“we shall be visiting again!”
Review of Bella Luna - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Stroud
“we shall be visiting again!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am so pleased I didn't read the previous reviews before visiting, or we would never have booked! I know it is the same place, but find it hard to believe. On our visit, the staff were charming, attentive and perfectly able to understand English. There was an excellent choice, almost too much in fact and the food was obviously freshly prepared. There were four of us, each ordered a different dish and each found the food to be delicious. The only hiccup was right at the end, when the card reader would not function, but the staff were quite willing to wait until the next day for payment! We did not take them up on this offer as there is an ATM very close by. My husband went and got cash. I do have to agree with one of the previous reviews about the choice of red brick effect wall paper, but this is just a personal opinion. Apart from that the decor was beautiful and the place, spotlessly clean and fresh. We will definitely be visiting again.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Belinda D

Stroud, England
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Eagerly awaited an opportunity to visit this new restaurant in my home town. I am so disappointed. The place looks the business, even if the "ambience" was more waiting room than intimate restaurant. There were a number of swish looking staff.

This was a Saturday night. We booked for 8. The place was two thirds full. We were shown to a table and presented with the menu. So far so good. We ordered a bottle of wine and a jug of water. The wine arrived, and was good, but pricey. £18 + for a modest chianti. The water didnt arrive. No bread either. This is the first Italian restaurant that I have visited anywhere where there was no bread...........

The menu was fine - starters £5 - £7 and mains £12 - £20. We ordered and waited.......the waiter returned to say they had run out of chicken. This was 8pm on a Saturday. About 1/4 of the menu was chicken in some form..........

I ordered an alternative. We waited for the starters. The tables either side, both of whom arrived after us were served. We waited some more. The waiter apologised. The starters arrived. Mine had been sitting a while, such that the salad had been cooked by the Gambas. It was tasty enough, in fact it could have been very good. But it felt it had been sitting way too long, whereas my wifes was fresh out of the pan. This suggests a problem in the kitchen.

The plates were cleared.....and we waited........

The mains were fine, even if chicken was off. The side salad never appeared. As we were presented with the desert menu the waiter gave us a complimentary glass of wine....what was that about?...although it was very pleasant, it felt like the staff were acknowledge they knew they were not hitting the mark.

So....this place could be, and should be, good. But right now there are way too many flaws. Lots of staff looking good, but running about pointlessly. Food would be good, if cooked in sequence, and served promptly. But tonight, it was poor. There are much better alternatives in Stroud. I hope they pull it around. But I wont be back anytime soon.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank PRBbbbb
Stroud
“Different Experience”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

A group of 10 visited on 29th Sept having previously booked. Very well presented table and once all seated we were given the menu (2 course set lunch for £11.95). Everyone had something off the menu (choice of 4 starters and 4 main courses). Asked for wine list and tap water on table and all done efficiently. Food took around 20 mins to arrive which I would expect with 10 orders if they were being freshly prepared. All food was very well presented and the sort of smaller portion one would expect with fine dining. All starters were well received and the length of time to main course was fine. All mains were very good but a couple of guests would prefer their own lasagane to that of the chefs but that is not a criticism but persomal choice. All in all a good expereince and would go again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank SilverfoxStroud
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“A real disapointment”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A group of 12 of us visited Bella Luna on Saturday for a Birthday celebration. It was a huge disappointment. The place has a modern, airy feel - looked promising...We sat and waited for a drink...and waited...and waited. After 20 minutes I went to the front desk and asked the front man neatly dressed in a suit if someone could serve us some drinks. I sat down. We waited for another 10 minutes. Nothing. I went back to front desk and asked the suited man why no one had served us? 5 mins later a waitress appeared - this is a busy Saturday night and she is the ONLY person waiting on tables ! I asked what beer they had she said she did not know - the staff were ill and she had been drafted in from Worcester. We ordered Drinks and food. The prices are pricey for Stroud - so you expect good service and excellent food. Starters £6-£8 Sirloin £20, Fillet £22, sweets £6 so three courses with wine is going to net out at £40-£50 per head. The food had promise but there were some serious flaws. Steaks were good - but served (or so say) with 'Chunky chips'. My £20 sirloin appeared with no sign of chunky chips - I lifted it and underneath were I kid you not 5 or 6 Mcain type oven chips ! All of the vegetables were cold. We ordered sides of grilled Asparagus - these arrived after they had cleared the main courses. One of our party ordered penne pasta with salmon. The dish was served - it was a tiny portion of Pene three or four mouthfuls with a measly amount of salmon and this was priced at an exorbitant £16. Another in our party order the Calves livers and was delivered a steak ! They offered to take it back but by now he was starving so he ate it. A male waiter did serve some of the food (but strangely did not take orders?) and he didn't seem to know what was on the plates. We complained about the poor service and the cold veg - Penne with Salmon, steak no liver etc and a man appeared who I assume is the owner. He did apologise and offered us a free bottle of Prosecco and complementary desserts. The place could be good but my advice is to wait until they have ironed out the service issues and the issues in getting food out of the kitchen that is as described, as ordered and hot !

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank soulboy9
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
“Utterly Disappointing”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

As two couples we regularly meet for dinner and decided to try the new Italian restaurant. I had been wary about the restaurant before we went as I had walked past and seen signs saying closed due to licensing,but hoped the food would be better! The first impressions were good,black tables laid up with smart cream chairs and formal place settings! We were shown to a table at the back of the restaurant and noticed the sticky back plastic on the walls of exposed red brick,tacky in comparison to the layout. We were then hassled 4 times by different waiters in different attire to order drinks,we eventually agreed, the waiter who took the drinks order understood very little English,he did not understand when I asked for some water initially before going on to order soft drinks! The drinks took a while to arrive,half pint glasses were two thirds full with flat drinks and instead of a slice of lemon I had half a lemon in the glass which meant I couldn't drink very easily. The menu was disappointing,was looking for some traditional homemade pastas and risottos but simply a small pasta,pizza and carni selection. The table ordered spaghetti bolognaise,lasagne,a pizza and chicken from the carni section. 45minutes passed,no food arrived and no explanation or apology or even to ask if we wanted anymore drinks. I eventually caught the waiters attention which prompted our food arrival 5minutes later. All the meals were deliver except the pizza and the side dish for the carni. We had to laugh at the portion sizes,the spaghetti was served in a desert bowl with no presentation skills or attention to detail,3 mouthfuls and the meal would have been finished! The lasagne was clearly not hot and looked very dry. I was assured by the waiter who spoke limited English that the chicken was the particular dish that I had ordered,turned out not to be. After 10minutes of the food being delivered the pizza arrived,the rest of the meals were cold. I politely said to the waiter that we had a few issues who asked another waiter to come and help interpret us. Another man,dressed in a teeshirt then came over to ask the problem again. It did not appear they could understand our issues and so we continued to leave the restaurant. I would not reccommend this Italian to anyone,I was highly disappointed as I think it had the potential to be successful with the right menu and staff.

2 Thank KatieR25