Viner House
Travelodge
Burleigh Court Hotel(Minchinhampton)
$227
$203
Premier Inn Stroud Hotel(Stroud)(Great Value!)
$106
PremierInn.com
$139
Travelocity
Hatton Court Hotel(Upton St Leonards)
$89
$86
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
$77
$64
$109
$98
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

2 nights in Stroud.

Check out my full review at Hotels.com.

Family home used as B&B. Occupied one of the son's bedrooms. Very clean. Quite surprised no TV available.

House is a tad untidy but I was welcomed in like a family member.

Will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Friendly, welcoming, charmingly quirky.

The spiral stairs are not easy - I needed two arms to hold the walls as I went down as i felt a tad insecure - but luggage was carried by the owner, so not a problem.

Bed comfortable, decoration and ornaments eclectic, en-suite shower rather tired but plenty of hot water.

Breakfast just what I wanted.

The whole place was very Stroud . . . like staying with your Aunty. Fine for me, and could well be fine for you too.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Turista-Inglesa
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was welcomed by an envelope addressed to myself and which contained a front door key and a note from Mrs Denny giving directions to my room and inviting me to phone her friend (Jane) re breakfast etc as she was away. The room was up two flights of winding stairs, one wooden and the other stone and not carpeted, but all part of the character of the house. No problems for me. The house is clearly of historic and architectural interest and in a pleasant enough but unremarkable location just outside the town centre.

The room was eclectically but simply furnished and decorated and quite homely and clean. The single bed (there was also a double) was comfortable. The main lights did not work (simply a matter of bulbs?), but the bedside light was sufficient anyway. There was a good-sized kettle which boiled quickly, shortbread biscuits and in-date milk.

The lack of a lock on the wc/shower room door might not be to everyone's taste and there was a constant smell (confined to this room and not apparent in the bedroom) which probably derived from the "electric shredder" system used on the wc which had a poor flush (this is reflected in my low score for cleanliness). The shower cubicle and fittings looked tired but produced a good flow of hot water. However, the shower should be used at first with care as the shower head needs to be dismounted from its holder to let the hot water flow through initially, otherwise you (and the floor if the curtain is open) will be drenched in cold water.

I stayed here 2 nights during a walking trip along the Cotswold Way (and also walking Kemble - Stroud). On both mornings, Jane produced excellent cooked breakfasts with Dorset cereal, fresh fruit and plenty of tea (including a refilling of the pot - a simple but so often neglected detail), served in the kitchen (enabling conversation with the host) at a table with a nicely quirky Union Jack table cloth.

I spent little time in Stroud which unfortunately seemed to have fallen prey to the motor car and had little to commend it. But I can recommend the Imperial near the railway station for its Thai food.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tim F
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Mrs Denny and Biscuit (the dog!) greeted my wife and I like family. And this is what it's like - staying with your friendly relatives who know all about the area adn want you to have a good time. The owner is well-known in Stroud and knows all the ins and outs of the arty town.

A nice garden, a very interesting old house, some sort of merchant's, I think. Lovely street with a nice old-fashioned pub just up the road.

Value is fine, bread is great - done in the Aga.

Not posh, but a rough and tumble home form home (especially if you like cycling!).

Only comment - the bed linen and towels could be updated (but then I said it was like a family stay!).

I liked the windy staircase and the privacy of the bedroom.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank cfmw
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Caroline Denny welcomed me like an old friend to her wonderful 17th century famlly home with its amazing spiral staircases, ancient oak beams, warm paintwork and comfy beds. She couldn't have been more helpful, finding me a safe parking place, sorting out wifi and so on.

Sadly I could only stay one night, as I had to go home, but I liked it so much I'd like to go back sometime.

I can't understand the complaints of some other reviewers. If they want a glossy shiny place with straight walls, painted in shades of beige, with identical rooms laid out on a corridor, they should use a Travelodge or something. This is a B&B for guests who like something a little different; something colourful; unique; historical; quirky. If you're happy to get to know the hostess over breakfast, and make friends with her lovely dog, this is the place for you. I felt really lucky to have found Viner House - I could so easily have ended up in some boring place, just the same as every other guesthouse up and down the country.

10 out of 10 and thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo