Tripadvisor

Upper Lock Cafe
Ranked #1 of 10 Coffee & Tea in Stroud
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Recently refurbished haven of calm and relaxation in the vibrant, lively and bohemian Stroud Town. Located next to the Stroudwater Canal which is being rejuvenated in anticipation of it's reopening. We offer delicious brunches, light lunches and scrummy homemade cakes, with trained baristas preparing a range of beverages to compliment your food order. We offer free wifi, a children's play area, books and magazines to enjoy, outside eating and we welcome dogs with their owners. You will always receive a warm friendly welcome from our happy staff. We look forward to your visit.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Nice friendly Cafe with good snacks. Located on the edge of the town. The bonus with this Cafe is it's dog friendly.

Date of visit: October 2019
Write a reviewReviews (92)

Reviewed January 18, 2020

Visited on a Saturday at 3 - Cafe was closing. I was looking for a WC at the visitor centre but that appeared to be closed. A lady who worked in the cafe was outside so I asked if there was one around here (not in the cafe) - to which she replied quite rudely that I could use the one inside (only for paying customers). So whilst in there I thought I would buy a slice of cake priced at £3.10 (quite pricey for a slice of cake and taking the area into consideration) I thought this gesture would be appreciated, however judging by the manor of the staff it did not matter to them at all and they simply wanted to be anywhere else (even though customers were still in the cafe). The cake had bitter icing, was dry and very disappointing...Not worth the money and there is nicer places around.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 28, 2019

Delicious,warming PROPER home-made sweet potato,chilli & lime soup.
This is a lovely little cafe. Great staff.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 17, 2019

Friendly service and wonderfull cakes.Walls covered with interesting artwork. Local paper and dailies provided for perusal whilst you wait for your coffee,tea or panini.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 21, 2019

waited for ages for cold capucchinos slopped over the tray,

cake slices smallest under the domes. .I said ,"I bet we get given the smallest" and we did.
Vintage tea plates used weren't clean.
Disappointed,so didn't complain,just wanted to get out of there and won't be back.

Date of visit: September 2019