“lovely trip down memory lane..”

The Bear of Rodborough Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stroud
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband & I last visited this hotel 28 yrs ago when it was an Anchor hotel and had very happy memories of our stay.
So for our 30th wedding anniversary this year, we decided to revisit for two nights.
Staff on reception were very polite & helpful, both at check-in & check-out.

I had made a reservation in the Library restaurant for both nights by e-mail in advance & it would have been useful to know that a wedding party was taking over the restaurant for the second night so we were re located to another room for dinner.

Our bedroom was in the Woodchester rooms, which were in a separate block. The room was fine & the bed extremely comfortable, but the bathroom needs updating. We had a leak which left a small pool of water on the floor, the tap couldn't turn off completely & the extractor fan is being ignored in the daily clean. We reported the leak, but on a Saturday maintenance is probably absent.

The restaurant for the first night was excellent & we thoroughly enjoyed our meal & the service. The second night in the alternative room was sadly a disaster as my main course was luke warm, so I sent it back. The replacement was uncooked in the middle, so I went without.
Whether it was the additional pressure of the wedding on staff, I don't know, but I must stress that this was dealt with in an excellent manner, so that I was totally satisfied with the outcome.No other diners had issues with their food that we were aware of. I was just disappointed as the food had been so good the night before.

The Bear has been very sympathetically renovated since our last visit & is in a great location. The staff were lovely & very anxious to ensure we had a good stay.

So over all, yes, I would visit again.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

we stayed on a two night package [ april 17/ 18] and wonder if we stayed at the same hotel as some of the other reviewers. we found the staff unfailingly polite and helpful,the food was high quality with a good choice and well prsented.
the accommodation was clean well preparded the decor throughout was appropriate and in keeping with the hotel.
we would not hesitate to recommend the hotel for its location and value for money.

Room Tip: the annexe was nice and quiet but if a bit hot,
1  Thank jh2
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed here on a two night break with dinner package, well lets start with the good points first the pub lunch we had was very tasty and good value, lovely decor in the pub with cosy fire, and the staff were very attentive in the pub and hotel.The hotel is situated just on the outskirts of Rodborough Common which had lovely views. Tea & Coffee in room was nice and fresh milk was available on request.
Now the bad ponts - our room was no. 23 on the second floor and was classed as a bijou double room ! this means very very tiny! the floorboards were very squeaky. Bathroom was grubby in parts and needed updating.The room was on the corner of the front of the hotel with the very noisy road & junction below, as the windows were only single glazed we had traffic noise day & night and as the room was very warm (no radiators on) we had to leave the 2 small windows open = more noise !
We realised that the remote was not working for the very old TV so left the remote with the reception and requested new batteries, then tried the remote again- youv'e guessed it - it still didn't work ! having looked at the dust on the control I guessed it had not been working for a long time ! as we were only there for 2 nights I could not be bothered to go down stairs to complain again, as this was supposed to be a relaxing break. We then went down to the restraunt for dinner, the dinning room had nice decor BUT had no atmosphere at all apart from some VERY LOW back ground music playing, it was like eating dinner in a libary as everyone was whispering ! the dinner on the first night was very nice though, but not so good on the second night with very slow service., the wine and beer were terrible ! Breakfast was only very avarage.
The bed was so uncomfortable and we did not get a very good nights sleep at all, while lying in bed the next morning looking at a large cobweb on the light fitting we heard a dripping noise and to our amazment the ceiling above was actully leaking water onto the carpet !! we had to put the waste bin under the dripping - the water it seems was coming from the shower in the room upstairs, the stain on the ceiling confirmed this was not the first time this has happened. We vacated our room and we mentioned our compaints to the girl on reception and told her that we begrudge paying the whole bill, the receptionist said she could not offer any discount but she would pass our complaint on to the Manager and took our tel no. and asked when was a good time for him to ring - we are still awaiting for his call ( 4 days late now)
When you book into a hotel of this standard it should not be up to the customers to point out all the faults - and worse still not to put things right there after. Room for improvement.
We would not recommend this Hotel and we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Annexe rooms do not over look the main road but have been told that the decor is very tired and not...
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I'm not one for writing online reviews but decided to on this occasion in the hope the hotel actually takes notice.

We stayed for a three day break booked through Secret Escapes. We weren't expecting the Ritz but for the price we paid we expected more than we actually got.

The good points:-

Reception - the staff were excellent and polite, the gentlemen who checked us in was very obliging at our frequent requests and seemed to be very concientous in what he was doing. The lady who checked us out was similarly pleasant.

Location - although isolated, it is surrounded by lovely walks and fresh air.

The bad points:-

Room - looked and felt like it last had a makeover when we were still using pounds, shillings and pence. Probably the staff quaters were better. The toilet seat kept falling off and the bed was so uncomfortable, I can still feel it. The dark, dank paint gave a tomb like feeling. We were 'annexed'. The confirmation stated 'Woodchester Suite', a ruse I am sure as I can say it is definitley not a suite and unless some serious money is spent will never ever be. We could hear everything either side and above us. At least our 'neighbours' kept regular hours so that we didn't get disturbed during the night. There was a view of sorts from the window. No iron or ironing board in the room, we had to call reception and whilst we did get one after half an hour, the iron provided leaked. Even the likes of travelodge provide irons these days!

Food - I wasn't expecting Michelin food, but the food we received was quite frankly only worthy of Little Chef. Little Chef probably would in all honesty have been quicker. We waited exactly 47 minutes for Chicken Curry and Steak Pie. The curry tasted like some rubber meat in a Uncle Bens tinned sauce slopped into a oil ridden papadom with a side dish of a day old hardened naan bread and boil in the bag rice. I didn't even eat half of it. The steak pie didn't fair much better either. We ate in the restaurant on our second night and it seems that they have a curious cuckoos nest mixture of staff, some over friendly, some surly and some doing absolutely nothing. The food arrived in record time this time (23 minutes) and whilst satisfactory, we were still hungry due to the obviously budget controlled portions that we were presented with.

Wifi - There is wifi (allegedly). We called the hotel beforehand as we didn't want to bring our laptop if they didn't have it. The system is useless. You had worse odds of connection than a Las Vegas slot machine in winning. On mentioning it to the staff, it was obvious it was an ongoing issue but if that is the case why is it not being dealt with? If a hotel advertises something it should be provided and useable.

This hotel has so much potential but at the moment seems to be in need of a considerable amount of further investment. We are due to stay at one of their sister hotels in a few weeks so I can only hope it is better than The Bear.

1  Thank silli_dan
Reviewed April 15, 2012

After reading the reviews before visiting this hotel, I must admit I was a little concerned about what I might find in terms of accommodation. Taking our two dogs we stayed in one of the Woodchester rooms which was spacious, pleasantly decorated and, most important of all for me, very clean. These rooms are near the car park so it was easy to unload all our doggy accroutments - bed, dog towels, food, etc. The walking nearby is superb - right on the edge of Rodborough Common and also 5 mins walk to Minchinhampton common.
Previous reviews are right about the dodgy wi-fi (you have to access your confirmation email on your phone using 3g/4g); the bathroom was small, but more than adequate with a powerful shower and also shelf space, which is sadly lacking in so many hotel bathrooms (although the flush on the toilet was not brilliant).
We had lunch in the bar - the food was good - but did not eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on it. We did however eat in a fantastic pub one mile down the hill which runs along the side of the hotel, The Old Fleece - thoroughly recommended.
We booked via The Telegraph's Secret Escapes and would definitely visit again but only through one of the offered deals.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We came to stay for two nights for my father's wedding. Whilst the staff were great a number of issues did arise. Firstly, whilst I appreciate that it is a listed building and therefore they can't do a lot of external alterations I'm sure they could install ramps outside to gain access to the lower floor of the hotel. We had to manhandle my 94 year old grandfather's wheelchair up the steps. There were also no disabled toilets which is something I rely upon as my 7 year old severely autistic daughter needs supervision on the toilet, she had to come into the gent's with me which as she is getting older is getting more and more inappropriate.
On a final note, during the wedding ceremony some fool put damp logs onto the fire and set off the smoke alarms just as the couple were about to say their vows. My father and his bride took it in good humour however, the bride more so.I think had it been me I'd have been furious.
Their redeeming feature was the quality of the staff who were on the whole, excellent. I don't think I would choose to stay there again and certainly wouldn't get married there for fear of somebody putting damp logs on the fire again.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Nidga
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed for two nights. Its a lovely hotel in a lovely setting. However, there were a number of problems. The first evening meal was fine, a chicken curry with rice and some lovely vegetables . The second night the meal was a real disappointment, a piece of lamb that was so tough I gave up on it and ate the vegetables.
The wine list was short with no vintages. Having tried three different white wines(a chenin blanc, sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio) all of which were thin and sharp I decided that they must have been bought on price,ie because they were cheap. Red wine was not as bad.
For the first morning I had booked breakfast for 8.45-9.0 am. It finally arrived at 9.50 after at least a 20 minutes spent trying to phone reception.
The wi-fi connection was hopeless and I gave up trying to use it.
I enjoyed my stay but it could have been better.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroud
Stonehouse Court
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#6 of 7 in Stroud
Premier Inn Stroud Hotel

Been to The Bear of Rodborough Hotel? Share your experiences!