“Very basic hotel with no air conditioner”

Premier Inn Stroud Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Stroud
Brooklyn, New York
“Very basic hotel with no air conditioner”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights with my wife and another couple. We had booked 2 rooms for the 4 of us. We were in town for a wedding at Owlpen Manor in nearby Uley. The hotel is right next to and shares some space with the Old Nelson restaurant and bar. Receptionist was very friendly, but check-in could have been a little faster. We were in rooms #2 and #4 which are located down the hall and down a flight of stairs. This posed a minor inconvenience as we had several large suitcases that needed to be carried up/down these flight of stairs. We did not see any signs for an elevator. We were given actual keys to the room not card keys. The
rooms were reasonable in size, but very basic. The rooms did not have air conditioning and it was a little humid while we were there. The rooms had a small oscillating fan as well as a fan/vent on the wall, but when we turned on the fan/vent, it made a really loud noise so we turned it off. We had to sleep with the windows open, with the fear that bugs would come in. I did have to kill a beetle in the bathroom the following day. We were also disappointed that there was no complimentary wifi. We went to the restaurant and ordered some food which they delivered to our rooms. Also there is a Tesco (large supermarket) right next door to
the hotel, which we got some snacks and drinks. There was no safe, no mini-fridge, or even an ironboard/iron. We had to request the ironing board/iron from the front desk. The room did have a flat screen TV. We did not hear any noise from the bar/restaurant even with the windows open. I would not stay here again due to the fact that there is no air conditioning. Hotel could use a refurbish.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Lincoln
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I have just spent the weekend at the Premier Inn in Stroud and have to say it was a lovely stay. All the staff, bar none, were extremely friendly and helpful. Room was lovely, clean and no noise interruptions. As it's all "one building" you go straight from the corridor in the Premier Inn part to walking into the restaurant. Lovely food and service in the restaurant too. I have never stayed in a Premier Inn before, and didn't know how good it was going to be, but I was really pleased with my choice, I highly recommend this and will definitely come back next year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Wendy W
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed at this hotel mid-week earlier this month. Room was good, comfy bed and as a previous review said....'it does exactly what is says on the tin' The breakfast was a true English breakfast with all the trimmings of your choice, you could help yourself to a very wide range of goodies - toast, cereal, different juices, coffee, tea, continental breakfast, the list was endless! The staff were excellent, very attentive. They checked to ensure everything was okay. Whilst there we also had two evening meals, pub grub style, with a good atmosphere and good enough for our two night stayover.

There is a lovely park opposite and a 24hr Tesco just around the corner (great for those little items which you have forgotton to bring with you).

If and when we go to Stroud again, we would definitely book this Pemier Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Fi_UnitedKingdom
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed for only one night, but definitely formed the opinion that this is the nicest Premier Inn we've stayed at, and we've stayed at quite a few.

This particular hotel, I would think has been purchased from another chain rather than being purpose built for Premier Inns. It has large rooms, a great restaurant and bar and exudes character. Lovely. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Simsy1951
Country boy in london
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This is not a newly built premier inn but one that is above a pub (The Nelson) and has been adapted. That said it is in a quiet location opposite a lovely park with a duck pond.

Good points: The room was large, clean and well presented. The staff are very good and very friendly (Claire). They were hard working and always had a smile on their faces even when busy. Loads of parking. Short walk to Stroud city centre.
The food in the pub was lovely and well cooked. A nice selection of beers too.

Bad points. As we stayed in a family room we were facing out onto the front of the pub (but above it). There is no double glazing and it can get noisy when there are a group of people outside. Also I was woken at 5am in the morning by a load of drunks shouting abuse at each other around the duck pond. The following morning I was woken at 6am by the fire alarm! We left via the fire route and were then told it was just one of those things and we could go back to bed if we wanted! Although the manager was far more helpful and apologetic and very professional when we mentioned it later (Richard).
There is also a really strong smell outside the room of fried onions which after a couple of days made me want to gag! This I believe is from the extractor fans in the kitchen.
Breakfast was well cooked but would be better as a buffet as it takes too long to have your order taken and then the food to be cooked and brought to your table.

Despite my negatives they did not spoil my stay as the staff were great fun and so lovely. They are are an asset to this company.

Manchester
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed here for two nights as we were going to a wedding in the local area. My parents who are in there 70's had a standard room and my husband and I who have a 5 month old baby had a family room. The rooms are what you would expect from a budget hotel - basic but clean and functional. Our family room was more spacious than I was expecting which was a positive. The hotel had provided a cot bed (one of the playpen style ones which was modern and clean) as well as some extra sheets/a few nappy bags and a smaller pull out bed on the floor which we didnt actually need but would be useful for a family with an older child. The bathroom didn't have any natural light but again was clean and quite spacious and the shower was a decent Mira shower. The brewers fayre pub/restaurant is attached to the hotel and we had dinner and lunch in here and both times it was again what you would expect, a good selection on the menu of typical pub grub food and was actually really nice. Compared to the cost of breakfast in some hotels the price for a full cooked breakfast was very reasonable. The car park for the hotel is at the back of the building and there was plenty of space and no additional charge for this. You are right next door to a large Tesco's which was handy for us for some bits and bobs for our little girl and across the road is a really lovely park with a duck pond, lovely old mansion in the grounds, putting green, bowling green, tennis courts, children's play area, and a leisure centre at the top and it all was really well looked after and well used. It was nice having some green space so close to the hotel given alot of budget hotels are quite often just off the motorway. I think what made it for us though was the staff. I think some budget hotels can be pretty souless but every member of staff we encounted from reception, to waiting staff and cleaning staff were really friendly and chatty. We asked for a few things like a highchair to be delivered and it was there in our room within minutes. I felt like we were noticed as individual guests and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The only minor thing we noticed was there was some outside noise as people left the restaurant/pub around 11/11.30pm. There wasn't any loud music or anything like that it was more just people talking loudly as they came out and our room (no 26) was right over the front so bound to be prone to that. My parents room overlooked the car park and they did get some noice from cars/bikes being ridden around the tesco car park after hours. My Mum mentioned this to the receptionist and she called the Tesco manager about this. This is a problem they are aware of and are working on but in truth neither noise was unbearably loud or enough of an issue to ruin the stay in anyway. Would definitely go back and stay here again if we had a need to be in the area again. Price wise it was really good. Given we were there on the Sunday/Monday of a Bank Holiday weekend, for a standard room and a family room, for two nights it total came to £216 which I thought was really reasonable. This was booked via their website well in advance of the trip. Oh and one last thing it is only a low building so only one floor (I think) but there is no lift so you need to be ok with a few flights of stairs.

1 Thank LisaJ087
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I went to stay in storud for a wedding on the 19th of August, with my boyfriends family. At the start the hotel seemed alright, but not brillliant. When we checked in i noticed the carpet at reception is worn out , faded and dirty. Before we went to our rooms, the receponist had to check the rooms was clean, i wasn't impressed. No one took us to our rooms. Trolley carts left in hallways which are narrow as it is to get through let alone with that in the way. As i went in the room, me and my boyfriends sister didn't notice anythink to wrong to start with, as we got in, got ready for the wedding and went within an hour. It was when we came back that evening, i noticed things. Im absolutley disgusted with fact there was toe nails on my side of the bed, no air condition, just a noisey fan, holes and stains in sheets, which are apparently aloud and are standard hotel policy, not proper duvet covers, beds not made properly, not enough condiments, why is the toilet roll holder that far away from the toilet u have to stretch over for it, shower switch broken n fell off when turnig on and off, wash despencers are hard to push and don't let out much shower gel, so you got keep pushing the despencer, poor grouting and tilling, dirty taps and sink hole. That was room 24, When we went for breakfast next morning I had yet more problems, the waiter was just anoying, came over lots but to close together coming back, my fry up was nice, but my egg wasn't cooked, when i asked for another it came back as a fried egg not poached, breakfast shoud be included with room price not on top, internet is not free, when i complain and took someone to my room, she didn't beleive it was unclean, in said she could change rooms, but i explained 3 times, we didn't notice things casue me n bf's sister were busy getting ready for the wedding. So by thetime we did noticed it too late to change the rooms we did get a refund for the room, far to expensie for 1 night. Ive stayed in travel inn in london for 4 days and 5 nights for the same price you charged for 2 rooms for 1 night. Everythink was 10 times better then yours. Will not be staying here again. Just felt dirty and uncomfortable. sorry but this cannot be shortened to 50 characters minimum.

Room Tip: check rooms at the start, chefs need traing on cooking and timing,