“Overall excellent!”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My Son and I enjoyed very hearty meals on a Winter's evening. The Staff were friendly and efficient and there was a lot of choice on the Menu. It was very good value for money and all three courses were delicious. It was warm and cosy in the little bar area, nice atmosphere.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We read lots of reviews for pubs in the area as we were staying nearby and wanted to eat some where other than the hotel we were in and decided the Butchers was worth a try, it was a very pleasant drive to the pub and the scenery and setting is excellent. The pub itself is small and it was like going back to the good old days when pubs were pubs and wood beams were real.The staff were friendly and efficient.We had the Camembert starter to share which was lovely. So far so good. That was where things went a bit downhill, the main courses were disappointing, I had the battered cod which was tiny and the chips tasted like they had been refried a couple of times, they were very dry and hard. The fish cakes had a small amount of fish and too much potato and lacked seasoning, the curry that we also ordered was described as a madras but lacked the taste and heat of a Madras. I appreciate this pub gets it's fair share of good reviews but I always try and be honest with my reviews and this is what we experienced when we visited.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We visited this charming pub recently with no reservation on a Saturday evening. The gentleman behind the bar was very accommodating and found us a table with no problem. We arrived very early with our 7 year old so we took a table that was reserved later. We were made to feel very welcome, none of that old fashioned rubbish about kids in pubs.
The food was excellent. We both had steak which was cooked to perfection and our son had proper chicken pieces (not the pressed c**p)which he declared tops!
The beer was superb, the pub a real old fashioned Cotswolds gem; the type you would search for when in this area.
A great experience and highly recommended.

1  Thank Martyn B
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We live on the edge of Stroud so this pub is lovely and convenient. I first went with my parents when they came down to visit for the day. We popped in on a Tuesday lunchtime and had a wonderful meal in the main bar. The burgers were so good even my Dad complimented our server on them (which is unheard of for my Dad, he;s so picky). Ever since the Butcher's Arms has become our reliable go-back whenever we have friends or family down. The food is always of the same high quality, service is always good and they have a lovely selection of beer and cider (shame one of us always has to drive!).

We always book ahead and book tables for slightly earlier than we might elsewhere, simply because of how busy it can get even on a weekday! Parking is the only real issue, but an early table prevents this.

Lovely pub with a lovely atmosphere and great food and drink.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Visit regularly and is one of my favourite country pubs. The food choice is excellent with a wide range of dishes to suit everyone's likes, and pocket. The specials are like fine dining and the Sunday roasts give the best meat I have ever eaten. I can't resist the gorgeous but deadly Banoffee Pie. Always a warm welcome from Mark and Sharon and the roaring log wood burner means it's difficult to ever go home. Wonderful bar staff and courteous waiters and waitresses. Along with a fab selection of real ales and good quality wine, it's hard not to have a great time in this hidden gem. A superb location for a lovely walk in Sheepscombe, either to work up an appetite or burn off some of the calories if you've already eaten.