dinner.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tetbury
The Close Hotel
#6 of 7 in Tetbury
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Hare and Hounds Hotel? Share your experiences!